What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Saw Boyhood yesterday. What with the Oscar business I was putting this on the long finger but I needn't have. This was pure Linklater and was actually very reminiscent of Slacker.

Slow, sad, mildly amusing and interesting, but hard to love.

fid15076.jpg

On Friday
4 Months, 3 days and 2 Weeks (2007)

In 1987 Romania a young college girl attempts to have an illegal abortion with the help of her roommate. Heavy going, but this is really super film making. The direction, shitty eastern bloc style locations and performances are of the highest level. While there is not much light in here, the performance of Anamaria Marinca as the roommate is so good it helps you through.

Saturday
Primer (2004)

This got on my tits. Their shirt collars were woefully big. Suppose I might watch it again since it is so short.

I think I was entertained by the Avengers, i've forgotten it all. It may as well have not happened. Too old for this shit.

An Honest Lie
A doc about the magician James Randi who became famous disproving psychokinesis (uri geller) and faith healers. Very good film and him and his boyfriend deserve to be in cute lifestyles thread

Then decided to watch Twist of Faith, film about a guy dealing with the sexual abuse he received in the Catholic Church. Brilliant documentary but jesus i should watched something else before going to sleep. From 1950-2004 there averages a case of sexual abuse on a minor by a priest every 1.5 days in the US and that's from Catholic Church study

HAUNTED (1995)
2f5184b5a942.jpg

I am a sucker for period British Horror where everyone is polite and drinks tea from fine china. This is a decent entry into that subgenre - it has a nice twist though it is not too frightening, the most horrific things being the blatant body doubles used for the 2 stars...

Judas Ghost (2013)
- liked this way more than It deserved. Despite some corny dialogue and less than stellar cgi, there was something charming about this low budget haunted 'house' horror. For some reason it reminded me of the some of the British genre stuff from the 70's, in particular Dead of Night : The Exorcism or Sapphire and Steel (small cast, single location etc).

Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965)

bunny_lake_is_missing_c-0-1080-0-0.jpg

This has a lot going for it - great direction (by the talented Otto Preminger), arty black and white photography with nice lighting. Strong cast and a really entertaining cameo from the scenary chewing, Noel Coward). The plot sort of paints itself into a corner and when the mystery is revealed you can't help but be a bit disappointing. However this is a minor flaw in anotherwise excellent film. Recommended

1.png

Ex Machina.

Fucking Awesome. Was like a really good 2 hour episode of Black Mirror. Phenomenal score by Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury too

Sleep Tight (Spain 2011)
Sleep-TIght-poster.jpg

Not bad. I sometimes struggle with Spanish horror/thrillers because the language sounds so bouncy and happy. A solid 6.5/10 for an original film. Just doesn't quite hit the heights to make something really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back