What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Last couple of nights watched
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
kuva+mujeres.jpg

Very good Almodovar melodrama. Much lighter than his best movies but great fun and immaculately shot.

Re-watched Alan Patridge: Alpha Papa last night. Not quite as good second time round but still has some very funny moments.

Bad Lieutenant The Harvey Kietel one. Really good. Is the Nic Cage/Herzog one worth a ging? I hear they're nothing alike

It is, it's fucking mental. Crazy Nic Cage gold.

I rewatched Brick last night. I enjoyed it the first time I saw it but last night I felt as though it was trying too hard. There has to be many better films that influenced it.

Bad Lieutenant The Harvey Kietel one. Really good. Is the Nic Cage/Herzog one worth a ging? I hear they're nothing alike
Yeah they're two completely different films. Ferrera's film is a dark sombre mood piece and character study. Herzog is just having a ball getting Nic Cage to bounce of the walls. Both class but for it's sheer inventive, reckless insanity and sense of fun I'd say I prefer the Herzog film.

I remember thinking that Bad Lieutenant was a load of shite. I couldn't help but feel that a lot of people only rated it cos it was 'controversial'.

I remember thinking that Bad Lieutenant was a load of shite. I couldn't help but feel that a lot of people only rated it cos it was 'controversial'.
It's about as controversial as Pride and Prejudice. It's just good craic that's all.

Edit : You mean Abel Ferrara's version. Sorry, got confused there. Yeah it was a bit controversial. I suppose. I only like it because Harvey Kietel is great in it. There's really not that much going on besides him.

Philomena

b070a7a7-5de0-4fa8-b7b0-c7ee4dd79b53_philomena-poster.jpg

Oscar bait. Around this time of the year, without fail the standards of fare in your local cinema goes through the roof as the studios throw out their contenders for Oscar glory. It's a bit like cock fighting but in this case the cocks are made of celluloid (actually their more than likely binary bits of information saved on a hard drive or disc but that didn't sound as good so I went with the old school celluloid reference for artistic licence. If you're under 18 and reading this you probably won't have a clue about the fact that there used to be a thing called film and that's what films used to be made on. Oh yes and fuck off you little bastard you healthy knee having little shits. Go outside and get some excercise healthy little shits) And the ring for these cocks to fight in is made of the screening rooms of academy, screen actors guild and critics, ....eh.... like me (HA!!!) Yes kids, you can tell these films because they're either A. very good, or B. They cost shit loads to make and are expected to recoup that investment by being perceived to be very good. So category A = Pulp Fiction category B = every single Stephen Spielberg film since 1994. Yu can also tell these films because when you illegally download them from the internet they have a message which pops up every 15 minutes or so which says "for your consideration" These are called screeners and they're sent to academy members just in case they didn't bother their arse to go see the fucking film in the cinema. They're the equivalent of Fianna Fail sending you a box of chocolates and begging you for forgiveness.

Philomena is a shoo in for Oscar nominations because

A. it's very good.

Coogan and Dench are excellent in the main roles, the script is simple and tight, witty, endearing and most importantly engaging. It's one of those clever films which have started to appear lately which on the one hand is quite obviously and unashamedly one very specific thing. It's a light hearted comedic drama which details a womans quest to find her son who she was forced to put up for adoption by, and this is a direct quote from the film "Evil nuns". In short it's an old fashioned weepy, a chick flick. Right got that grand.

But it's not.

The script by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope is far too clever to simply do that and be done with it, so instead , thankfully, they've decided to make it part detective story, part expose on the horrors of the Magdeline laundries, part character study and part meditation on faith and religion and how this impacts the lives of the devout and the irreligious. Almost everything here works, although some of the detective work is a bit tenuous. No one theme overpowers the film, it's never preachy and to it's great credit it is never saccharine. The hollywood schmaltz get's dutifully told to fuck off by Coogan and in spite of Director Stephen Frears occasional use of hackneyed techniques which this genre of film is quite rightly derided for (like ghostly screams on the soundtrack as a much older lady stands in the same spot her younger self did years earlier, honestly who the fuck thought that kind of shit was ever a good idea ?) Everything stays firmly anglo Irish and thusly it remains engaging rather than insulting. Coogan is great as an arsehole, but then he's always great as an arsehole. He's an arrogant and self important journalist and again thankfully the film doesn't get bogged down in the idea of his redemption through his relationship with the salt of the earth Philomena. Dench will no doubt be going up against Cate Blanchette (both of whom were brilliant in Notes On A Scandle BTW) for an Oscar and unless Meryl Streep has a film out soon, one of them will win. Dench imbues Philomena with a dignity and a warmth which doesn't just carry the film but lifts it quite proudly onto her shoulders and marches it forward with aplomb.

and

B. It's exactly the type of film which the Oscars loves. It's British (well... anglo-Irish), it's charming, it's funny, sad, quirky and honest. If there's any criticism that can be labeled at it it's perhaps that it is Oscar bait. The cynical amongst you may imagine Alan Partridge sitting in an office polishing an Oscar and smoking a cigar. If you think that way just don't bother seeing it.

Lastly, for a film about the horrors of Irish history it's again fairly typical that this film about our past is yet again handled better by british film makers. Nothing here is the usual grimfest "oh how hard t'was for us" boredom inducing history lesson. It's smart, it makes it's point and it manages to do so without labouring over the horror horror. Worth a look.

Blue is the warmest colour.

Man that girl can act. That hyperventilating type crying where your nose starts to run is so hard to fake. Gut wrenching at times to watch knowing that feeling. One thing I really like about foreign films is that they almost always feel more realistic. Not to say, American films can't feel genuine (many do) but some are so glossy they lose their soul. I have to investigate the book she was reading in school and how it ends because no doubt it ties in, but I'm unfamiliar. Anyone know?

A few people walked out, which I had a feeling would happen. A three hour subtitled lesbian romantic drama wouldn't be everyone's cuppa. That said, everyone should have taken notes during that ridiculously long sex scene. Hot with a capital H.

Devil's Playground

Very fast athletic Zombies, boy do they run, jump and bite. 30,000 people enrol in a mass test of a new performance enhancing drug. 29,999 start to develop strange side effects and whadya know: its Zombie Apocalypse time.

Yes, it takes one more to make up 30,000. That one appears to be immune and must be tracked down.

Good to see London devastated by Zombies again. But Danny knew his position was Dyer when his gun wouldn't fire.

Well worth a watch.
Watch Film, Movie: Devil's Playground - 2010 online free. - Vidics.ch

MV5BMTM0OTUwNTMyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTgxODU4Ng@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Finally saw Dredd, thanks to US netflix hack. Enjoyable, nice way to go about a low budget film. I'm surprised at how violent it is and all the effing in it. They could have used drokk instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Cornu Ammonis
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back