What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

500 Days of Summer was on the tv when I came in so I started watching it. No film makes me cringe as much. It's so smug and satisfied with itself but it's an oddly compelling watch. If it had been cast with lesser actors it would be 100% unwatchable. All the lame Smiths references are still making me shudder!

500 Days of Summer was on the tv when I came in so I started watching it. No film makes me cringe as much. It's so smug and satisfied with itself but it's an oddly compelling watch. If it had been cast with lesser actors it would be 100% unwatchable. All the lame Smiths references are still making me shudder!

That movie spawned a million internet essays on rape culture in film.

A girl who likes The Smiths :confused:

Surely such a mythical creature doesn't exist :rolleyes:

yeah, that wasn't what i meant you gobshite. i inherited all my smiths albums from my sister.

Huh ???? I was talking about the film !?!??!

The thing that pissed me off about it was JGL's character's reaction to ZD when he realised she liked The Smiths as if there's no way on Earth a girl could like them.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Diane Keaton plays a teacher who embarks on a series of increasingly dodgy sexual encounters in disco era NYC. Interesting snapshot of post 60s/pre AIDs New York. Keaton gives a terrific performances and Richard Gere and Tom Berrenger impress as some of the creepy men she encounters.

Looking_for_Mr._Goodbar_%281977_film%29_poster.jpg

Tinker Sailor Soldier thingy. Yea it looked amazing.... It was good but I kept having to remind myself all the way through that was.

I had a similar experience, really enjoyed it despite the fact that NOTHING HAPPENS.

Over christmas I watched the old 70's TV version of it, which was 6 hours of NOTHING HAPPENING.

Fish Tank
Fish%20Tank%20movie%20poster.jpg

A while ago I was banging on about Tyrannosaur and mainly about how the film manages to set it's self up as the usual british gslow moving harrowing drama but some way along the line shifts it's self into something different and in doing so elevates it's self above the usual run of the mill grimness and as such is a far more satisfying overall experience. Fish Tank which was released a few years before hand and gobbled up a huge haul of prizes may have been a major inspiring factor (or not films usually gestate for about 10 years so it could be coincidence) as it too takes a few deviations from the well worn path and as such is everything that the poster makes it out to be. It's the work of Andrea Arnold, with the exception of Lynne Ramsay and Shane Meadows probably the best director in british cinema at the moment. Arnolds 2006 film Red Road is a classic of british grit and should be seen imeadiatley if you're into that sort of thing. If you're not steer well clear it is a tough movie. Here Arnold turns her natural and nuanced style towards the story of Mia - a troubled young lady played absolutely perfectly by first time actress Katie Jarvis, it's a performance so natural that you're not sure that she's acting, think of Thomas Turgoose in This is England. Mia lives with a neglectful mother and a younger sister when her mothers charasmatic suitor played by Michael Fassbender arrives yadda yadda you get the idea. The performances are strong and the final third of the film is as unflinching, genuinely tense and affecting as anything I've watched in a long while. A rare thing, a film which might just be as good as the awards and praise suggest.

Network
Network-poster.jpg

Occaisionally films predict the future. Usually it's sci fi pointing out that one day we'll all be connected by hand held or head mounted devices which can pin point our positions on earth and make it impossible to get a minutes fucking peace. Network predicted the future of television news back in 1976. At the time it was considered a satire and a black comedy. It's amazing how black the future is then because this tale of a News anchor on the edge of sanity is a pertinant now as it was extraordinary back in the mid 70's. in short Network is a classic. The preformances are uniformly brilliant, though Peter Finch steals the show as Howard Beale the anchor in the middle of a psychotic episode. It features one of cinemas greatest ever moments and possibly best ever mantra"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" and easily the best depiction of a marriage breaking apart. A scene lasts just 5 minutes and for which Beatrice Straight won an oscar. Intelligent, funny, utterly gripping and consistently entertaining they don't make 'em like this anymore. Network is everything great about 70s cinema in America.

Young Adult
young_adult_poster1.jpg

From the team that brought you Juno........ No wait it's not what you think. Somewhere in the last few years Amican cinema had to start dealing with a sticky topic. The extended adolecence that generation x is somehow still going through. At first there was a wave of idiotic screwball manchild comedies that really did nothing for me but recently there's been the second wave, a series of films which manage to portray this arrested developmental state as far more something more pernicious and regretable. Last years Jeff Who Lives At Home made a brave attempt but ultimately failed and now here's Young Adult. From the team behind Juno.... and yes I was not expecting a whole lot. It seems however, that somewhere in the intervening years between the saccherine overload of Juno and Young Adult, that the team managed to galvanise themselves into a tougher unit and manage to just about put an adequate amount of boot into this film to make an impression. Charlize Theron (an actress who I've never been sold on, I mean she won an oscar for being ugly. I'm ugly as shit where's my fucking oscar ?) turns in a surprisingly decent performance as a writer of young adult fiction - books for teenage girls about prom dresses and bullshit- who returns to her home town for the most selfish and morally bankrupt reasons you can imagine. What transpires then is an exmination of the darker side of narcissism which took me for one completely by surprise. This is a good movie. Not a great movie by any means but it's effective as it can be within the confines of American "popular" cinema. The performances are good and it manages not to get utterly weighed down by a moral message. I was expecting utter shit and got something else entirely so perhaps my judgement is clouded by my low expectations. In the end it's a watchable film about an ugly character whose most obnoxious traits you may uncomfortably recognise in a few people around you.

Patton Oswalt was brilliant in it too, all I really knew about him was his being in that shitty King of Queens show and the awesome the George Lucas gag below

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really like his stand up, yup King of Queens was awful (is?) but I guess it paid a few bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back