What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

i watched american splendor and kisses today, both very good although i thought american splendor dashed way too quickly through the whole cancer bit...i would have been fairly baffled about what was meant to be going on if i hadn't just read 'our cancer year' before watching it...i suppose they were running out of time and reckoned anyone watching would probably have read the comic. i didn't think paul giamatti was all that well-cast either, he was much more hangdog and mopey than harvey pekar judging from the letterman appearances.

kisses was very nice. it even made me not mind those feckin' wheelie shoes so much.

kisses.jpg

Nooly
I loved American Splendour , Paul Giamatti was awesome as he usually is in most of his movies. Didn't the guy that Giamatti play in that movie only die last month or so?

Extract_%28film%29_300.jpg

I like Mike Judge
There is something very likeable about all of his work.

He doesn't despise his own characters they way most writers do now.

Hank Hill, Leslie Nope, Ron Swanson, Ron Livingston/Jennifer Aniston in office Space - all funny and real yet likeable characters any of whom it's be OK to have a drink with.

UnFlic.jpg

Alain Delon as a cop, Richard Crenna (Col. Trautman from the Rambo films) as a crook, both romantically entangled with Catherine Deneuve. Loads of drawn out silences with people throwing looks at each other, and a ridiculously over-convoluted train / helicopter robbery sequence.

just watched this. i thought it was very good, your man's motivation for all the stuff he did wasn't terribly convincing though...i know you could say he was just mental, but..

When I saw this I said to my lady "Why do you think he suddenly starts going around killing women" To which she replied "what makes you think this was his first time?" Which took it in a whole different direction for me given his glibness towards murder. I liked it a lot but agree that there isn't a whole lot going on except for Casey Affleck.

Friday i watched
the Fog of War
fog_of_war.jpg

Robet McNamara was the US secretary of defense between 1960-67 he recomended to JFK (according to tapes and his own testimony, good thing he had the tapes, no one would have believed him) that they pull out before it all went tits up. JFK got the bullet and McNamara had to deal with Lindon Johnson. Here McNamara aged 87 lays out 11 points for successful war and in doing so 11 points for avoiding it. He's a straight talker and at one point states that had the US lost WWII he would have been tried for war crimes. This is a fascinating documentary about a really odd man, on one hand pragmatic and honest and on the other hand he freely admits that he is responcible for slaughter. the whole thing moves at a steady pace and by the end when you flick on the news and see another suicide bombing in Iraq it's quite devastating. We're all totally fucked People.

Monday I watched Zelig
zelig.jpg

Woody Allen is a human Chameleon. Here he uses the first 5 minutes of Citizen Kane and stretches it out to make a feature (barely, it's only 70 odd minutes long) Interesting way of telling the story , which is quite absurd and occaisionally funny. Ultimately it has little dialogue so it's not Woody at his best. He later used the talking heads narrative technique in the much better Sweet and Low Down (Which is great). Recomended only to film students.

radio_days_1_x.jpg

Watched this last night. Was pretty good, I enjoyed it although I found myself checking how long was left. Probably wouldn't watch again. But quite a few funny moments and a bit touching at times too.

I thought Zelig was really good actually, I saw it in the IFI and I enjoyed it a lot. I'd probably watch it again at some point.

radio_days_1_x.jpg

Watched this last night. Was pretty good, I enjoyed it although I found myself checking how long was left. Probably wouldn't watch again. But quite a few funny moments and a bit touching at times too.

I thought Zelig was really good actually, I saw it in the IFI and I enjoyed it a lot. I'd probably watch it again at some point.

Actually yeah it was good but just good.

Have you seen a lot of his movies ? Should i go for Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah and her Sisters or Broadway Danny Rose next ?

Nah, I've only seen 5 or so, and haven't seen those. Reading about him and his films says that Hannah and her Sisters is probably the best one to go for next! That's the one I'm seeking out anyway.

I wish the Woody Allen season in the IFI wasn't on during the summer.

Friday i watched
the Fog of War
fog_of_war.jpg

Robet McNamara was the US secretary of defense between 1960-67 he recomended to JFK (according to tapes and his own testimony, good thing he had the tapes, no one would have believed him) that they pull out before it all went tits up. JFK got the bullet and McNamara had to deal with Lindon Johnson. Here McNamara aged 87 lays out 11 points for successful war and in doing so 11 points for avoiding it. He's a straight talker and at one point states that had the US lost WWII he would have been tried for war crimes. This is a fascinating documentary about a really odd man, on one hand pragmatic and honest and on the other hand he freely admits that he is responcible for slaughter. the whole thing moves at a steady pace and by the end when you flick on the news and see another suicide bombing in Iraq it's quite devastating. We're all totally fucked People.

A great film.
The Phillip Glass soundtrack is great
But McNamara himself if fascinating... interesting, blut and honest. It's hard not to admire him regardless of the reservations you have about his past.

A great film.
The Phillip Glass soundtrack is great
But McNamara himself if fascinating... interesting, blut and honest. It's hard not to admire him regardless of the reservations you have about his past.

His acceptance of himself as a monster near the end is almost heartbreaking. Lindon Johnson comes off as a right redneck cock

I was particularly impressed by his admission that based on what he and leMay had done during the war that he would be considered a war criminal had the allies lost. Not many people would have the balls to admit that.

On a slightly related subject - I can never understand people's admiration for Robert Oppenhimer, I always thought his whining and "I am become Shiva" bollox completely self indulgent.

I was reading this: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/mar/25/a-hero-of-science-after-all/
about his brother, who was to my mind a far greater man.

Sorry it's paywalled - I'll post the text if I can remember what my username is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back