What movie did you watch last night? (3 Viewers)

when I started at my current gig I had to walk through security and scanners all the time, and for some reason the lads that the gov contract to do the security are mainly West African.

I'd always work late, and they'd be bored AF, so I ended up having chats with a couple of the security dudes. Sometimes one of them would introduce me to another guard if they were changing shifts or whatever, and then one guy introduced me "he's OK, he's my brother, he's African". It turned out the West African guys all thought I was African, although not sure exactly where, but African at least.

I remembered passing remarks "one of us" and stuff, which I just thought meant "immigrant", or because I was going out with another West African and they noticed that.

What had happened is they'd heard Irish accents, in Africa, from I'm guessing Irish immigrants living there, but that accent just became another African accent. They were really clear though, they knew my accent, they'd heard it, I asked them and no one else in the building had that accent, which would be correct. I'm the only Irish person there.

So, it has to be a distinctive accent?

In the moment I was kind of defensive because initially I thought they thought I was Afrikaans, but it wasn't Afrikaans, they knew that, it was another African accent.

In the moment I was kind of defensive because initially I thought they thought I was Afrikaans, but it wasn't Afrikaans, they knew that, it was another African accent.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

you're laughing but one of them gave me a Lexus. It was raining, and he knew I rode bikes. He asked me what I was going to do, and I was a smart ass and told him I was probably going to get wet.

So he gave me a Lexus. I was all weirded out, and he told me "my family has lots of them, we move them". I obviously didn't want to take a car from a guy who ran security on my building, but he genuinely got angry. Or it's this potential anger that substantial African lads can do convincingly. Not angry right now, but potentially quite angry in a minute.

"Take the car, you will drive it home, it is too cold. It will snow." And he gave me the keys.

Like, I'm a fucking pussy. I'm standing with this lad with a gun, and he's not interested in my bullshit. Bikes are not ok today. It has been stated.

So I took the car, left my poor bike out in the pissings of rain overnight, drove around a bit and did grocery shopping, because turns out it's way handier to put stuff into the boot than on your back carrier and shit. Then I gave the keys back to him. He was looking at me, but the weather was fine at that point. He took the keys.

Just to add, I rolled home in with a Lexus, and my partner (who was also Ghanaian) asked me where the fuck that thing came from.
I told her one of the security guys gave it to me. She asked if it was xxxxxx, and I told her it was.

Not even a small bit surprised. I got a raised eye brows at the start, but then only a pause and "You should give it back to him."

OK.

The Jamaican accents in the Northern Ireland episode of Captain Planet make more sense now

Uncut Gems. Favourite film of the year. Relentless, anxiety inducing early 70s style crime drama with an outstanding performance from Adam Sandler and a supporting cast full of amazing character actors with mushy faces.

Marriage Story

Good. Worth a watch
Caught this at the weekend. Really should be called Divorce Story. It's good, really well acted particularly Adam Driver and the 3 lawyers. Tough viewing though if, like me, you have a kid and partner from another part of the world. The stuff of nightmares. Baumbach really is obsessed with divorce isn't he? I bet he's a big Tammy Wynette fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back