What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

The Cured. Irish pandemic/zombie flick. Got well reviewed here and other places. I thought it was fucking awful. Aesthetic completely ripped off from 28 Days Later, from the army barracks setting, to the main character’s costume, to the dreamy, ambient soundtrack. The dialogue was especially bad, no Irish person who’s ever walked the earth talks like the characters in this movie. I suppose the premise is a slightly novel take on the zombie movie, although The Girl With All the Gifts did something similar and much better, but I didn’t care one bit about any of the characters. Dreary, humourless and boring. 2/5

Cargo. Aussie pandemic/zombie flick. Brilliantly written, acted and directed. Highly suspenseful, I didn’t have a clue what was going to happen next. Used good old fashioned character development and themes of opression and racism to tell it’s story rather than hackneyed hipster visuals. A fresh and interesting take on a really tired genre. 4/5

Another re-watch but something I didn’t like at the time of first viewing. I thought maybe I would like Apocalypse Now more as a mature adult but nope, it’s even worse than I remembered. My memory was that it was too long and boring. Now I think it is hammy, heavy-handed and no way as clever as it set out to be.

Creepshow. It's one of those portmanteau / anthology type films. I seen it years ago. Pretty poor tbh. Theere's only one good story of the 5. The reclusive millionaire in his state of the art appartment with a cockroach problem.

Another re-watch but something I didn’t like at the time of first viewing. I thought maybe I would like Apocalypse Now more as a mature adult but nope, it’s even worse than I remembered. My memory was that it was too long and boring. Now I think it is hammy, heavy-handed and no way as clever as it set out to be.
yeah? I rewatched it recently and I really enjoyed it. I suppose it is pretty heavy-handed but, I dunno, that didn't bother me.

I'll have to reread Heart of Darkness as well.

yeah? I rewatched it recently and I really enjoyed it. I suppose it is pretty heavy-handed but, I dunno, that didn't bother me.

I'll have to reread Heart of Darkness as well.
I’m not a fan of Heart of Darkness either. I’ve read it a couple of times and, while Conrad is an exceptional writer, the story itself leaves me cold.

I think Apocalypse Now might be my favourite film. It's epic in proportion but I wouldn't hold that against it. I also don't think it's so unrealistic either, Vietnam was an insane war. It captures the excitement of the war as well as the rest of it which is something that all the correspondents from Sean Flynn to Michael Herr to Neil Sheehan all talk about as a very real aspect (and the subsequent head-fuck that went along with that). Of course I love Heart of Darkness too.

Anyway, last night Smashed. Low budget but well-acted and executed story of alcoholism. Believable, simple story told well.

Deadpool 2. Law of deminishing returns kicks in with this. Very messy story telling for first half, awful cgi, and just not as good as first one.

The King of Comedy - wasn’t sure about this at the start but really enjoyed it in the end.

One More Time with Feeling - re-watched this tonight in preparation for the Nick Cave gigs this week. Still excellent.

The Hallow - I’m 20 minutes into this and have taken out my laptop to do some work. Not boding well.

I think Apocalypse Now might be my favourite film. It's epic in proportion but I wouldn't hold that against it. I also don't think it's so unrealistic either, Vietnam was an insane war. It captures the excitement of the war as well as the rest of it which is something that all the correspondents from Sean Flynn to Michael Herr to Neil Sheehan all talk about as a very real aspect (and the subsequent head-fuck that went along with that). Of course I love Heart of Darkness too.

Anyway, last night Smashed. Low budget but well-acted and executed story of alcoholism. Believable, simple story told well.

A pompous overblown, bumptious, over produced , badly acted and unbelievably exaggerated pile of crap. Have you seen Godfather (first one) lately? - OMG that movie has aged terribly. I am beginning to thing Francis Fords Coppolas two best works were the second Godfather and The Conversation.

Cargo. Aussie pandemic/zombie flick. Brilliantly written, acted and directed. Highly suspenseful, I didn’t have a clue what was going to happen next. Used good old fashioned character development and themes of opression and racism to tell it’s story rather than hackneyed hipster visuals. A fresh and interesting take on a really tired genre. 4/5

Cargo was shite and those wacist themes would be right up a SJW's back passage like yourself.. so can easily see why you liked it.

Bet you were out celebrating the Eight last week and all.

The King of Comedy - wasn’t sure about this at the start but really enjoyed it in the end.

You only got to see The King of Comedy recently..like where have you been the last 35 yrs!!

In a way I envy you because that is without doubt in my top 3 Scorcese' movies.

A pompous overblown, bumptious, over produced , badly acted and unbelievably exaggerated pile of crap. Have you seen Godfather (first one) lately? - OMG that movie has aged terribly. I am beginning to thing Francis Fords Coppolas two best works were the second Godfather and The Conversation.
Actually the Conversation was always the one I thought overrated. People incorrectly assuming it was worthier because it's boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back