What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

The Young Offenders. Two cork lads doing their bit for bord failte. It was pretty good, some good lines. Irish films need faster editing. You could have shaved 15 minutes off of this. Almost every shot was too long.

Original Halloween and Texas Chain Saw Massacre. TCM is such a freakish film. Halloween is obviously better crafted, written, shot, acted and directed, but TCM has the edge just for pure primal, freakshow terror and being a full blown assault on the senses.

Original Halloween and Texas Chain Saw Massacre. TCM is such a freakish film. Halloween is obviously better crafted, written, shot, acted and directed, but TCM has the edge just for pure primal, freakshow terror and being a full blown assault on the senses.
Both 5/5 though. Along with The Exorcist the best horror films ever.

Having made a balls of recording Poltergeist, I ended up watching A Dark Song last night. Irish co-produced horror, shot in Ireland. Not bad; good premise, started with good prospects but fell short by the end.
Having disliked Dogtooth and hated the Lobster, I decided to go see The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It wasn't bad; all goes a bit Haneke by the end.

Having made a balls of recording Poltergeist, I ended up watching A Dark Song last night. Irish co-produced horror, shot in Ireland. Not bad; good premise, started with good prospects but fell short by the end.
Having disliked Dogtooth and hated the Lobster, I decided to go see The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It wasn't bad; all goes a bit Haneke by the end.

Murder On The Orient Express. The new Kenneth Branagh one. I enjoyed it - i've never read the book or seen any of the other adaptations. Almost two hours long but some of the cast barely got a look in.

Oh and his facial hair is ridiculous.

The One I Love. Sci fi mystery about a couple who go to an isolated guesthouse to try and save their marriage and discover an alternate reality with idealised versions of themselves. Very good. Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss both excellent

The Killing Of A Sacred Deer. Really liked it. You really don't have a clue how this lad's movies are going to end. Young irish dude from love/hate and Dunkirk fame was brilliant. and great to see Alicia Silverstone make an appearance once again

Dogtooth. Finally. Very good. Very deadpan.

Oh and also Close Encounters Of 3Rd Kind. With the young 'un. Great for a while. Then goes a bit Spielberg.

Finally went to see blade runner 2049. The first bladerunner is in my top 10 so I was wary. I was hoping it wouldn't be "too modern" I find the way most modern Hollywood films are made incredibly annoying. OTT CGI, hyper editing, constant explosions, shit acting, unfunny jokes ect...(One of the trailers before hand was for a remake of jumanji. Everything I hate about modern films, right there)

Overall, I was impressed. I think they got the right balance. The CGI was tastefully used. The editing was at a watchable pace and the acting subtle & nuanced. The didn't try to force in bad comedy elements either.

It is a bit too long though & I missed the 40's style noir feel of the 1982 film.
I would watch it again but I probably wouldn't be watching it as many times as I've watched the original flick.

A bit much to be expecting something on par with the original, which would also be top 10 for me. I think they got most things spot on.

Watched Blood Simple again over the weekend. It's been years and it's even better than I remember it to be.
lead_large.png

Killing Of A Sacred Deer. I liked it but not as much as his last one.

Really weird direction in terms of the acting, or lack of it. It was mostly just people saying the dialogue. I thought it made the thing feel quite detached and cold, however it did make the one bit of emotive acting hit me very hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ilovehoovering
  • Cornu Ammonis
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back