What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

Fish Tank
Fish%20Tank%20movie%20poster.jpg

A while ago I was banging on about Tyrannosaur and mainly about how the film manages to set it's self up as the usual british gslow moving harrowing drama but some way along the line shifts it's self into something different and in doing so elevates it's self above the usual run of the mill grimness and as such is a far more satisfying overall experience. Fish Tank which was released a few years before hand and gobbled up a huge haul of prizes may have been a major inspiring factor (or not films usually gestate for about 10 years so it could be coincidence) as it too takes a few deviations from the well worn path and as such is everything that the poster makes it out to be. It's the work of Andrea Arnold, with the exception of Lynne Ramsay and Shane Meadows probably the best director in british cinema at the moment. Arnolds 2006 film Red Road is a classic of british grit and should be seen imeadiatley if you're into that sort of thing. If you're not steer well clear it is a tough movie. Here Arnold turns her natural and nuanced style towards the story of Mia - a troubled young lady played absolutely perfectly by first time actress Katie Jarvis, it's a performance so natural that you're not sure that she's acting, think of Thomas Turgoose in This is England. Mia lives with a neglectful mother and a younger sister when her mothers charasmatic suitor played by Michael Fassbender arrives yadda yadda you get the idea. The performances are strong and the final third of the film is as unflinching, genuinely tense and affecting as anything I've watched in a long while. A rare thing, a film which might just be as good as the awards and praise suggest.

Yes. I loved this film, there wasn't a stray foot in my opinion. I love the story of how they found katie jervis for the role, and basically anything with either treadaway twin in it gets my seal of approval.

Possession (1981)
5956_833c_780.jpeg

Bizarre and hysterical portrayal of a marriage breakup and the effects on all parties involved. It incorporates so much - psychological drama, body horror, even interpretive dance in places. It's a bit of a mess, one review describes it as a "carnival of nose bleeds" and that's a pretty succinct description. Great in places though, not least for it's amazing sets and locations, made me want to go back to Berlin.

Possession (1981)
5956_833c_780.jpeg

Bizarre and hysterical portrayal of a marriage breakup and the effects on all parties involved. It incorporates so much - psychological drama, body horror, even interpretive dance in places. It's a bit of a mess, one review describes it as a "carnival of nose bleeds" and that's a pretty succinct description. Great in places though, not least for it's amazing sets and locations, made me want to go back to Berlin.

mad film. the bit in the subway tunnel is outrageous. i loved it.

mad film. the bit in the subway tunnel is outrageous. i loved it.

When it's gross it's great. Loved the body horror bits and loved Heinrich, what a delightful disgusting character! All the shrieking can become a bit much though. It's one of those movies where you feel you could be vaguely getting what it's about or missing 90% of it altogether.

It sort of reminded me of a more shrill version of this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057427/?ref_=sr_2

Rust & Bone. Terrific stuff. Marion Cotillard is brilliant in this. She gives an incredibly nuanced performance. Matthias Schoenaerts is equally as good. He looks genuinely hard compared to the bland pretty boys they pass off as tough guys in American movies. Director Jacques Audiard is really knocking them out of the park. Terrific film after terrific film. My only minor complaint was the occasional use of Bon Iver on the soundtrack!

Blue Valentine. So so. I think this film is overrated by people who want to bone Ryan Gosling. It was well acted, yes, but it was also worthy, dull, too long and really corny in places. Also, Ryan Gosling's bald make up was really distracting.

Blue Valentine. So so. I think this film is overrated by people who want to bone Ryan Gosling. It was well acted, yes, but it was also worthy, dull, too long and really corny in places. Also, Ryan Gosling's bald make up was really distracting.

So in point, Rust & Bone is romantic drama done properly and Blue Valentine pretentious hipster guff.

I found it uncomfortable. Mostly because it was realistic in some places (at least from my female perspective) but I found Ryan Gosling utterly annoying. Any like I have of him comes from Lars and the Real Girls because he was brilliant.

50-50

Joseph Gordon Levitt has cancer, Seth Rogan is in it playing one of his stock Seth Rogan mate roles (the one that has sex), Anna Kendrik plays his therapist in a typically Anna Kendrikian manner. Quite good nonetheless. Bryce Dallas Howard plays an utter wagon but I haven't seen her in enough things to know if that's to type.

Wow, so am I a hipster because I like Ryan Gosling? Blue Valentine is the most on the money snapshot of a break-up I think I've ever seen. As much as I enjoyed the bare-knuckle boxer with a heart of gold making out with the glamour-model amputee; it didn't resonate with me half as much as your pretentious guff I have to say.

Anyway, last night it was Groundhog Day. Forgot just how good this is. Script is zinging throughout and Bill Murray is at his very best.

Also Les Revenants. The sleepiest, most serene zombie movie you'll ever watch. Pretty good:
46ZGiMgXF2oNKDdcYWAzK60WkyL.jpg

Wow, so am I a hipster because I like Ryan Gosling? Blue Valentine is the most on the money snapshot of a break-up I think I've ever seen. As much as I enjoyed the bare-knuckle boxer with a heart of gold making out with the glamour-model amputee; it didn't resonate with me half as much as your pretentious guff I have to say.

Ha ha, I like Gosling too. I just didn't enjoy Blue Valentine. I am looking forward to The Place Beyond The Pines though. Are you a hipster, Hermie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back