What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Sátántangó

Sátántangó - Wikipedia

another one of the movies that you absolutely have to watch at some point, even though it’s a serious commitment (seven and a half hours of rural hungarian rain and alcoholism). I saw it before, about a decade ago, but saw it again last night. it was being shown here without breaks, in restored/remastered 4k, in a museum-type space, with specially-commissioned live soundtrack extras... and comfy chairs. pretty amazing.

but the thing itself is pretty much astonishing. you just have to sink into it and accept that sometimes it can be amazing to see a ten-minute unbroken shot of an owl perched on a balcony, or a child walking along a muddy road in the rain, or a man being driven mad by the sound of faraway bells as he stares out the window.

the word masterpiece is thrown around way too easily, but every so often it’s truly deserved. it’s an amazing movie.

Sátántangó

Sátántangó - Wikipedia

another one of the movies that you absolutely have to watch at some point, even though it’s a serious commitment (seven and a half hours of rural hungarian rain and alcoholism). I saw it before, about a decade ago, but saw it again last night. it was being shown here without breaks, in restored/remastered 4k, in a museum-type space, with specially-commissioned live soundtrack extras... and comfy chairs. pretty amazing.

but the thing itself is pretty much astonishing. you just have to sink into it and accept that sometimes it can be amazing to see a ten-minute unbroken shot of an owl perched on a balcony, or a child walking along a muddy road in the rain, or a man being driven mad by the sound of faraway bells as he stares out the window.

the word masterpiece is thrown around way too easily, but every so often it’s truly deserved. it’s an amazing movie.
Sounds like hell.

Sátántangó

Sátántangó - Wikipedia

Great flick. it's on in the ifi in 4k at the end of this month. Never seen it on a big screen, so will be bagging a ticket for that!

Watched Infinity Pool tonight in Omniplex Rathmines. Very much Winding Refn and Noe for the cookie-cutter set, sorry to say. Seemed interminable at times. Seems bereft of any original or interesting ideas either visually or in a broader, non-cinematic sense...his earlier flick Possessor was also piss-poor [tesco value-fied Jonathan Glazerisms abound].

As part of an Oscar rewatch, where I rewatch a few films from the 90s and 00s every year usually to clarify what an absolute joke the Oscars or any awards-based thing are in general, watched Boys Don't Cry... typically post-Van Sant in character feel and visuals attempting to essay white trash America in a lyrical light... top turns from Peter Saarsgaard and Brendan Sexton III offering malevolent pothead vibes not a million miles from River's Edge.

Went to The Beasts yesterday in the ifi.... worth a look for the first 2/3s or so. Once that tension culminates and disperses, it kind of turns into a more formulaic stoic drama/ character study thing. Unreal acting from the boys playing the aggrieved hillbillies.

Watched The Entertainer Saturday night... Olivier, class. Tony Richardson is a weak-ass director though imo. Could have been better.

Mummies: Pretty uninteresting and generic kids animation.
Super Mario Bros.: I like this - it was funny, kept the pace up, and was peppered with lots of jokes for the dads who grew up playing on the NES.
Page Eight: Spy drama, very John Le Carre but not quite as good. Bill Nighy is great in it, will look for the sequels to it.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: Cinematic masterpiece. All opinions to the contrary are void.

Super Mario Bros.: I like this - it was funny, kept the pace up, and was peppered with lots of jokes for the dads who grew up playing on the NES.
That Mario Bros film is getting absolutely panned haha
Getting panned by people who have to see it for work, but doing gangbusters numbers with the people who want to see it for fun
I love Critic/Audience dissonance like this
1681077410480.png

Close to $400m in a weekend?
I mean fucking hell

Getting panned by people who have to see it for work, but doing gangbusters numbers with the people who want to see it for fun
I love Critic/Audience dissonance like this
View attachment 16910

Close to $400m in a weekend?
I mean fucking hell
See, I was right - the critics are Sega nerds
879F83ED-2EE6-43D1-9FD0-39F34FFA4033.jpeg

Sonic was the last video game I played
Back in the 80s, I think
It was left to right, none of this modern running around stuff. Harumph etc.

Ivan’s Childhood 1962 ‘Иваново детство’ Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky
During World War II, 12-year old Ivan works as a spy on the eastern front. The small Ivan can cross the German lines unnoticed to collect information. Three Soviet officers try to take care of this boy-child.
I just watched this without reading or knowing anything about it, I thought from the title it might be a charming feel-good film and it wasn't really but it was very good.

A Necklace for My Beloved 1971 ‘სამკაული ჩემი სატრფოსათვის’ Directed by Tengiz Abuladze
Three guys are living in a Dagestan aul, and all three are in love with the blue-eyed Serminaz. According to a mountaineers’ tradition, a young man seeking the hand and the heart of a beloved girl has to make her a present that she would remember for the rest of her life. The friends set out in search of the special gift…
This was a charming feel-good film, silly nonsense set/filmed in Dagestan.

I was going to watch My Friend Ivan Lapshin tonight but I haven't yet found any version with the audio and picture properly synced. Fuck it anyway.

The stone tape (1972)
I bought this a few weeks ago to add to the Brit horror collection. It's a TV movie movie shot on videotape with a Script by Nigel Kneale. A supernatural ghost story about a team of researchers investing strange goings on in any old building. It's very of its time. Loads of clunky old equipment used to record paranormal activity. Creepy in places, maybe a bit too long and the acting goes from gruff and shouty to quivering and hysterical. Not bad though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back