What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

i watched hellboy last night - for some reason, i thought i'd seen it before. general impression was that it was underwhelming. seemed to just be a hodepodge of poorly written scenes strung together, with stupid leaps of logic.

i watched hellboy last night - for some reason, i thought i'd seen it before. general impression was that it was underwhelming. seemed to just be a hodepodge of poorly written scenes strung together, with stupid leaps of logic.
Before I cancel you - which Hellboy? The Del Toro one or the recent one with the sheriff from Stranger Things?

Plane. Gerard Butler is an airplane pilot who crash-lands on Sentinel island (may as well be) and has to try and save all his passengers from the evil warlords who want to be Al Leong in Die Hard (there's at least two of them rivalling his haircut).
This is of course a load of bollocks, but it's the kind of load of bollocks I love watching, naturally. In all fairness, oul Gerard is actually good in this role, I think he's actually a pretty good actor when given the chance. Unfortunately he doesn't really get much chance here of course.
There are actually some nice things about this film, basically the way the whole buildup to the plane crash and a lot of the cockpit and flight crew scenes are actually pretty cool - despite the ludicrous premise of the film, they've actually made an effort to try and pull the whole thing off in a semi-believable manner, which does help the thing get by. It's like, okay we're going to get a load of silly action with bullets flying all over the place etc etc, but I actually do like the fact that what the characters are doing in most of these silly action scenes do in fact have logical reasons behind their actions. I think basically what I'm saying is that although this film does of course get silly, and there is of course some exceptionally amusing plane CGI bits, a lot of the action scenes in the film do make their own internal sense and are pretty well executed, which is cool. It's a bit like the shoot-out in that Den Of Thieves film - very well executed action that of course would never happen.

OSCAR NOMINATED An Cailín Ciúin/ The Quiet Girl

I had completed forgotten what happened in Foster because I read it like 8 years go or something but I remember feeling this moved by it as well. Never falls into over-sentimentalization or melodrama.

NO PLOT THOUGH LADS. No Nazis, guy doesn't get the girl, no explosions, barely any fighting, no boobs, nothin, moves along incredibly slowly, no ending, no fucking beginning, you'd all hate it.

Triangle of Sadness. I really enjoyed the first two parts. The satire is fairly undergraduate to be fair, but it was still very funny in parts. Haneke meets Wes Anderson. The third part however was much more obvious and overly long. Boring even. 7/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

• shidheat
  • rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back