What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Kids (4 years old) have started watching films. Have tried two from the library so far.

Beauty and the Beast (1991)
Good. Thought the wolves and the beast would be a bit scary, but they haven't had nightmares anyway. They did laugh at some killings, so that's a worry maybe. Songs grand but pretty forgettable.

The Aristocats (1970)
Slower pace and older style animation, didn't hold the attention quite as well. Animation on the cat movement is brilliant.

We (adults) watched Kevin Costner Cuban Missile Crisis political thriller Thirteen Days (2000). Which was good enough.
We have watched The Aristocats about 10 times since this. Firm favourite.

Tried Aladdin but "this is boring" after 10 minutes.

5 minutes, at least, of crappy credits at the beginning of 101 Dalmatians and it kicked off with physically describing different women, meant it got offed very quickly.

Frozen is very good. Breaking news.

We have watched The Aristocats about 10 times since this. Firm favourite.

Tried Aladdin but "this is boring" after 10 minutes.

5 minutes, at least, of crappy credits at the beginning of 101 Dalmatians and it kicked off with physically describing different women, meant it got offed very quickly.

Frozen is very good. Breaking news.
Oh, this reminds me, i never finished all my Disney reviews in this thread, we at very least got through the 90s before being confronted with fucking Fantasia 2000 which we can't bring ourselves to watch

I am about an hour into the Nic Cage movie and it is great fun

Actual legit spoiler that could detract from people thinking about watching this

I just found this on youtube, which was cut from the movie for no sane reason
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Where the Crawdads Sing. Overlong. The romances the protagonist has are integral to the story but it felt like it veers uncomfortably into "chick-flick" territory. It's a shame because the story was decent and the acting was good. It also looked nice. But ultimately I wasn't that impressed. I also guessed the twist in the end about a third of the way through the movie,

The Eiger sanction (1975)
Clint Eastwood as a collage lecturer who previously worked as an international spy and fixer is convinced to do one last hit. He also climbs a mountain for some reason. It's well made, but the plot is a mess. But I'm a fan of hit 60s & 70s films in general.

the script is somewhat 'direct' but kinda comical in it too. he did similar tricks in another eastwood movie i watched recently. anywhoo - visually great, sounds lovely, plot is a laugh. probably downloaded because of this post

Just when I see some Eastwood chat, The Rookie was the best Eastwood film I've seen recently.

Completely overlooked in his oeuvre. Sheen and Eastwood work the bollocks off the thing. Serious craic from the get go.

I'd also recommend the DePalma derivative Tight-rope.

Two unexpected Eastwood delights. Playful.

Less so, but if you have the time, A Perfect World. Feels more directed by Costner and his values/ concerns. Some ponderous scenes and direction. Masculinity, eh?]

[Rented an Eastwood boxset or two out of Castletymon library.]

the script is somewhat 'direct' but kinda comical in it too. he did similar tricks in another eastwood movie i watched recently. anywhoo - visually great, sounds lovely, plot is a laugh. probably downloaded because of this post
The dialogue is so bad. Sexy rape jokes. Unsexy rape jokes. But I love this movie. I even bought the John Williams soundtrack. Great supporting cast with George Kennedy and Jack Cassidy and this guy

Attachments

• R (1).jpg
    R (1).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
The dialogue is so bad. Sexy rape jokes. Unsexy rape jokes. But I love this movie. I even bought the John Williams soundtrack. Great supporting cast with George Kennedy and Jack Cassidy and this guy

I was reading up the wiki of JAck Cassidy after....

- ....one of his last roles and it sounds like he was struggling around that time. The absolute OTT 'this is the gay man dialog' that he seems to be having a great time delivering mighta been kinda relieving for him - in a way, it sounds like in his home life his sexuality was never taken beyond a dark secret - in ways it reminded me of a gran torino style thing where they are constantly running at the fringe of race relations while bringing in vonetta mcgee from the blaxploitation side of things and some interesting european actors - i kinda imagine clint the artist knowing it's a clint movie and the tuff guys want to see clint being tough - and somehow he's crowbarred in a great diverse cast and thrown in a few teenage boy jokes to make it ok for the western fans to watch. i made up all of this i don't have a clue what he was thinking

Just when I see some Eastwood chat, The Rookie was the best Eastwood film I've seen recently.

Completely overlooked in his oeuvre. Sheen and Eastwood work the bollocks off the thing. Serious craic from the get go.

I'd also recommend the DePalma derivative Tight-rope.

Two unexpected Eastwood delights. Playful.

Less so, but if you have the time, A Perfect World. Feels more directed by Costner and his values/ concerns. Some ponderous scenes and direction. Masculinity, eh?]

[Rented an Eastwood boxset or two out of Castletymon library.]
The Rookie is a great vibey 80s (90s?) buddy action flick. Love it

The Rookie is a great vibey 80s (90s?) buddy action flick. Love it
Yep, it's panned/dismissed within his ouevre. Yet it's exactly the sort of thing he does well. There are some outrageous and hilarious scenes in it.

Also, that Sonia Braga is a dirty girl. Jesus. She'd make soup of your testicles.

As for City Heat with Clint and Burt Reynolds. Avoid. Torturously bad. Burt can really let you down sometimes.

I have Clint's catalogue (up to whenever it stopped) on DVD. Some are still in shrink wrap.

I'd flog it but no one wants DVDs anymore.

I also went through 3 pairs of the knockoff Balorama sunglasses. I miss those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back