What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Blue Bayou - Holy shit fucking amazing. No-holds barred indictment of the US citizenship justice system.
Proper 10/10 film, fucking class. Of course, you won't hear this from most reviewers, and it won't get fuck all awards, because an awful lot of people just don't want anything to do with this kind of thing. Can't imagine this ever winning an oscar, because that would take a bit of courage from the academy.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Had I known this was a musical I'd never have watched it. Like, every single word is sung and there is music all the way through, non-stop and the words and music didn't always seem to me to belong together. But it was great, I loved it.

Frankie & Johnny was on the tv last night. One of my wive's favs from the 90s. Has NOT aged well. The Pachino character is a 100% creep who would be cancelled a million times. Michelle Pfeiffer is totally adorbz in it.

Saw 'Don't Look Up' in the Lighthouse.
Was okay, nothing amazing. Amusing in places but nothing really hilarious. Actors generally all did a good job, although really if Jonah Hill can't play any other character he should just quit now, he's very grating at this point. Mark Rylance was the best really, playing a combo of Bezos/Jobs/Musk character.
For me the movie in general failed because as with many other 'sci-fi' type films it's all totally just focused on Murca and fairly unable to look outside that at all, 'comedy' or not like I get the point of why it takes this approach but it all gets quite preachy and ram-down-the-throaty

Lovely, feel-good thing. This version I watched seems to have been very well dubbed into Russian, the voices were great.

The events just before, during and after World War Two have little direct effect on the inhabitants of the village in Georgia where Zuriko lives. A schoolboy, Zuriko goes to the schoolhouse with his previously unlettered grandmother, who is receiving an education alongside him. He has some loyal, if slightly addled friends in the person of a myopic hunter named Illarion, and a one-eyed man named Illiko. So nearsighted is Illarion that on one occasion he shot Zuriko's dog because the took it for a rabbit. The loyalty of his friends is proven after the war, when they sell the cow they all own in order to send Zuriko to college in Tblisi. This black and white film is notable for several things: its loving portrayal of the Georgian country people and countryside, and the fact that it was made by (Tenghiz Abuladze, who went on to make the extremely significant, award-winning 1984 film Monanieba, also known as Pokayaniye, or Repentance.

Frankie & Johnny was on the tv last night. One of my wive's favs from the 90s. Has NOT aged well. The Pachino character is a 100% creep who would be cancelled a million times. Michelle Pfeiffer is totally adorbz in it.
I actually have the script for the play version of that sitting on my desk right now. It's good

Stumbled upon There Will Be Blood on TG4 last night. Going to save it for when I have a few mince pies.
got sucked into it last night for 20 minutes but stopped myself from watching more as wouldn't have been able to see it through last night for many reasons. Intention is similar to yourself, save it for the Xmas some day. Such a great movie

Spiderman: No Way Home

Really enjoyed this. Easily the best of the three MCU Spiderman movies. Been a while since I've heard people cheering and clapping in a cinema, which is something I'd normally cringe at, but I kinda get it this time.

Spiderman: No Way Home

Really enjoyed this. Easily the best of the three MCU Spiderman movies. Been a while since I've heard people cheering and clapping in a cinema, which is something I'd normally cringe at, but I kinda get it this time.

This nails it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cool idea but I didn't really enjoy it, it was like being trapped in an Anna Kavan novel.

Grim but excellent documentary

Spiderman Home Home Home - fuckin class really, The Dafoe fucking rules forever. At last a Marvel film that is actually genuinely great and not just a load of shit hype. The thing is though, I imagine they have Into The Spiderverse to thank for being able to do this, I can't see them making a film of this quality if they hadn't already been shown it can work to just keep the ideas fairly straightforward and not insert 500000 fucking shit 'jokes' into the script. But hey the fact that they are able to use quality actors helps too, Dafoe gives an absolute masterclass and Molina is pretty much perfect too.
It also shows that what is hugely lacking in so many Marvel films is a great villain - the new spiderman films seem to have realised this at least. Allow me to point out, for instance, that Thanos is a shit villain.

Anyway it's not as good as Dune.

Soul. Not a fan of the humanising of concepts etc, much like Inside Out, but there's enough other great stuff in here. Didn't stop me from bawling like a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back