What movie did you watch last night? (20 Viewers)

I see that thumped didn't like it but I thought it was great

Scaldy enough pulling an ancient post out of nowhere... never rewatched. Watkins' Edvard Munch film is one of the greatest art experiences I've ever encountered...watched it twice, must rewatch again. Holy god, that is something. I'd be afraid to rewatch Punishment Park though. Reckon my thoughts would roughly hold true.

Watched Hell is a City tonight. Not bad, but the Brits just don't get this crime noir fare re: 40s, 50s. Leave it to Sam Fuller, Richard Widmark and dopey Victor Mature. C'mon.

Before that - Scream 3. Takes the guessing game to new levels of pointlessness in terms of plot, but ticked over nicely.

Watched Tobe Hooper's batshit Life Force there on Saturday. A gazillion dollars was thrown at this huge flop in its day ... Too many ideas but it's certainly entertaining, and the cinematography/visuals is worth a punt alone. Some real art going on here in the lens work. Recommended 100%. Steve Railsback is the little Tommy Lee Jones That Couldn't - unlucky for sure. Hilarious cameo from Patrick Stewart too. Proper actors do stone-faced, pompous sci-fi territory, but it works... sort of.

Eternals. Hmm. Very much an attempt at an MCU movie with SERIOUS THEMES. Doesn’t entirely work to be honest but still entertaining. There’s a ridiculous bit of stunt casting in the mid credits scene that also features some of the worst cgi I’ve seen in quite a while. Barry Keoghan keeps his accent throughout, so that’s cool.

Oh and my two fellow viewers fell asleep for a good chunk of the movie.

The Beta Test. Black comedy thriller about a sleazy film producer who accepts an invite for no strings anonymous sex with disastrous results. I thought this was great. The writer/director/actor Jim Cummings is a serious talent. He excels at hilarious portraying dudes who are on the brink of total meltdown

The ninth configuration. Part of William Blatty's trilogy of film about faith, set in an asylum for damaged troops. Good, if flawed. That biker gang. Really!!!

Solaris, the Tarkovsky one, it's good. I put it on a bit too late and was getting drowsy by then end. The main thing I didn't like about Dune was the incessant dramatic music all the way through with the silly martial drums (that and Duncan and that security chief guy, they seemed like they were in the wrong film). No such problems with Solaris. I was reading this morning that Tarkovsky wanted no music at all but some other guy convinced him to use it very sparingly, good job.

Vampire Circus (1972)
Still on the VHS buzz. Early 70s Hammer film, more gory, a bit of nudity & a guy in it who looks a lot like Brian May. 15 years back a mob kill the local posh vampire who has been preying on their families. He swears revenge. The village deteriorates into a disease ridden no go area where the locals can not leave. And then a weird circus arrives in town. Really good film, a few ropey effects scenes, but hey..... according to Wikipedia the director went a week over budget so hammer shut down production, gave the footage to the editor and said, make a film out of this.

Last edited:
The ninth configuration. Part of William Blatty's trilogy of film about faith, set in an asylum for damaged troops. Good, if flawed. That biker gang. Really!!!
I couldn't get past the stageyness of it and gave up after 20 minutes or so. I might give it another go

Vampire Circus (1972)
Still on the VHS buzz. Early 70s Hammer film, more gory, a bit of nudity & a guy in it who looks a lot like Brian May. 15 years back a mob kill the local posh vampire who has been preying on their families. He swears revenge. The village deteriorates into a disease ridden no go area where the locals can not leave. And then a weird circus arrives in town. Really good film, a few ropey effects scenes, but hey..... according to Wikipedia the director went a week over budget so hammer shut down production, gave the footage to the editor and said, make a film out of this.
I watched this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was disappointed. It seems to be held in high esteem by fans but it didn't do anything for me.

Solaris, the Tarkovsky one, it's good. I put it on a bit too late and was getting drowsy by then end. The main thing I didn't like about Dune was the incessant dramatic music all the way through with the silly martial drums (that and Duncan and that security chief guy, they seemed like they were in the wrong film). No such problems with Solaris. I was reading this morning that Tarkovsky wanted no music at all but some other guy convinced him to use it very sparingly, good job.
The soundtrack was composed on a cool Soviet synthesiser that worked on light signals rather than a keyboard input. The music is etched on black glass and the machine interprets it somehow and creates weird spectral sounds out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back