What movie did you watch last night? (21 Viewers)

I thought it dragged out a bit. The b-movie dialogue was, I hope, done in a tongue in cheek way.

The actors made it better by being good at acting, that's true. And New Orleans looks amazing.

On annual leave with weird weather and nothing to do so I'm all about grueling European cinema this week. Time of the Wolf last night. This week it's The Painted Bird, Hard to be a God and Werckmeister Harmonies. Might throw in Come and See for good measure.

Watched The Painted Bird last night. I had thought the book was unfilmable but they filmed it. It was good. Bit of a slog. Very worthy. Felt more influenced by American cinema than European to me, just in terms of cinematography and casting. Like they got these famous American and English faces in, Harvey Keitel, Barry Pepper, Julian Sands etc, and had them speak phonetic Polish or dubbed their lines. Bit distracting.

Sputnik. This Russian Alien rip off starts off brilliantly but runs out of steam before the end. Still better than 90% of it’s American counterpart.
What's the deal with the hatred people have for Ridley Scott these days? I've noticed the trend really taking off since about 2015 or 16. They've even gone back and decided his old, ostensibly good films like Alien and Blade Runner are in fact baby-brained muck for morons who like to think they're clever but ACTUALLY ARE STUPID. What changed? Was it just that Prometheus tried too hard and destroyed his back catalogue as well?

What's the deal with the hatred people have for Ridley Scott these days? I've noticed the trend really taking off since about 2015 or 16. They've even gone back and decided his old, ostensibly good films like Alien and Blade Runner are in fact baby-brained muck for morons who like to think they're clever but ACTUALLY ARE STUPID. What changed? Was it just that Prometheus tried too hard and destroyed his back catalogue as well?
WHaaaa? who said that? Alien is one of the best films ever made.

WHaaaa? who said that? Alien is one of the best films ever made.
Well I thought you were saying it for one thing. Guess you weren't.

I've just seen a lot of people online rolling their eyes at anyone who said anything good about Ridley Scott, going all the way back to his first stuff. Fucked if I know why, tries too hard to be clever I think. Is a white man.

Well I thought you were saying it for one thing. Guess you weren't.

I've just seen a lot of people online rolling their eyes at anyone who said anything good about Ridley Scott, going all the way back to his first stuff. Fucked if I know why, tries too hard to be clever I think. Is a white man.
Oh no. I was saying that Alien is a landmark sci fi film and there was a lot of muck that came off the back of it, some good stuff too, but Sputnik is one of the better ones.

Yeah I must have missed this also. He's pretty inconsistent but Alien and Blade Runner are untouchable. I even liked Prometheus :oops:

Alien movies ranked:
Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Covenant
Prometheus
Alien Resurrection
Alien Vs Predator
Alien Vs Predator 2: Requiem

Prometheus is borderline crap: looks amazing, has a couple of great performances in it (Rapace and Fassbender), but plotholes, absolutely shiiiite supporting characters, and shoots for the stars and ends up on Reddit in terms of the BIG QUESTIONS sci-fi that Scott was going for. Covenant is at least just an action movie - essentially Resurrection with better writing and acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back