What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Last night I watched The Cassandra Crossing. Think somebody posted about it here a while back.
Totally ridiculous film about a train going across Europe that gets infected by a virus escaped from a germ warfare lab and is then rerouted to a former concentration camp but in order to get there has to cross this dangerous rail bridge that hasn't been used since the 40s.
Richard Harris is the star of the show really, as the doctor on the train who has to try and hold shit together. Sophia Loren is the WHO type official in Geneva trying to give him advice, Burt Lancaster is the US general sabotaging her so that they can cover up the US germ lab. Martin Sheen plays a comedy arms dealer who is on the train for some bizarre reason. There's also a real-life murderer in the cast, oh wait I mean "not a murderer honest", OJ is an agent on the tail of Sheen's arm dealer who is disguised as a priest. Yes, OJ plays a priest, hahaha.

As you will have gathered from the previous paragraph, this film is totally ludicrous, but it is also a fairly good laugh, it's entertaining shite like. They also have an Ernest Borgnine look-a-like as the conductor, I guess they already splashed the cash on the other stars so had to get Senór Borgnino instead.

In conclusion, the Chinese created the virus in a lab in Wuhan and unleashed it on that train for reasons because some conspiracy dude I watched on youtube once said so.

Last few days.
never let me go. remember liking the book years ago. this was alright, at best.
La Ceremonie, deadly mid 90s French thriller with Isabelle hubbert.
Rewatched Cache last night. French thriller from mid 00s. Love that movie.

on a bit of a french kick the last week or two

Amour last night

Christ. Pretty depressing stuff. Not what I had signed up for on a Monday night I'd decided to treat myself to 2 cans

What was bad about this?
It was clunky. Not quite buddy movie, not quite comedy, not quite action. A bit of a muddle of all 3. In that context the political element of it felt tagged on. I suppose Spike Lee is a bit like that, you always get a bit of a melting pot of ideas. I just didn't think this one worked particularly well, some enjoyable moments aside. It's trying to be Kelly's Heroes with a bit more of a message but it doesn't pull it off.

It was clunky. Not quite buddy movie, not quite comedy, not quite action. A bit of a muddle of all 3. In that context the political element of it felt tagged on. I suppose Spike Lee is a bit like that, you always get a bit of a melting pot of ideas. I just didn't think this one worked particularly well, some enjoyable moments aside. It's trying to be Kelly's Heroes with a bit more of a message but it doesn't pull it off.
Yeah, I guess that's Spike Lee's style, isn't it, and when he pulls it off like in Do The Right Thing it's sublime but more often than not his films feel chucked together. Some of the editing on Black Klansman was shocking - wasn't sure if it was intentional or laziness.

I liked Black Klansman but I agree it was definitely clunky and shit. The first half hour or so seemed really good but the rest didn't live up to the promise. Still good overall though, but I think films in general seem a lot more disappointing when they start off well but then never get past that.

Last night I watched The Cassandra Crossing. Think somebody posted about it here a while back.
Totally ridiculous film about a train going across Europe that gets infected by a virus escaped from a germ warfare lab and is then rerouted to a former concentration camp but in order to get there has to cross this dangerous rail bridge that hasn't been used since the 40s.
Richard Harris is the star of the show really, as the doctor on the train who has to try and hold shit together. Sophia Loren is the WHO type official in Geneva trying to give him advice, Burt Lancaster is the US general sabotaging her so that they can cover up the US germ lab. Martin Sheen plays a comedy arms dealer who is on the train for some bizarre reason. There's also a real-life murderer in the cast, oh wait I mean "not a murderer honest", OJ is an agent on the tail of Sheen's arm dealer who is disguised as a priest. Yes, OJ plays a priest, hahaha.

As you will have gathered from the previous paragraph, this film is totally ludicrous, but it is also a fairly good laugh, it's entertaining shite like. They also have an Ernest Borgnine look-a-like as the conductor, I guess they already splashed the cash on the other stars so had to get Senór Borgnino instead.

In conclusion, the Chinese created the virus in a lab in Wuhan and unleashed it on that train for reasons because some conspiracy dude I watched on youtube once said so.

This sounds deadly. It's on the list.

Watched Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods. A mess of movie

Also watched this yesterday. The effusive reviews had my hopes up. I enjoyed it because I really wanted to, but it is a mess. The score is from a different movie. The CGI blood and muzzle flashes were not great. The story itself was not very clear.

Delroy Lindo did well. The whole movie hangs on his character really.

I'm not saying avoid it, but, it's not as great as everyone has been saying.

Also watched this yesterday. The effusive reviews had my hopes up. I enjoyed it because I really wanted to, but it is a mess. The score is from a different movie. The CGI blood and muzzle flashes were not great. The story itself was not very clear.

Delroy Lindo did well. The whole movie hangs on his character really.

I'm not saying avoid it, but, it's not as great as everyone has been saying.
I hate CGI muzzle flash and blood spray. Can ruin a movie for me. Bring back squibs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back