What movie did you watch last night? (9 Viewers)

two Brian De Palma movies in the last few days

Dressed To Kill from 1980 which I really liked. Nice Hitchcock buzz set in New York

Body Double from mid 70s I think. Absolute shite

Anyone seen Sisters (1972)? It's on Mubi at the moment ... wondering whether to give it a shot.

Watched Doctor Sleep today.
It's a good film that would be very good as a stand-alone effort. Unfortunately the fact that it's the sequel to The Shining actually lets it down a bit. Basically, there's a lot of cool stuff in there that would work on its own, but the stuff that follows on from The Shining isn't so great because hey guess what unless you can make a film as good as Kubrick could make a film, don't try and follow up on his work because it just won't be on the same level.
Like, it's a fair enough effort and all, but whilst the story is okay, the film making is just never going to achieve what Kubrick could do.
I agree with some of this but I really didn't like it. It felt like something from the Marvel Universe; Team of super baddies versus plucky young hero guided by damaged old timer. The 'Rose the Hat" character looked like something from a radio friendly "alternative" American rock band from the 90s. The Shining bits felt tacked on and unnecessary . Like you say, it could have worked as a completely separate entity to The Shining. The tone, and well everything else was a world away from it. Maybe it's closer to the book than Kubrick's film was to the Shining. It won't be going on my reading list either way.

I also watched the magnificent 'The Taking of Pelham One Two Three' so it wasn't a wasted evening.

Emma.

Went in with fairly low expectations but i thought it was pretty good. I mean it's no Pride And Prejudice And Zombies, what with them leaving out the whole zombie angle that I'm sure was the whole point of Jane Austen's original, but still. Not sure what the relevance of the full stop is.

I agree with some of this but I really didn't like it. It felt like something from the Marvel Universe; Team of super baddies versus plucky young hero guided by damaged old timer. The 'Rose the Hat" character looked like something from a radio friendly "alternative" American rock band from the 90s. The Shining bits felt tacked on and unnecessary . Like you say, it could have worked as a completely separate entity to The Shining. The tone, and well everything else was a world away from it. Maybe it's closer to the book than Kubrick's film was to the Shining. It won't be going on my reading list either way.

I also watched the magnificent 'The Taking of Pelham One Two Three' so it wasn't a wasted evening.

ACHOO!

But in a 'laying the ground for those' earlier note I caught North By Northwest again on TV, and of course it's great in a hilarious way. I fuckin love how the entire massive big conspiracy starts by two dopey henchman hearing a name called in a restaurant lobby and assuming that the guy that calls a bellboy over must be that guy, it's classic.

Also before this they showed Earthquake which is also fuckin hilarious in a very different way of course, in fact best bit by a mile is:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

rented a doc about NYC's Other Music last night.

Would imagine anyone on here would enjoy it. Visited the place a couple of times over the years, did seem like a great shop.

While You Were Sleeping - 90s Sandra Bullock rom-com on Disney+. Not offensive.

Smokey and the Bandit - ages since I watched this in full. It was only after it ended and I looked it up on Wikipedia that I realised I had watched a rubbish tv edit which cut lots of classic Buford T. Justice lines.

To All The Boys 2 - Netflix teen movie sequel. Not as good as the first one but not bad enough that I'll skip the third film in the series.

I have my Mubi subscription all ready to go but the need for comforting / non-challenging films is strong!

Killing Them Softly (2012)
Based on a George Higgins novel, so it's set in Boston, but they clearly filmed it in New Orleans
Which maybe is good, that it doesn't get lumped in with all the obviously Boston movies

Hell of film about the lives these men lead. Similar to Eddie Coyle, how there's this supposed code, but it's all just savage treachery from the top down.

Scoot McNairy is really good, accent better than decent - pronounces place names wrong though (which only matters if you know them, but still)
Brad Pitt does that thing where he's like this angelic figure, sees everything, above it all - like he does in 12 Years.... and other stuff
Richard Jenkins is typically understated, and you can't take your eyes off him
James Gandolfini's character is almost a brother from the one he played in True Romance; all bile under a skimcoat of charm
Ben Mendehlson is absolutely stellar - I think they made his character Australian for the movie, smart

Saw that in the cinema at the time. I actually hated it. All that talent for a total snoozefest. Speaking of True Romance though I watched that last night on a whim. Enjoyable.

Paid to watch this. Man I miss this shop and their newsletter. They had a second shop for a few years in Cambridge and I would go there everyday during my lunch hour. Any trip to NYC included a stop here. So many good memories and bands I discovered through this place.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back