What is a "normal" price for a monthly broadband bill? (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I use it for work and streaming TV and my bill is @60 a month

Is that a lot?

We pay a little over 60/month for broadband and VOIP phone. One of these rural broadband packages. No tv
that's what I have. I don't pay for a TV package but I do stream stuff. I'm with Rural WiFi. It works really well, but just wondering if I'm paying too much

Seems not

I'm getting 1000/100 eir FTTH + phone + TV for €65 a month

have to say that so far at least i'd have been getting faster downloads on the old virgin gigabit. the eir usually is 850-900mb+ whereas VM was consistently 950mb down. On balance it's worth it to get the 2xfaster upload speed, and it's also considerably cheaper - when i rang virgin they offered to knock 50 quid a month off our bill for 9 months but that was still more expensive than the eir deal. Also got a nice 4k apple tv box from eir as part of the package, although that's their equipment not ours.

Last edited:

have to say that so far at least i'd have been getting faster downloads on the old virgin gigabit. the eir usually is 850-900mb+ whereas VM was consistently 950mb down. On balance it's worth it to get the 2xfaster upload speed, and it's also considerably cheaper - when i rang virgin they offered to knock 50 quid a month off our bill for 9 months but that was still more expensive than the eir deal. Also got a nice 4k apple tv box from eir as part of the package, although that's their equipment not ours.

This seems like a decent price for tv pack included.

Eir guy called here yesterday trying to get me to switch from Virgin Media (400/40) to Eir (500/30% of 500 - he claimed) for 39.99 a month for 2 years, rising to 75 a month after that. This was broadband only. There were add-ons for TV and mobile but I've no interest.

I told him I wouldn't switch to Eir because of their bad customer service reputation. He claimed they've cleaned up their act and that I should check trustpilot if I didn't believe him. I didn't believe him so I checked trustpilot. Negative review after negative review.

Its a shame cos I was definitely interested in what he was offering.

Though not sure VM are much better when it comes to customer service. I wouldn't mind getting fully away from them.

Edit: What has your experience of Eir been like?

Eir guy called here yesterday trying to get me to switch from Virgin Media (400/40) to Eir (500/30% of 500 - he claimed) for 39.99 a month for 2 years, rising to 75 a month after that. This was broadband only. There were add-ons for TV and mobile but I've no interest.

I told him I wouldn't switch to Eir because of their bad customer service reputation. He claimed they've cleaned up their act and that I should check trustpilot if I didn't believe him. I didn't believe him so I checked trustpilot. Negative review after negative review.

Though not sure VM are much better when it comes to customer service. I wouldn't mind getting fully away from them.

i had problems (of my own making) getting the phone service working and with accessing the online billing/support portal. i rang eir customer service at 9am on a saturday morning and got through almost immediately. The guy fixed the portal access (a known problem on their end) and then we stepped through troubleshooting the phone problem. got to a point where i had to rejig some hardware here so he says "i'll call you back in an hour and we'll finish off then" and guess what? he did, and we did.

other companies are resellers of eir, so usually if eir are offering a certain speed, vodafone will also offer this, for example.
Eir's deal was, if you sign up for 2 years there is no installation or connection fee. Sign up for one year you get a discounted monthly rate but you have to pay installation/connection.

You can also try it out for 2 weeks, no commitment, which I think I'll do after some travel I have planned next month.

Eir's deal was, if you sign up for 2 years there is no installation or connection fee. Sign up for one year you get a discounted monthly rate but you have to pay installation/connection.

You can also try it out for 2 weeks, no commitment, which I think I'll do after some travel I have planned next month.
yeah i went for the 2 year contract. A Man from KN turned up (on time) and did the fibre run through the duct, drilled a hole in my house with the longest drill bit in the world, and installed the ONT and router, all in about an hour and a half.

i then put the router into bridge mode (so i could use my mesh wifi network) and broke the phone service. BUT it turns out if you put a cheap switch in between the ONT and the eir router you can connect two routers and each will be assigned an eir IP, so i have the original eir router for the phone service, and my AX1800 for everything else and OneMesh wifi.

Only problem was having to set up the PPoE stuff manually and also configure it to use VLAN10 or else it can't connect.

yeah i went for the 2 year contract. A Man from KN turned up (on time) and did the fibre run through the duct, drilled a hole in my house with the longest drill bit in the world, and installed the ONT and router, all in about an hour and a half.

i then put the router into bridge mode (so i could use my mesh wifi network) and broke the phone service. BUT it turns out if you put a cheap switch in between the ONT and the eir router you can connect two routers and each will be assigned an eir IP, so i have the original eir router for the phone service, and my AX1800 for everything else and OneMesh wifi.

Only problem was having to set up the PPoE stuff manually and also configure it to use VLAN10 or else it can't connect.
are the speeds as advertised?

Eir are a nightmare, judging by everyone i know who has had the misfortune of dealing with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back