What gig(s) are you going to this week? (1 Viewer)

Low due here in a couple of weeks. They’ve been pleading with fans to wear masks, but they and the support band both tested positive today. Should be clear by time of Dublin shows. But…

Saw sparks requesting fans wear masks to their vicar st show this weekend, haven’t seen anyone else do similar?
Just got an email about the Jeff Rosenstock gig later pleading with people attending to wear masks, especially if you the front or going to the mercy stand. As they’ve said themselves, they don’t want to cancel gigs

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Christopher Nolan GIF by Regal

was Lloyd Cole supposed to be playing here this week? He tweeted yesterday that he's isolating in Brooks Hotel because of the 'rona.

Anyway, I'm heading to see Nick Mason in the convention centre tomorrow night. The original show was April 2020.

Really does seem to be a big rise of bands in despair at the cavalier attitude towards covid now.

Really does seem to be a big rise of bands in despair at the cavalier attitude towards covid now.

Numbers have been creeping down here which is a good sign, about 4-5000 between PCR and self reported RATs* yesterday compared to it being in the 20's a few weeks ago.

They're probably at a level where I'd feel OK about going to Low. I'd said previously that if I didn't feel comfortable going to a gig unmasked I just wouldn't go. I'd wear a mask for the band's peace of mind though as they're requesting people to do so.

*No way is everyone who tests positive registering their case.

Was at the Jeff Rosenstock gig last night. The promoters sent an email to everyone that bought tickets asking that people wear masks. A good few signs up around the venue as well. Also they were handing out masks to people that didn’t have them on the way in. So the majority of the audience was masked. Which was good because it was really crowded.
It was the first post pandemic gig I’d gone to where I was actually properly dancing and stuff, have to say it got pretty uncomfortable what with the heat and crowding in the place, and wearing a mask on top of it all. But sure I want to go to a hot sweaty punk gig in an airless venue during a pandemic, then this is the price you’re going to pay.

I was in work today and all the local crew were wearing masks because we were asked too, but none of the touring crew were wearing them. Strange, like if they really cared surely they'd wear them too?

i was at grouper last night. i didn't know her music beforehand despite having read about her plenty in the wire over the years. i wasn't blown away by it. it was very relaxing and i found her vocal work interesting. a very mellow blend of spooky and melancholy. i saw windy and carl do this better 20 years ago though

I think she’s grand but I don’t need more than one album. Saw her in the Unitarian church years ago and unfortunately my dominant memory is how uncomfortable church pews are when you’re in them for a couple of hours.

I think I was at the Grouper gig in the Unitarian too, I've seen her a few times and that was the last. I don't really get her, or didn't then anyway. I'm amazed she's playing the concert hall, does she still make the kind of lo-fi noisey drone stuff that you could hear chancers doing any night of the week circa 2005?

yeah, carl is/was the brains of that act imo. he got that shimmering ambient drone guitar thing perfect. they worked great as a duo though - not to take away from windy too much. it was actually ~25 years ago i saw them - now i feel even older. this gig

the show last night was certainly what you would call lo-fi. her set up was a guitar, a tape deck and i'm guessing some pedals, all running through a little mixer - looked like a portable affair that she'd plug into any kind of sound system. to be fair to her i think she does a better job at that style of thing than most. the sound in the nch is always a bonus too. it wasn't bad, just nothing earth shattering

yeah, carl is/was the brains of that act imo. he got that shimmering ambient drone guitar thing perfect. they worked great as a duo though - not to take away from windy too much. it was actually ~25 years ago i saw them - now i feel even older. this gig

the show last night was certainly what you would call lo-fi. her set up was a guitar, a tape deck and i'm guessing some pedals, all running through a little mixer - looked like a portable affair that she'd plug into any kind of sound system. to be fair to her i think she does a better job at that style of thing than most. the sound in the nch is always a bonus too. it wasn't bad, just nothing earth shattering

Yea, she is a cut above the usual fare but it's notexactly ground breaking. I was at the gig too, the music was good but as a live show it was fairly uninteresting. The sound was quite poor for her set I thought- it almost felt like it was coming from her monitors only- the support act had the full sound system

I was there too. I enjoyed it, but like others said, not mind blowing. I was in the balcony and sound level was low, but that's been the way every other time I've seen her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back