What gig did you go to last night? (7 Viewers)

Same here. I barley remember it. Elvis Costello supported and Van Morrison made an appearance. Someone fell off the stage too I think.
He played Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in 2001 with Costello and the Blind Boys of Alabama supporting. Ron Wood guested but it sounded like they didn’t plug in his guitar. Checking Setlist.fm it looks like you actually saw him in 1995 (when @ernesto and I were 12!):

He played the point in 2000 and 2003 (I saw this one).

What is the story with Dylan audiences though? Instead of a performer trying to win over a crowd it's a crowd trying to win over the performer. "WE LOVE YOU BOBBY!"
My favourite thing is when they sing along not with the way he sings the songs live but how they hear the songs in their heads from the album. Out of time, out of key* - it’s like they’ve got headphones in and don’t realise he’s on stage.

*I know the idea of being in key is being generous to Dylan.

He played Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in 2001 with Costello and the Blind Boys of Alabama supporting. Ron Wood guested but it sounded like they didn’t plug in his guitar. Checking Setlist.fm it looks like you actually saw him in 1995 (when @ernesto and I were 12!):

He played the point in 2000 and 2003 (I saw this one).

My favourite thing is when they sing along not with the way he sings the songs live but how they hear the songs in their heads from the album. Out of time, out of key* - it’s like they’ve got headphones in and don’t realise he’s on stage.

*I know the idea of being in key is being generous to Dylan.

i saw him in 2000. i had just turned 18

oh dear god :(

Pavement.

Was just OK.

If it wasn't for the fact that I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in ages, albeit briefly, I'd have preferred to have been at home. Was checking my watch at 9:40.
I didn’t go. Never got tickets. Didn’t bother at the time. But weirdly enough it was the first time since the pandemic I kind of regretted not going to a gig. I’ve had bit of a “I could take ‘em or leave ‘em “ sort of attitude about gigs since they started back up. Whereas they were such a big part of my life before.

The setlist looks amazing, but I can easily imagine it being a drag. A bunch of reverential old dudes in the crowd pretending they can't believe that this is happening.

At the Malkmus gig in 2018 when he played In the Mouth A Desert and Shady Lane as an encore it was really good.

The setlist looks amazing, but I can easily imagine it being a drag. A bunch of reverential old dudes in the crowd pretending they can't believe that this is happening.

At the Malkmus gig in 2018 when he played In the Mouth A Desert and Shady Lane as an encore it was really good.
Ah, it was amazing. Really brilliant deep cuts, crowd belting out the hits and the band were having an amazing time. Would go again tonight, if my knees could take it ;)

Looks like you were the only person who didn't enjoy Pavement, ian 8)
Never seen so many ecstatic faces after a show!

It does seem that way. I said to one of the people I'd watched it with on the way out that I hadn't been mad about it and another just said "don't want to be here for THIS conversation" and walked away.

People did look really happy after it.

Yeah, looking at the setlist is making me really regret not going.

I’m just going to avoid social media for the next few days

Yeah, looking at the setlist is making me really regret not going.

I’m just going to avoid social media for the next few days

I have a friend who has a couple of spares for tonight, if you wanted to get in touch. I can DM you their twitter handle. Or at least she had them going last night.

I have a friend who has a couple of spares for tonight, if you wanted to get in touch. I can DM you their twitter handle. Or at least she had them going last night.
Ah, Thanks for letting me know but I’ll leave it. We’ve been hit with a couple of big bills over the last week so I’ll just leave it for now

I've never heard pavement.

I don't think Id like them
It’s hard to know. They do have some amazing tunes and Steve Malkmus is a brilliant guitar player in so many ways. I’d give Brighten the Corners a listen, you’ll know by the end of that whether they’re for you or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back