What gig did you go to last night? (9 Viewers)

Supergrass.

It was an odd one. If there was anyone under 30 there they were staff, which is fair enough considering this is more reformation than second wind. At times it was really great, their good tunes are really good, and at times it was a bit of a dirge. I suspect that things are not all that rosy in camp supergrass at the moment. Kinda frustrating because they kinda looked like they have great shows in them? I'm not a megafan or anything. I'm not sure if they were A: a bit pissed off or B: a bit overwhelmed by themselves.

Last big show i was at - one year ago today.

Last two Sundays I watched Malojian play his first two albums on Stage Left Live Video Streaming | Stage Left Live Event Streaming

First one was out of synch by a couple of seconds, but last night's worked great. And he played it more like a gig and didn't talk about each song. Sound was really good.

Felt more relatable with him playing in his house chatting to the lads on sound than a few gigs that I've seen of bands playing in empty venues.

I'm £18 down though so don't know if i'll afford the next two.

Felt more relatable with him playing in his house chatting to the lads on sound than a few gigs that I've seen of bands playing in empty venues.
I could imagine that alright. Any time I see any of the current 'band playing somewhere in front of nobody and 'talking to the camera' about their songs' kind of shit it's usually just cringey as fuck.

Todd Rundgren is doing gigs with an audience of screens showing the webcams of his audience. Kinda cool. The band is pretty slick but he can't hold a note himself anymore by the sound of it.

960x0.jpg
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the charlatans. 10 bob for access to a live stream of a gig they played in Manchester. Not sure if it was completely live - I don't think it was.

But it was good and I think I could buy into this idea. Even when gigs can be physically attended I wonder would promoters consider (for more popular gigs at least), selling access to livestreams of gigs that are likely to sell out. For a nominal fee of a tenner or thereabouts. People who want to go to gigs will go anyway, so they might make a hatful on tenners from those who can't go, or who are a bit halfarsed, like me.

the charlatans. 10 bob for access to a live stream of a gig they played in Manchester. Not sure if it was completely live - I don't think it was.

But it was good and I think I could buy into this idea. Even when gigs can be physically attended I wonder would promoters consider (for more popular gigs at least), selling access to livestreams of gigs that are likely to sell out. For a nominal fee of a tenner or thereabouts. People who want to go to gigs will go anyway, so they might make a hatful on tenners from those who can't go, or who are a bit halfarsed, like me.

this was already being done a few years ago from the button factory for a few gigs IIRC.
Though one of them was via Dublin community television which no longer exists I think

they might make a hatful on tenners from those who can't go, or who are a bit halfarsed, like me.
I'd totally do that - I normally only go to gigs I want to go to enough that I'd be willing to pay for a night in the city to see them. If I could watch a livestream and not have to drive home after it'd suit me down to the ground

I'd totally do that - I normally only go to gigs I want to go to enough that I'd be willing to pay for a night in the city to see them. If I could watch a livestream and not have to drive home after it'd suit me down to the ground
Its deadly. Just sitting on your couch, watching it on the TV. No pricks talking or spilling pints. I'd have been cynical about it before, but I'm all for it now.

Sleaford Mods, Baxter Dury and the Fat White Family at a 5,000 capacity outdoor gig in a London park on Saturday night. I gave Sleafod Mods about two minutes before I decided I'd had enough and wanted an early night. Baxter Dury and Fat White Family were really good. It was nice to see lots of kids down the front slamming into each other and throwing beer in the air during the latter as well as a crowd surfing singer.

Covid security - plenty of room to stay away from people if you wanted to even when queuing for the bar and food. The vaccination check at the gate was pointless. Could've showed any old QR code - not scanned or anything.

I might chance an indoor gig in a few weeks.

Bad Guys at the Raw Power festival (indoors). A band I had never heard of reforming for one night only and they were great. Two lads playing double guitars, big riffs and lots of crowdsurfing and good natured dancing up the front.

Covid security - had to show proof of a negative test within the last 48 hours to get it (the promoter's rule rather than venue) and the makeup of the crowd means prob 90%+ were vaccinated. Hardly anyone wearing masks despite it being busy and lots of enclosed spaces - maybe 5% or less I'd say.

Bad Guys at the Raw Power festival (indoors). A band I had never heard of reforming for one night only and they were great. Two lads playing double guitars, big riffs and lots of crowdsurfing and good natured dancing up the front.

Covid security - had to show proof of a negative test within the last 48 hours to get it (the promoter's rule rather than venue) and the makeup of the crowd means prob 90%+ were vaccinated. Hardly anyone wearing masks despite it being busy and lots of enclosed spaces - maybe 5% or less I'd say.

Didn't know you were there and sure I'd hardly know what you look like but I was also there Friday and rest of the weekend. We played on the Sunday. Fantastic weekend all round.

Didn't know you were there and sure I'd hardly know what you look like but I was also there Friday and rest of the weekend. We played on the Sunday. Fantastic weekend all round.

Ha! Likewise! Only saw after there was an Irish band playing. I decided to just chance the short day and have not caught Covid yet according to the few tests I've done at home...

Ha! Likewise! Only saw after there was an Irish band playing. I decided to just chance the short day and have not caught Covid yet according to the few tests I've done at home...

I did spend a lot of time in the courtyard too, tests all clear here too. We picked up a bunch of the NHS Lateral flow tests. Also as an aside duty free on the ferry is class. Thanks Brexit.

Andy Irvine at the Irish Centre in London. I hadn't seen him up close playing solo for a good while and thought maybe at 79 this is the time when he starts to noticeably slow down or just not play as well as he used to. No chance. If you've seen him play at any point in the last twenty years then you know what to expect - Plains of Kildare, O'Donoghue's, My Heart's Tonight in Ireland, Never Tire of the Road and The Blacksmith. All great!

Covid security - no checks and 180 mostly old people crammed into a small room with no distancing. I think I saw about two masks on all night.

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • shitepipe
  • Anthony
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back