What gig did you go to last night? (3 Viewers)

Late roundup of last week in gigs.

Esker Festival Orchestra (galway) - I'm not sure if they do this often but they were playing as an 8 piece in a small venue. I really liked it for a few reasons. The first was seeing orchestra people be really informal like band practice style. I thought it really magnified the musicianship. One of the Cellists was stand out good. The lush sound of brahms and stuff in my local bar was great.

Trad Session: Kilrush Co. Clare. Strange ensemble (harp, two squeezeboxes, one fiddle). Was really taken by the harpist and found out later he was a champion harper. Very nice informal session and the ensemble were doing as much chatting with anyone hanging around as they were playing which warmed it up a lot.

Seoda Shows Summer fest/day show. Didn't catch everything as i needed about two pints to settle in after a few days cycling.

Powpig. Powpig are so much fun and are essentially a bunch of teenagers completely taking the piss out of us while writing good tunes all the time. A lot of fun, probably added that it was a hometown one for them. I hope their leaving certs went good.

The Claque - The claque were really what i hoped they would be. They cheated though by covering 'wild is the wind' which removed any chance of me being objective. Its a little transcendental kind of thing they do and was really glad to catch them after failing in galway a few weeks before.

Candice Gordon - Full big size band for this show, sound was a little confused for a the first few tracks but when it clicked it was great.

The altered hours. - Saw them two years ago and wasn't getting it at all, really liked it this time though and considering they were on the long headliner slot they paced the show really well. Would have listened to another few tunes.

Murder Capital in Workman's. Would be grand if you've never heard Joy Division or Whipping Boy. Singer is very pretty and they have all learned to do the smouldering staring thing to a tee. Middle Ages earlier who were predictably excellent.

What Whipping Boy song do they sound like?

I dunno. More the general vibe than a specific song. The singer is going for that slightly menacing and unhinged demeanor but now and then he gives a little smile when he catches the eye of one of his mates in the crowd and it sort of ruins it.

hmm. I suppose i'm just glad Ireland has moved on from it's post and math-rock instrumental and folky singer phases.

hmm. I suppose i'm just glad Ireland has moved on from it's post and math-rock instrumental and folky singer phases.
In theory I am too but there were some very good post/math-rock instrumental bands and folky singers knocking about then. Rednecks, Connect4, Ten Past Seven, Jimmy Cake, Daemian Frost sharing the stage with the likes of Goodtime, Paul O'Reilly etc.

Yeah but I'm not sure it's moving on, felt more like moving backwards. I could have been at a show in the mid-80s.

Are they a BIMM band as well?

In theory I am too but there were some very good post/math-rock instrumental bands and folky singers knocking about then. Rednecks, Connect4, Ten Past Seven, Jimmy Cake, Daemian Frost sharing the stage with the likes of Goodtime, Paul O'Reilly etc.
I hated every last one of them without exception and with a completely unfair passion, you couldn't pay me to listen to them. I was just the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The folky stuff was really just Damien Rice /Glen Hansard/Mundy and their imitators driving me demented in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back