What gig did you go to last night? (32 Viewers)

@Lili Marlene /any other thumpeders there
How was all together now over the weekend? Reports of a lot of traffic hassle on Friday. A lot of the moaning on Twitter etc. seemed to be about petit stuff like queues for showers etc. What's the official thumped line? Site able to accommodate the extra 7 or 8000 this year?

@Lili Marlene /any other thumpeders there
How was all together now over the weekend? Reports of a lot of traffic hassle on Friday. A lot of the moaning on Twitter etc. seemed to be about petit stuff like queues for showers etc. What's the official thumped line? Site able to accommodate the extra 7 or 8000 this year?

i think its a complete scam advertising it as a small boutique festival and then without any press release / update to their website and not give any notice of a dramatic increase.

increase of 25% from 15,000 - 20,000 is very noticeable and complete bullshit.
no longer a small festival

EDIT: im glad i was on call for work over the weekend and had to sell my ticket. would have felt shafted otherwise

i think its a complete scam advertising it as a small boutique festival and then without any press release / update to their website and not give any notice of a dramatic increase.

increase of 25% from 15,000 - 20,000 is very noticeable and complete bullshit.
no longer a small festival

EDIT: im glad i was on call for work over the weekend and had to sell my ticket. would have felt shafted otherwise
Was it not well known pretty much immediately after last year's one that they were gonna up the numbers? Think it went up to 22500 according to a report I read yesterday.
However calling themselves a small festival with anything close to that number is ridiculous.

Was it not well known pretty much immediately after last year's one that they were gonna up the numbers? Think it went up to 22500 according to a report I read yesterday.
However calling themselves a small festival with anything close to that number is ridiculous.

Having not gone to last years festival and also scoured the festival’s website, I did not find any information regarding the increase of the capacity

Since we're here in Edinburgh and it's festival time, we've seen:
Russell Howard. Very funny, better than his show would have you believe.
Jerry Sadowitz. Controversial. Some parts were funny most was a hate filled rant. Lot of walkouts. Card tricks to finish out.
Foil arms & hog. Is this ment to be funny?
Spank. Five comics each do twenty minutes from their set. Line up changes every night. Plus naked promo, where someone can promote whatever they want. Bollock naked.

Ah what, some of their youtube videos are pretty funny you miserable fucks.

ATN review coming up so put me on block or whatever.

border control is one of my faves. I've made about ten people watch it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think they are great. Had to interview them before they were selling out theatres years back and they were lovely altogether. I'll hear none of this negativity.

Also net people.

the Dwarves in the Grand Social. they fairly rattled through their set. after seeing Flipper, Descendents and CJ Ramone in the last week or so, last night was probably the worst of them

Went to (and played) MIDI fest at Mud Island last night. Gorgeous setting, great people, great line up. Included Gash DJs, Carriages, Lets Set Sail, Anna Mularky and Office Coffee. Oh and Pat Hyland - legend.

Fine, fine, here my non-full, abridged review of All Together Now, part 1

Friday

Traffic:
Longest set by far. Utter chaos. Four hours to drive the last maybe 6k. At one point there was a five-way intersection with drunk lads directing their mates through it and not a guard in sight. Surprised there were no casualties. A pleasant man offered me a bump of cocaine.

Eventually we got there and it was reasonably well organized on the site itself.

On with the music:

Fontaines DC: ARE THEY TOO REAL FOR YAH? Huge cheering crowd for them on the main stage, albeit one where everyone is over 25. A lead singer who looks like Ian Curtis and acts like Liam Gallagher, a guitarist who looks like hes just graduated from being in the Strypes and three or four other anonymous bearded music lads you'd see on an average night out in the Workmans. I like them, I think they see the romance in Dublin that no one who actually has to deal with growing up in Dublin can see. This was either the start of something very big or the absolute pinnacle of their career where we look back and remember those lads who were briefly hyped before their shit second album - it feels like the future is in their hands and it's up to them now not to fuck it up.

Nenah Cherry:
The coolest person in 1989 is still the coolest person in 2019, she gives a shout out to her grandson at one point. Big crowd singalongs to Woman and 7 Seconds, says “fuck Brexit” to cheers. Put a younger version of her fronting Fontaines and all the naysayers would love them. In all honesty it’s all very worthy, good music so it threatened to be a bit boring at times, Buffalo Stance still sounded great though.

At which point I wandered around and ended up at someone called:

Papa Rua: Very wholesome little group, do a nice Beatles cover. Good chill festival vibez man ✌ ☮ .

After more wandering I ended up at:

Paddy Hanna: A very small crowd of maybe 50 people there for him, although they at least were cheering him on hard. I'm not a huge fan of his stuff but it sounded great on the night, “12 years of hard work and you made it seem worthwhile” he says at the end. Bittersweet. Honestly it was a bit sad, it was like a valiant last stand for the past decade of independent Irish music that no one has been listening to, no matter how good it was, while the Fontaines breeze to the main stage and the New York Times with their slightly above average Libertines shtick.

At some point after this I ended up in my tent.

will write more later

Last edited:
Nenah Cherry: The coolest person in 1989 is still the coolest person in 2019, she gives a shout out to her grandson at one point. Big crowd singalongs to Woman and 7 Seconds, says “fuck Brexit” to cheers. Put a younger version of her fronting Fontaines and all the naysayers would love them. In all honesty it’s all very worthy, good music so it threatened to be a bit boring at times, Buffalo Stance still sounded great though.
Did she do anything from The Cherry Thing free jazz album? That is one of the best albums of the 21st century, completely blew me away. Free jazz but total tunes at the same time.

Did she do anything from The Cherry Thing free jazz album? That is one of the best albums of the 21st century, completely blew me away. Free jazz but total tunes at the same time.
Not to my knowledge, although I probably wouldn't know if she did. You would recommend so? I'll go listen, crazy shit but with tunes is fairly my kind of thing.

the Dwarves in the Grand Social. they fairly rattled through their set. after seeing Flipper, Descendents and CJ Ramone in the last week or so, last night was probably the worst of them
Descendents played Dublin? Ahh nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back