What gig did you go to last night? (1 Viewer)

Arnocorps/The objectorZ in the Grand Social.

Well I had to,I was playing. (Gigs you played last night thread?)

First time playing there. Surprised by a painless load in,I imagined a nightmare with traffic at the time but it was no issue at all.

Still getting used to playing as a 3 piece but enjoyed it.

Arnocorps,were more entertaining than I expected. Lots of funny banter introducing songs,and the crowd showed up in uniform. Honestly wouldn't have cared about them and wouldn't have went along otherwise. But definitely glad I saw them.

Tinariwen lastnight, with support from a congolese band i cant find the name of but they were in the style of ET Mensah and lots of fun.

Tinariwen took a while to basically hypnotise everyone with their 6/4 - the guy on the Djembe was amazing altogether, got very hypnotic after a while and overall pretty great.

Tinariwen lastnight, with support from a congolese band i cant find the name of but they were in the style of ET Mensah and lots of fun.

Tinariwen took a while to basically hypnotise everyone with their 6/4 - the guy on the Djembe was amazing altogether, got very hypnotic after a while and overall pretty great.
I would have liked to have gone. I saw Tinariwen before but we had shit seats and the main singer wasn’t able to make it because the Syrian conflict was really ramping up at the time. The others were great but we could barely hear them (you really need to be careful booking those cheap choir seats at the NCH).

Neil/Bob in Kilkenny.
I enjoyed this for non-music reasons. We'd just dropped the second of our boys off at "camp" so we were childless. My priority for the day way to drop him to DCU then just "get there when we get there". So we got there in fine time and parked for free (result!). We got to our gate and saw millions of people queueing who looked like they didn't know what the queue was for. So we just went to the top of it and walked in. Missed almost all of Hansard's set (result 2). It was hot, I didn't have a coat, no bag, forgot my phone (all results).
I find at a lot of gigs I'm all stressed because I need to see stuff and people are annoying. At this I was just happy to be there in the atmos. I like Neil Young fine but I had no investment in seeing him. So we went for a beer and chips during his set (2 song wait). I never drink at gigs so that there was a novelty for me (result). Even chips at a gig is a novelty for me. I generally go to gigs with my ticket and that's it. So by the time they played Rockin In The Free World I'd a bit of a buzz on and was singing the chorus like a hurling player. Having a grand old time.
As for Dylan, I was happy once I'd seen him with my own eyes. We left after about 6 or 7 songs. Which I enjoyed. The band was tight and the set was way more organised than I expected. They began together and ended together and got applause. Which TBH was welcome after the rag taggle boogie woogie, extended endings of Young. We strolled out and drive right out of the car park in the HSE building straight to the Travelodge in Waterford.

Huun Huur Tu in the Sugar Club last night. It was unbelievable, I was totally transfixed. After years of watching mediocre white folks boys attempt to throat sing for their "band photo in front of stone henge" folk bands and basically just going wahwahwah, seeing some proper Tuvan throat singing live was completely mindbending. One of the best things I've ever seen live, so delighted I got to be there.

The crowd was mostly fine, but in the corner I was sitting, it was full of JERKS. One loud Aussie dude kept making noises, like when one member would throat sing he'd attempt to do it along with them. During another very cool song where Kaigal-ool Khovalyg made uncanny forest sounds and bird noises, the guy chirped along too. If I was like, less of a passive aggresive person I probably woulnd't have cared but I glared at him. Another group of 4 girls just talked LOUDLY throuhgout, like SISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I DON'T CARE WHAT TANYA DID AT WORK TODAY, SHUT UP OR GET OUT.

Also, Sugar Club was totally fucking packed. Was lucky to get a seat.

Anyway shitty audience members aside, unreal.

I think they continually over-stuff the Sugar Club. Either that or they're very lax on staff/organisers letting their friends in.

It was completely mad. The booths are amazing and comfy and totally my jam now that I'm old enough to want to just sit and sip a drink at gigs, but the stools which are hammered into the ground are way to close, so someone just ends up having to sit in front of you but is basically on TOP of you. LOADS standing. Just like, lads, sell 40 less tickets.

the henry girls* doing the boswell sisters

One of the girls actually sat down and transcribed 23 boswell sisters songs (the pre-cursor to the andrews sisters) and they play them live with a 8-10 piece band.

ridiculously good vocals and the arrangements of that era just seem to be built to be played live.

*i know them and they are sound

the henry girls* doing the boswell sisters

One of the girls actually sat down and transcribed 23 boswell sisters songs (the pre-cursor to the andrews sisters) and they play them live with a 8-10 piece band.

ridiculously good vocals and the arrangements of that era just seem to be built to be played live.

*i know them and they are sound
Where was this on? Would have liked to have seen it. Boswell Sisters are amazing (ly complicated at times), nothing really like the Andrew Sisters. Not just weekend burlesque music.

Where was this on? Would have liked to have seen it. Boswell Sisters are amazing (ly complicated at times), nothing really like the Andrew Sisters. Not just weekend burlesque music.

Galway arts fest/monroes - so far as i know they are doing that set once more this year in donegal and have nothing much lined up in ireland for winter. I'll be drinking cans with them soon though so i'll let you know if they have something in the pipeline. I don't think you learn that much music to play it live three times.

Come on guys, how were Garbage? I don't want to have to depend on Una Mallula's review.
They were great, though Butch Vig appears to have been ill again so different drummer. However, no one looks at the rest of the band when Shirley Manson’s on stage. Mostly material from the first couple of albums, #1 Crush from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack, and some newer ones which were a lot better than I expected them to be. I bought orange Version 2.0 socks from the merch stand. They also did two covers as part of their own songs: they segued into Depeche Mode’s “Personal Jesus” during “Wicked Ways” and at the end of “Vow” they did a noisy outro with Shirley singing Nina Simone’s “Wild Is The Wind”.

I watched thumped users instagram videos and it looked pretty good. Same as going really.
When Springsteen played Croke Park a few years back I could hear him from my house and someone was livestreaming it on Periscope, good gig!

They were great, though Butch Vig appears to have been ill again so different drummer. However, no one looks at the rest of the band when Shirley Manson’s on stage. Mostly material from the first couple of albums, #1 Crush from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack, and some newer ones which were a lot better than I expected them to be. I bought orange Version 2.0 socks from the merch stand. They also did two covers as part of their own songs: they segued into Depeche Mode’s “Personal Jesus” during “Wicked Ways” and at the end of “Vow” they did a noisy outro with Shirley singing Nina Simone’s “Wild Is The Wind”.

Ah good times.

Feeling nostalgic now for when MTV used to play Only Happy When It Rains and Stupid Girl every 20 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back