What gig did you go to last night? (7 Viewers)

Neil Young was really good. Except for the annoying bass player, Promise Of The Real are an excellent backing band. He played some shit songs (some new ones I don't know, Hank To Hendrix), some predictable crowd pleasers (Old Man, Heart of Gold, Rocking Free World) and some amazing stuff it's always good to hear (Everybody Knows, Cortez, My My Hey Hey and a bunch of tracks from Ragged Glory). He looked great and his shredding was intense. But it was a very similar set to the last few times I've seen him. When you have such an amazing catalogue, could you not mix it up a bit? Like A Hurricane? Powderfinger?
I had none of the trouble you did with the venue but I hit the food vans during Glen Hansard so probably missed the worst of it.

I thought Young’s set was great and thought the setlist was a nice mix of unusual selections and crowd pleasers. Opening with “Like an Inca” was incredible - it’s such a jammer compared to the studio version. Along with “Over and Over”, “Human Highway” and “Throw Your Hatred Down”, it was the first time I’ve heard the songs live in all the times I’ve seen him (this is number 8). Nice versions of “Everybody’s Knows This Is Nowhere” and “Piece of Crap” along with a blistering version of “Cortez the Killer”. There was no way that Dylan could follow that and he really didn’t. It was like watching a wedding band (with a drunk singer) after that. Not the worst I’ve seen Dylan but far from the best. The tune with Neil was fun but not worth having to watch the rest of Dylan’s set for.

Also, “From Hank to Hendrix” is nearly 30 years old at this stage, no new material at all last night. The most recent song was “Throw Your Hatred Down” from Mirrorball (1995).

And yes, the POTR bass player was like a steampunk Flea - he could play but he needed to do it out of sight. The two Nelson lads were a lot more in the zone than they were in the 3Arena a few years ago.

Hey everything after 1980 is new as far as I'm concerned! I suppose most of the unexpected songs he did were either ones I didn't know or don't care for much anyway. Like Piece Of Crap. But I'm sure I've heard him do Over And Over several times before.

Mac DeMarco in the Iveagh Gardens. Good fun. Was probably the oldest person there. New Order last week as well. Possibly the youngest person at that.

Mac DeMarco in the Iveagh Gardens. Good fun. Was probably the oldest person there. New Order last week as well. Possibly the youngest person at that.

I wanted to go just to see beabadoobee, did you catch her set?

Hey everything after 1980 is new as far as I'm concerned! I suppose most of the unexpected songs he did were either ones I didn't know or don't care for much anyway. Like Piece Of Crap. But I'm sure I've heard him do Over And Over several times before.
First time “Over and Over” has been played in Ireland according to Sugar Mountain.

Maybe it's the title but I also feel like I've seen him play it an infinite number of times (and I've only seen him four times). I see on that website he's been hitting Love And Only Love hard for some reason, Mother Earth too. I love statistics. Like A Hurricane at all the guys I went to and at none since! Only one showing each for Danger Bird and Sedan Delivery
:love:

Yeah I'm probably getting Over And Over mixed up with Love And... Or some other song from Ragged Glory (which he always plays a lot of). I dunno... maybe I'm just nitpicking but he seems to settled into some staples and then the curveball are not the ones I'm interested in. Like A Hurricane would have made my night. I think he did it in Hyde Park...

Yeah I'm probably getting Over And Over mixed up with Love And... Or some other song from Ragged Glory (which he always plays a lot of). I dunno... maybe I'm just nitpicking but he seems to settled into some staples and then the curveball are not the ones I'm interested in. Like A Hurricane would have made my night. I think he did it in Hyde Park...
He did. He plays it a lot but he doesn't seem to play it here, I've seen him do it once with Crazy Horse at the Point in 2001. It's long overdue a dusting off!

Maybe it's the title but I also feel like I've seen him play it an infinite number of times (and I've only seen him four times). I see on that website he's been hitting Love And Only Love hard for some reason, Mother Earth too. I love statistics. Like A Hurricane at all the guys I went to and at none since! Only one showing each for Danger Bird and Sedan Delivery
:love:
I'm going to make a spreadsheet of what I've seen tonight.

Here is a snippet of my Roy Harper spreadsheet. It seems all the carefully entered numbers indicating the position of the song in the setlist have been turned into 1s :-(

The early gigs are missing a lot of info and they are not as well documented online as neil young gigs

rh.JPG

OK, that literally took a few moments to do. So I've seen Neil Young play 85 different songs, totaling 136 songs including repeats across different gigs. There are 56 songs that I've only ever heard once (including 5 from last night; the most was 15 in one night when he played Vicar St). The longest interval between hearing a song once and then again was 18 years (Piece of Crap) and the songs I've heard the most are:
Love and Only Love (5 times)
Rockin' in the Free World (5 times)
Hey Hey, My My (5 times)
Fuckin' Up (4 times)
Heart of Gold (4 times)
From Hank to Hendrix (3 times)
Don't Let It Bring You Down (3 times)
After the Gold Rush (3 times)
Cinnamon Girl (3 times)
Old Man (3 times)
The Needle and the Damage Done (3 times)
Powderfinger (3 times)
Mother Earth (3 times)
Love to Burn (3 times)

The top albums I've heard most of are:
Greendale (10 songs; 100 %)
Ragged Glory (8 songs; 80 %)
Harvest (7 songs; 70 %)
After the Gold Rush (5 songs; 45.5 %)
Rust Never Sleeps (3 songs; 33 %)

OK, that literally took a few moments to do. So I've seen Neil Young play 85 different songs, totaling 136 songs including repeats across different gigs. There are 56 songs that I've only ever heard once (including 5 from last night; the most was 15 in one night when he played Vicar St). The longest interval between hearing a song once and then again was 18 years (Piece of Crap) and the songs I've heard the most are:
Love and Only Love (5 times)
Rockin' in the Free World (5 times)
Hey Hey, My My (5 times)
Fuckin' Up (4 times)
Heart of Gold (4 times)
From Hank to Hendrix (3 times)
Don't Let It Bring You Down (3 times)
After the Gold Rush (3 times)
Cinnamon Girl (3 times)
Old Man (3 times)
The Needle and the Damage Done (3 times)
Powderfinger (3 times)
Mother Earth (3 times)
Love to Burn (3 times)

The top albums I've heard most of are:
Greendale (10 songs; 100 %)
Ragged Glory (8 songs; 80 %)
Harvest (7 songs; 70 %)
After the Gold Rush (5 songs; 45.5 %)
Rust Never Sleeps (3 songs; 33 %)

81887BA2-1D3F-4198-82FF-FFF1D7ABC76A.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back