What gig did you go to last night? (20 Viewers)

Dinah Brand in Whelan's on Friday. I really should have boned up on the album, their songs are quite impenetrable on first listen. But in fairness I knew that so I was expecting it. Enjoyable gig, great turnout.

Slane on Saturday...... where do you start? By complaining and sounding like a grump? Or look for the positives?
PRO: Good travel and parking experience. Ghost's utter professionalism. Metallica being themselves and always doing whatever they want. Like playing the most normie gig imaginable and still playing an 8 minute song from St. Anger.
CONS: People, booze, too big, quiet, rain, sober Hetfield being a total snooze, sloppy Metallica.

For a band that does so much right, why can't they do the simple simple things? Like get a decent bass tone.

Also at the Cure, quite a few songs I didn't recognise, but a very enjoyable gig. Nice weather. Relaxed crowd. Band sounded great.

Slane on Saturday...... where do you start? By complaining and sounding like a grump? Or look for the positives?
PRO: Good travel and parking experience. Ghost's utter professionalism. Metallica being themselves and always doing whatever they want. Like playing the most normie gig imaginable and still playing an 8 minute song from St. Anger.
CONS: People, booze, too big, quiet, rain, sober Hetfield being a total snooze, sloppy Metallica.

None of these are good things about a gig in fairness. Was it really that bad?

For a band that does so much right, why can't they do the simple simple things? Like get a decent bass tone.

I enjoyed it but that was the last time I'll go to Slane. It's way too big for me. The camp site was very good, I didn't even mind the long walk. I didn't like the huge queue to the bar that was fenced off and pointed away from the gig. Missed a lot of Ghost's set over it. I lost all my mates and due to the sheer size of it spent a lot of time on my own.
The sound wasn't great where I was standing but weirdly got better the further away I went. I would have headed forward a bit but those crowds ...I couldn't face it.
Metallica's cover of The Wild Rover was up there with the best of anything Brush Shields ever did.

Missed a lot of Ghost's set over it.

No booze is worth that.
15 minutes before they were due on my son wanted to go to the loo, I'd to go with him. While we were there I got a text from my wife "get me a coffee". I replied "no coffee". We got back in time for their set but we pretty much ran through the crowd.

sloppy Metallica.

Lars drumming live over the last 20 years has been downright bizarre. Its so random. He seems to forget what the beat is. He will start a fill at any point in the bar and then realizes he has to get back to the one. He's all over the shop at times.

Last edited:
I think they should start using a snare trigger and sample live. He can hit hard during the likes of Sad But True but one he hits a trash beat his snare disappears in the mix. Probably because he's hitting it so lightly.

Aziz Anzari in Vicar St. last night.
I suppose this was his working shit out/apology/aziz 2.0 tour and everyone was supposed to be on board with him doing therapy ( at €51 a head ) but it just wasn't very good or funny, it was cringingly bad at times.

Junior Brother in Lost Lane. It was basically exactly the same as last time I saw him in the Grand Social a month or two ago - some solo songs and then the rest with a mandolin player and a whistler/piper/misc player. Excellent. He's got some eejity fans who whoop and holler too much but it's ok. I picked up one of his new purple vinyls*

*his word

Amon Amarth and Behemoth at king Johns castle Limerick great venue for these two and nice to visit Limerick the last time I was there it was dark so I didn't see much of the place. Behemoth were incredible true masters of there art. Amon Amarth a very Viking themed group playing in a castle built to prevent such raiders traveling up the Shannon.
I had a record of theres but sold it to someone in Florida years ago. The crowd was definitely there for them though and allot of riffs were subsequently churned out. A giant inflatable Nessy took over the stage for the last song was great stuff overall.

Amon Amarth and Behemoth at king Johns castle Limerick great venue for these two and nice to visit Limerick the last time I was there it was dark so I didn't see much of the place. Behemoth were incredible true masters of there art. Amon Amarth a very Viking themed group playing in a castle built to prevent such raiders traveling up the Shannon.
I had a record of theres but sold it to someone in Florida years ago. The crowd was definitely there for them though and allot of riffs were subsequently churned out. A giant inflatable Nessy took over the stage for the last song was great stuff overall.

Saw Amon Amarth in Vicar Street about 3 years ago. They're great craic live

Was at lana del rey in malahide. It was very good. The set was very born to die with 7 or 8 songs from. She also did 3 of the recent singles, using the last song Venice bitch as a way to go and sign autographs.

Downsides
- poor support acts - they were kojacque and tamino. Tamino was just a guy standing on stage with a guitar on his lonesome. I think he was selected as he has posted 2 videos of Lana del rey covers on youtube. I'm off to record some marina covers. Hope to be chosen for support slot in october.
- set was short at 70 minutes and if you discount Venice bitch which was more a talk and greet and guitarist/drummer to rock out, it was 60 minutes.
- people - despite advice from others around, friends of a person very I'll in crowd wouldn't take her to first aid. There were 6 in the group, so 2 just had to go with her.
- trying to get back to the train station with the person i was with, making sure he didn't go to greystones instead. It wouldn't have been ok on my own but going with someone else complicated it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back