What gig did you go to last night? (10 Viewers)

CVRCHES last night. Haven't seen a "mainstream" band live in while so wasn't sure what to expect - it was really excellent. Lauren is a genuinely amazing front women with such a good voice, stage presence and vibe. The stage set up was amazing. She gave Girls Rock a box and a shout out 2 times which is honestly above and beyond supportive. Great show!

Bill Frisell at the NCH. This was great. Amazing players. Great vibe. About a million times better than GoGoPenguin which I had the misfortune of attending last week.

CVRCHES last night. Haven't seen a "mainstream" band live in while so wasn't sure what to expect - it was really excellent. Lauren is a genuinely amazing front women with such a good voice, stage presence and vibe. The stage set up was amazing. She gave Girls Rock a box and a shout out 2 times which is honestly above and beyond supportive. Great show!

I was at it too and it was very good

Massive Attack last night. The arena was nearly full! It was astounding. Absolutely beautiful visuals, really strange and arty, almost like an installation or something. Also...Liz Fraser.

Bit late posting but I went to Maggie Rogers in the Academy last week. I have to say it was one of the most heartwarming and life-affirming gigs I have ever had the pleasure to attend. I've always had a soft spot for well written pop music, but this woman really is something special. Such energy and passion put in to every single song. It was the first gig she had played since the release of her debut album the week before and the look of sheer joy and disbelief on her face, as the crowd sang every word back at her, was enough to bring a tear to a glass eye. She won't be playing in venues that size again for a long, long time.

Massive Attack last night. The arena was nearly full! It was astounding. Absolutely beautiful visuals, really strange and arty, almost like an installation or something. Also...Liz Fraser.
I was tempted by this but didn’t want to risk the usual 3Arena crowd ruining it on me.

The crowd were absolutely appalling. 10,000 people there, I'd say 5000 of them didn't know more than one song and talked through the whole gig.
I so agree! The concert was so incredible, and beautiful, but some of the crowd were really terrible, it was strange, but I blocked them out and went into a better place in my mind!

I so agree! The concert was so incredible, and beautiful, but some of the crowd were really terrible, it was strange, but I blocked them out and went into a better place in my mind!
I kinda did the same thing...there was a Gas Man next to us. I was miserable for a while wondering exactly how I was going to phrase the words "fuck" and "off" in a way that would have the desired effect, but without me getting a punch. Eventually the music got louder and it was grand. The show was visually an Adam Curtis movie i thought, bit less arty and open-ended than Radiohead, and a bit more punk rock. The covers were deadly, so glad i didnt look at the setlist before the gig. The sound by half way through was perfect, really immersive. Fraser was very much part of the ensemble, absolutely beautiful performance but she didn't wander off the beaten track too much. Anyway...really surprised and delighted by how good it was, and seeing Liz Fraser again just capped it off.

Ruts DC/The Professionals in the button factory

The Professionals were good,but not as good as I hoped,seemed sloppy. It was good to see Paul Cook play drums that close though.

Ruts DC were amazing though,seen them before in the Voodoo,but it was packed and a packed Voodoo is almost as bad as not being at the gig. Last night was totally different. I'd be surprised if this one was topped for me.

Not really a gig but the Sonic Youth thing in the IFI last night was great. They showed recently discovered bootleg footage of them playing the 9:30 Club (two songs) around the time Daydream Nation came out, very ropey recording but cool. Then there was an interview of David Donoghue by Lance Bangs about the South Bank Show documentary before they showed a 35 minute cut of the episode. Finally, an interview with Steve Shelley and the live footage of the Daydream Nation Don’t Look Back show from Glasgow. It wasn’t the whole gig and the footage was a bit shit looking on a big screen (lots of pixelation/artifacts) but the performance was scorching. I wanted to crowdsurf in the cinema.

Twenty One Pilots in the O3 on Friday night.
I broke my "no more seated tickets" rule for this one and I will be reapplying that rule HARD from now on. Yea sure our view was "good" blah blah but we could also see the people on the floor having a great time singing, dancing and crying (yes) while the guy beside me has a fucking bucket of popcorn on his lap and security gave out to anyone who dared to stand up. Oh and the endless stream of assholes getting up to get beer/go to the loo.
The lads worked hard all night and pulled out all the stops to make for a great show. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's two guys, one is behind a drum kit and the other is behind a piano for 50% of the gig. When Tyler did engage the audience they lapped it up in a frenzy. The set list was quite heavy on Trench material which is mellow and introspective and you could feel the attention drift during those songs.
I could go on with gripes but they are so tied to the seated experience that's it isn't fair on the gig; if we'd have been in the thick of it having fun this could have been spectacular.

Not really a gig but the Sonic Youth thing in the IFI last night was great. They showed recently discovered bootleg footage of them playing the 9:30 Club (two songs) around the time Daydream Nation came out, very ropey recording but cool. Then there was an interview of David Donoghue by Lance Bangs about the South Bank Show documentary before they showed a 35 minute cut of the episode. Finally, an interview with Steve Shelley and the live footage of the Daydream Nation Don’t Look Back show from Glasgow. It wasn’t the whole gig and the footage was a bit shit looking on a big screen (lots of pixelation/artifacts) but the performance was scorching. I wanted to crowdsurf in the cinema.

Really enjoyed this too! Was kind of surprised by the missing songs in the live video. Wonder what the reasoning was behind that?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Anthony
  • rettucs
  • dudley
  • N
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back