What gig did you go to last night? (2 Viewers)

Daniel O'Sullivan in Bello Bar with Paul Smyth supporting. Very excellent. I saw O'Sullivan with a full band before and I wasn't so taken with it but solo and with just the drummer/fiddler it was great.
I wanted to go but pulled my back on Friday so decided against standing for an evening. I listened to loads of Keiji Haino instead.

I wanted to go but pulled my back on Friday so decided against standing for an evening. I listened to loads of Keiji Haino instead.
I was sure I saw you there actually. I had to run off to get the last bus from there to the fucking north side so I never got to say hello and/or confront the shameless impersonator.

Nobody was standing, it was very comfortable

I was sure I saw you there actually. I had to run off to get the last bus from there to the fucking north side so I never got to say hello and/or confront the shameless impersonator.

Nobody was standing, it was very comfortable
Hopefully my doppelgänger enjoyed it.

Susanna in the studio room at the national concert hall.

It was gorgeous, hauntingly beautiful performance. She was accompanied by a violinist, harpist and an accordionist performing mostly songs from her latest album.

She ended it with her cover of perfect day and then to finish it off love way to the top. Her set included a great selection of songs, many covers. Freight day was a really great live as was the song that goes Derry Derry down. The accordion on that one inparticularly was greatly maniacal.

do tell. i was disappointed i couldn't go.
Basically it sounded like piss-weak jamming to me, with some iPad app noodling and guitar widdle over everything. Even the bits when they appeared to be not jamming. I'm not familiar with his music so I didn't recognize anything. The general vibe was nice, it was just the music I didn't like.

Basically it sounded like piss-weak jamming to me, with some iPad app noodling and guitar widdle over everything. Even the bits when they appeared to be not jamming. I'm not familiar with his music so I didn't recognize anything. The general vibe was nice, it was just the music I didn't like.
i know gyan is a guitarist but was terry playing guitar too or just pushing buttons?

i know gyan is a guitarist but was terry playing guitar too or just pushing buttons?
Terry was playing a big keyboard, with piano sounds. He also had another keyboard and it looked like that was hooked up to synths on his laptop, but he didn't use it a lot. And the iPad. For one song he played back sitar and bongo sounds off the iPad and sang Indian stuff over it. But mostly piano stuff though

I didn’t like the first piece but loved everything else. Huge mix of stuff, not really like anything I have by him. Some of it was ragtime jazz, Middle eastern-ish jamming, he sang a raga, another bit sounded very folky, the iPad bit sounded good to me (plinky plonk Dalek noises and Gyan doing some cool harmonic stuff on the guitar), and so on. I brought my uncle who was almost completely unfamiliar with Riley (aside from what he saw on the BBC minimalism documentary a few months ago) and I think he loved it more than me.

They’re playing again tonight, I’d go again but would like to see my kids at some point this week.

Adam Buxton in Vicar Street last night. Live recording of a podcast where he interviewed David O'Doherty. Really funny. Both lads were great. I think there was only two points in the whole night where the entertainment dipped.

I went to kero kero bonito in Whelan's last night.

I was so fed up, I left at 10:10. I could barely hear them playing with the yelling in the crowd, I couldn't see them either and most of the crowd seem to want to push and shove people, jumping. A big thing was I was scared someone would push me and I would rebreak my nose.

I just got fed up and wanted to go home.

Tim koh of Ariel pink was support. I didn't think he was much good either. I'm sure as a main act, he would be as it would be his crowd.

They Might Be Giants in The Button Factory. Early start, they were onstage at 7.30pm. Played for ages then took a break and did another shorter set. It was brilliant. Just what a gig should be. Excellent musicians enjoying themselves. Not afraid to drop the big hits early in the night and also play some deep cuts. Sold out crowd all up for it. Flans had a joke intro for the songs from the new album asking the crowd to fake interest in them. Played them, 70% of the crowd singing along. I'm sad it'll be another 5 or so years before I see them again, if ever.

Went to Jeff Rosenstock on Saturday. Savage gig, Me and one of my mates were pretty much dancing and moshing for the whole thing like 2 men hurtling towards a mid life crisis, Probably the most enjoyable gig I've been at in years. Had
Unfortunately, 1 of the people that was staying with me ended up tripping over some rubbish bags on the quays and injured himself pretty badly so I ended up finishing in the Mater A&E ward. He's fine now but it was all pretty scary.

Nurse With Wound and Current 93 in the City of London. Terrific night. NWW did an hour of new material, weirdly easy listening for them but very satisfying. C93 played their new album in full, excellent line up with harmonium, hurdy gurdy, bagpipes, etc. creating an eerie folk horroresque sound. Very different from the full rock orchestra I’ve seen them do before. Four old songs after the new album, including a devastating version of “Sleep Has His House”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back