What gig did you go to last night? (4 Viewers)

Went to see Anna Burch upstairs in Whelans. Nice gig. She has a nice, catchy brand of twee about her sound and it comes across really well live. She was playing for the first time with a bunch of musicians who'll be backing her on her Ireland and UK dates. Despite not knowing them there was clearly a lot of warmth between them and that spread throughout the crowd (about 3/4s full). She seems lovely too.

I remember being excited about gigs I had booked, as opposed to thinking "Fuck's sake, I was looking forward to sitting down later" on the day of. You'd think I'd be fired up for them given how infrequent they are.

I remember being excited about gigs I had booked, as opposed to thinking "Fuck's sake, I was looking forward to sitting down later" on the day of. You'd think I'd be fired up for them given how infrequent they are.

I know exactly what you mean......
cc. to the you know you're getting old thread.

this is the first time I can remember that I don't have a drawer full of tickets for upcoming gigs. I do have a couple that I haven't yet gotten tickets for (Low, Courtney Barnett), but I'd normally have a load.

Also sold my electric picnic tickets last week cos I can't be arsed.

I don't think gigs are infrequent at all now,there's probably more than ever,and that's part of the problem.
See recent posts on promoters not promoting. I see very little these days that I would be interested in, let alone would actually go to. Nick Cave was my first gig of 2018, nothing else cropped up on my radar.

That said, things are looking busier over the next few months: Low, Songs:Molina, Terry Riley, Gavin Bryars and Current 93/Nurse With Wound all lined up. I feel a little depressed that I don’t go to see new bands anymore but I just don’t have the time to listen to new stuff to see what’s worth checking out. I don’t know how @rettucs does it.

Aidan Moffat & RM Hubbert (with Siobhan Wilson) in the Grand Social last night. Lovely wee gig, playing their album Here Lies The Body and a couple of songs for an encore, so short enough. RM Hubbert is some guitarist, I could listen to him all night.

Gas between-song patter with a crowd as well. Crowd were great - well into it but prepared to keep quiet and listen to the music - one of the quietest crowds I've been in for ages. Siobhan Wilson was ace, only caught 3 or 4 of her songs, but the room was totally silent while she was playing, which was just as well, she was really quiet.

On the bus home by 11. Thumbs up for a Tuesday night.

Ariel Pink in the button factory. Sold out gig.
I didn’t see the support act (sorry) Pink & band came on around 9:25. First song, one of favourite songs of last year, kitchen witch. They went through the set without much gaps. AP didn’t say a whole lot, a bit disappointing, though he did stage dive twice. The band were really good. They have the sound & feel down. I saw the Asian bass player from Haunted Graffiti (Tim Koh) at the desk supervising the front of house sound, which was very good. Pink has his own effects unit for his vocals, Loads of reverb & delays, sounds strangely demonic at times. I don’t think they played anything from before today, bit of a shame. They came back on for an encore & I was expecting round & round or frightnite. That would have topped it off nicely, but they played some older songs. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

Someone has footage up already. What an age we live in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was at that too. I really fucking hate the button factory when it's packed and that had a big impact on my enjoyment of this gig. Went upstairs after a few songs and left before 10pm.

Apart from that, I don't really know anything about AP. I listened to a recent album a few times when it came out which would explain why all the songs were familiar. I wasn't sure if they were covers or not! I thought there was a touch of pop genius about him last night, along the lines of Prince or Rundgren, except obviously he's not a great singer and it was not nearly so polished, and there's something wrong with it over all, can't put my finger on it now. But the ingredients were there - mad catchy pop chops, basically. The band were cool.

II was at A Hawk & A Hacksaw the night before, I quite enjoyed it.

Conan & Full of hell in Limerick. Cracking gig. Great sound, all bands played blinders. Knackered getting in at half three this morning. Roll on tonight

Went to see a band called The Lone Bellow last night. They're deadly live, Country stuff. They put on a fantastic show and actually look like they're really enjoying it. I'm actually kind of surprised they're not bigger.

SLF and the Defects in the academy. Enjoyable,but rammed as it was sold out. I seemed out of place as I was not wearing an SLF t-shirt.
Then round to Fibbers for xSLF,honestly expected more at it given the devoted fan base of SLF. Lots of the same songs,a bit more ropey,but again enjoyable. A bunch of obscure tunes played too.

Europe were great. Recognised most of the songs as I've been listening to the recent releases a lot and most of the set seemed to be from them. Would definitely go see them again.
Didn't like King King at all

I went to riverdance last week.

It was pretty fun like both in slightly impossible physical feat way and a spinal tap type way. Reminiscent of Jeff Waynes war of the worlds at times (voice overs). Russian lads doing traditional russian stuff was really impressive. Didn't like the choice of harmonies in a lot of things. Live drummer was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back