What gig did you go to last night? (2 Viewers)

John Maus at Grand Social - was buzzing after this, the live band added a lot of power to the sound and his murky 4-track compositions really explode onto another level in a live setting. The manically intense performance style would leave you slightly concerned for his health but I assume there's a level of theatrical control there.. Believer is a huge pop hit in an alternate universe somewhere I'm sure.

Rocket from the crypt. Top class. Atom back in the hot seat. What a drummer

Rocket from the crypt. Top class. Atom back in the hot seat. What a drummer

I didn't actually realise that was Atom playing with them until I read it here after. With the longer hair and no glasses I assumed it was the other guy playing. Great gig.

i was at Jesca Hoop in the workman's club last night. I enjoyed it particularly i liked her stories and explanation between goods.

something odd was there was about 10 people at the front all sitting on the ground, it was like a festival at 3pm with all the people sitting on the ground.. I don't get to many gigs in the workman so is this normal?

(not complaining about it as it meant i had an unimpeded view of the stage, just curious)

Last edited:
Friday. I was at The Lost Brothers in the solstice theatre in Navan. They were very excellent and their guest musicians band were just wow, Steve Wickham and other folk legends whose names are lost on me. I brought the in-laws and they absolutely loved it.
Then straight over to the Stonehouse for a late gig by Pat McManus. TBH he wasn't on form this time. Guitar tone seriously lacking. Still a legend.

Saturday. I was planning on going to the cobblestone but my mrs. would have been left home alone and is still recovering from an operation. So I wanted to stick by her. We ended up both heading to Navan for the second night of The Lost Brothers big gigs. After much discussion with the venue over trying to get a stool in we only made it four songs and had to split.

Good weekend

Jane Weaver in the workman's. Really good turn out for this. The sound was good. The band was spot on, especially the rhythm section. They locked in perfectly for those motorik grooves. They could do with another female member though. Someone to provide some ghostly backing vocals. Jane, herself sang really well. All good.

But, I found the presentation a bit dull. This type of music needs some visual accompaniment.
I was waiting for something to kick in, but it didn't happen. The stage lighting was just plain, white light. It needed some basic mood lighting, patterns, changing colours, something..The house lights they have can do that, but no, they stayed static all night. They was a blank protection screen behind the band, perfect for some random swirling projections, but nothing appeared. . And I kept looking up at the two lonely mirror balls that never moved all night.
Yeah... I thought the venue for this let her down. She's playing in Vicar Street in February - which will be a far better venue!

Geoff Tate's Operation Mindcrime in The Button Factory.
Bizarre gig. Geoff marking the 30th anniversary of a legendary album by performing it in its entirety..... with a band made up mainly on young fellas. This was the first night of the tour and I would bet that it was the first time they've played the thing. Technical problems GALORE and plenty of mistakes. By the end they left the stage in a quiet rage.

Redneck Manifesto in Whelans. First time seeing them in about 7 or 8 years, I reckon. Absolute stormer.

i was at Jesca Hoop in the workman's club last night. I enjoyed it particularly i liked her stories and explanation between goods.

something odd was there was about 10 people at the front all sitting on the ground, it was like a festival at 3pm with all the people sitting on the ground.. I don't get to many gigs in the workman so is this normal?

(not complaining about it as it meant i had an unimpeded view of the stage, just curious)

Was at that gig as well, she was deadly. Also, I don't know if this is normal. Maybe this happens at folky gigs. I was standing near the back so I didn't realize that was happening.

I had my first non alcoholic beer at this gig! It was vile, won't be doing that again.

Went to see Pup and the Menzingers in Whelans last night. Went to see Pup, they were good fun but the Menzingers were something else, they don't really blow me away on record but live they're savage. Well worth checking out if you get the chance. Don't think I've seen that lively a crowd at a Sunday night gig in years.

It got a little cool after a while alright but in general I found the vibe really cozy and warm and not spooky at all. In fact, I'd say it was a perfect venue for the occasion.
They should have had the gig downstairs in the crypt, that would have been spooky.

In related news, I had a ticket for Shirley Collins but couldn’t go in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back