What gig did you go to last night? (6 Viewers)

I was at the Kurt Vile gig too. I'm a recent convert and I really enjoyed it. Good, friendly vibe too.

Kurt Vile & The Violators in Vicar Street.

Bit of a Sunday night gig buzz at this. His output is hit and miss for me. Pretty Pimpin is great, Peeping Tomboy is horrible. He looks like he has really big hands.

Venue was well packed.
One of the Violators had a cream/off yellow Les Paul with a bigsby that looked awesome
It was very windy on the way home.
Didn't get a supermacs.

thats a pretty damning review.

Kurt Vile is just plain DULL.

Last gig I was at was Alabama Shakes about 2 weeks ago. They were great. Yr wan Brittany has an amazing voice. Awful lot of people there that wouldn't shut the fuck up though

Kurt Vile & The Violators in Vicar Street.

Bit of a Sunday night gig buzz at this. His output is hit and miss for me. Pretty Pimpin is great, Peeping Tomboy is horrible. He looks like he has really big hands.

Venue was well packed.
One of the Violators had a cream/off yellow Les Paul with a bigsby that looked awesome
It was very windy on the way home.
Didn't get a supermacs.

Peeping Tom's the only song I've ever heard by him.

Last gig I was at was Alabama Shakes about 2 weeks ago. They were great. Yr wan Brittany has an amazing voice. Awful lot of people there that wouldn't shut the fuck up though
The bigger the gig, the more gobshites present that won't stop talking / using social media. Isn't 40-50 mins of a live gig enough time to shut the hell up and enjoy it? Obviously not.

The Mountain Goats on Saturday night was great. Got to have a really nice quick chat with Jon Wurster too.

I'm not a huge fan, in part I'm too intimidated by the size of the catalogue to really jump in, but I really enjoyed the gig. JD seems like a very nice man.

When d'ya reckon did the bass player figure out that he looked a bit like Don Draper and went for the wardrobe?

I only have 3 of their albums, that was plenty to really enjoy the gig. The songs I didn't know were easy to take in at a gig for the first time.

I'm not a huge fan, in part I'm too intimidated by the size of the catalogue to really jump in, but I really enjoyed the gig. JD seems like a very nice man.

Great gig alright. All Hail West Texas is a great starting point, the last of his lo-fi albums, and the last song they played is on that (The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton). There is a vast amount of stuff alright!

I kind of lost interest in them in recent times, so I didn't go to the last show they did (2010?), a friend did, knew none of the songs and loved every minute of it. The between-song chat is almost worth the price of admission alone!

i was at the mountain goats show too - great, great gig. pity he gets here so infrequently - only the 4th visit in 19 years, but he adds a member each time.

looking at the set-list from saturday night, over half the songs came from the last three albums (5 from the most recent one), one (and a half) covers, a few fan favourites in the encore and only one (love cuts the strings) from the last century. oddly, two of the three solo songs were repeats from the last whelan's gig, as was the lizzy cover. in short - start with the recent stuff and work backwards.

Southwestern Territory
Cry For Judas
Ballad Of Bull Ramos
Animal Mask
Get Lonely
Heel Turn 2
- = - = -
(Solo section)
Madame George (1st verse)
Love Cuts The Strings
Hawaiian Feeling a.k..a. The Day The Aliens Came
Steal Smoked Fish (piano)
- = - = -
The Diaz Brothers
Stabbed To Death Outside San Juan
Damn These Vampires
Game Shows Touch Our Lives
Never Quite Free
The Boys Are Back In Town
Amy a.k.a. Spent Gladiator 1
- = - = -
(Encore)
This Year
Up The Wolves
The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton

[QUOTE="Unicron, post: 1642068, member: 1569"When d'ya reckon did the bass player figure out that he looked a bit like Don Draper and went for the wardrobe?[/QUOTE]

5 years before mad men started on t.v. peter hughes has been the most dapper indie musician for years, not to mention a sternum-rattling bass player and a gent.

i was at the mountain goats show too - great, great gig. pity he gets here so infrequently - only the 4th visit in 19 years, but he adds a member each time.

looking at the set-list from saturday night, over half the songs came from the last three albums (5 from the most recent one), one (and a half) covers, a few fan favourites in the encore and only one (love cuts the strings) from the last century. oddly, two of the three solo songs were repeats from the last whelan's gig, as was the lizzy cover. in short - start with the recent stuff and work backwards.

Southwestern Territory
Cry For Judas
Ballad Of Bull Ramos
Animal Mask
Get Lonely
Heel Turn 2
- = - = -
(Solo section)
Madame George (1st verse)
Love Cuts The Strings
Hawaiian Feeling a.k..a. The Day The Aliens Came
Steal Smoked Fish (piano)
- = - = -
The Diaz Brothers
Stabbed To Death Outside San Juan
Damn These Vampires
Game Shows Touch Our Lives
Never Quite Free
The Boys Are Back In Town
Amy a.k.a. Spent Gladiator 1
- = - = -
(Encore)
This Year
Up The Wolves
The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton

[QUOTE="Unicron, post: 1642068, member: 1569"When d'ya reckon did the bass player figure out that he looked a bit like Don Draper and went for the wardrobe?

5 years before mad men started on t.v. peter hughes has been the most dapper indie musician for years, not to mention a sternum-rattling bass player and a gent.[/QUOTE]

What was the one he described as a companion piece to one of the things he did in the solo section? About vampires? I liked that one.

Shame they didn't do the Ballad of Chavo Guerrero what with last week being the 10 year anniversary of his brother's death.1

What was the one he described as a companion piece to one of the things he did in the solo section? About vampires? I liked that one1

solo one was steal smoked fish, a bonus track from transcendental youth, vampire one was damn these vampires from all externals deck.

I'd like to have heard foreign object myself, but no complaints.

5 years before mad men started on t.v. peter hughes has been the most dapper indie musician for years, not to mention a sternum-rattling bass player and a gent.

What was the one he described as a companion piece to one of the things he did in the solo section? About vampires? I liked that one.

Shame they didn't do the Ballad of Chavo Guerrero what with last week being the 10 year anniversary of his brother's death.1
10 years? Jesus

went to see the necks in the peacock last night, which pretty much confirmed my belief that there's a strong psychoactive component in their live sound along with an uncanny ability to mess with the spacetime continuum at will.

single, 80-minute piece which started pretty slowly for the first 15 - lots of arco bass, rubbed drum skins, one-chord piano pulse, etc making me think they'd be playing a pretty restrained, quiet set - but by the end, had a full-kit workout, throbbing bass and rapid, ascending piano arpeggios.

full house, great sound. thanks to @Improvised Music Company

went to see the necks in the peacock last night, which pretty much confirmed my belief that there's a strong psychoactive component in their live sound along with an uncanny ability to mess with the spacetime continuum at will.

single, 80-minute piece which started pretty slowly for the first 15 - lots of arco bass, rubbed drum skins, one-chord piano pulse, etc making me think they'd be playing a pretty restrained, quiet set - but by the end, had a full-kit workout, throbbing bass and rapid, ascending piano arpeggios.

full house, great sound. thanks to @Improvised Music Company
I was there too, great recap of the evening's music. Totally agree on all points.

I went to @Unclealo and Spook Of The Thirteenth Lock performing Lockout in Hangar on Saturday night. I, sadly, missed the opening 15 minutes but the rest of it was incredible. I have to say it felt like a musical designed specifically with me in mind. Beautiful performance by Al and the rest of the folks. Emotive, energetic, and the sound was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

• shitepipe
  • Unicron
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back