What gig did you go to last night? (5 Viewers)

I went to Bruce Springsteen courtesy of @Unicron and it wasn't great. Sound was a mess and I dunno the auld stadium gigs leave me feeling a bit cold at the best of times. Also, I see no virtue in a 3+ hr set if there are people (auld lads and auld wans) standing for the duration.

Went to Glimmermen etc in the Grand Social on Saturday night. Disappointing turn out from the scene. Maybe it's just me but I only recognised about 4 people there (that weren't playing). It didn't matter musically because Windings were awesome and Glimmermen were excellent. Advantage Windings because of the live experience but for a band that don't play too often Glimmers were great. New tunes and TUNEZ.

I went to 2 days of Body and Soul and then couldn't face the mud on the third day..

The highlight was definitely Mbongwana Star who blew my fucking head off they were so heavy. Like a post-punk metal band playing Fela Kuti, minus all the morto bits of white guys doing "afro-beat". The album is disappointingly not nearly as heavy.

Went to Glimmermen etc in the Grand Social on Saturday night. Disappointing turn out from the scene. Maybe it's just me but I only recognised about 4 people there (that weren't playing). It didn't matter musically because Windings were awesome and Glimmermen were excellent. Advantage Windings because of the live experience but for a band that don't play too often Glimmers were great. New tunes and TUNEZ.
Was intending to go to this but bashed me foot but I did go see their Tower in-store on Friday evening, played the entire new record. Love the Gimmermen.

I went to 2 days of Body and Soul and then couldn't face the mud on the third day..

The highlight was definitely Mbongwana Star who blew my fucking head off they were so heavy. Like a post-punk metal band playing Fela Kuti, minus all the morto bits of white guys doing "afro-beat". The album is disappointingly not nearly as heavy.

So wanted to see them at Primavera but it would have mean't missing LCD. I like their album a lot. There are one or duds on it but the awesomeness more than makes up for it. Would love to see them live. There is some Irish dude that is part of the band, right?

I went to body and soul too. Stuck it out for the 3 days. Sunday was absolute carnage with the rain and mud. It took half the night for people to get their cars out of the car parks sunday night. The place was a bog when I arrived down on friday, so after about 30 hours of rain, it wasn't going to be any better by the time the festival ended. There were 3 tractors to tow pretty much every car. Thankfully, I was able to get out of the car park saturday night, and guessing how bad the sunday would be, parked right by the exit so I'd get out ok sunday night.

It was my first B+S and overall was enjoy able. The security is far more relaxed than bigger festivals. The queueing was efficient and easy. The campsites were compact, but didn't feel too crowded (an observation made walking through them, - I didn't camp).

The toilets were a debacle though. Talking to a female friend yesterday, she was apalled by how few portaloos there were, relative to the crowd size (15k, up an extra 5000 on previous years, where they had pretty much the exact same amenities).

Friday and Saturday were reasonable to good to bad, weather-wise. Friday was chilly and overcast, but dry. Saturday was nice during the day, but the rain began at about 6/7pm, and underfoot conditions started to deteriorate. Sunday was a mess. An absolute mess. Not the fault of the organisers, obviously, but they reall could have done more to help. The entrance to the Electric Circus tent (the second stage), was about 3 inches deep of utter sludge. The main stage was quite dangerous underfoot and a lot of people were slipping and falling. Some areas had straw laid down to help, and it did help, but there wasn't enough of it.

Wolf Parade were the main draw for me, but there was enough on the bill to make for an interesting weekend. A brief summary of what I saw then.

Friday;

Bitch Falcon - good. Very tight, very enjoyable. I thought they reminded me of Sleater-Kinney in parts (@Lili Marlene suggested they were more like Courtney Love).

BadBadNotGood - Instrumental jazz, rock. It was fine. Not really my thing.

Ho99o9 (pronouced 'horror') - Interesting. Pushing the boundary between hip-hop and metal out that little bit further. Probably heavy enough to be classed as metal. Energetic performance, and an act I'd like to see again in an indoor venue with better sound.

The Gloaming - They were great, but putting these on the main stage of this festival was all wrong. The majority of people at the festival were kids. Festival-fans, rather than music fans. Everyone tends to gravitate towards the main stage for the headliner each night. The kids were utterly bored by The Gloaming. Idiots. Their performance was great. Flawless. As usual. But it should not have been on the main stage, IMO.

Saturday;

Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - Fantastic. These lads were on form. The set was made up of the recent collaborative album they made so there was none of Yorkston's previous stuff. They're back this way in August. Not to be missed.

Jambinai - on of the new finds for me. South Koreans, playing, mostly, instrumental stuff. Its a blend of traditional South Korean music infused with rock/metal, played on traditional instruments (which were a little mad looking, to say the least).

Mercury Rev - a typical set from these, dipping generously into their back catalog, particularly Deserter's Songs and All is Dream. A very tight performance from the band, and a nice atmosphere generated by the small, enthusiastic crowd, while the rain was failling on us. The only distraction to be had was the occasional selfie-request with Aiden Gillen, clearly a big MR fan.

Neon Indian - fun set, described to me as someone with a great sound, but no good songs. That tallies. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy his albums, but he was very enjoyable live.

Floating Points - beautiful set, played with a band, rather than any over-reliance on backing tracks. Some of the crowd struggled with the middle, mellower part of the set, but the livelier numbers played towards the end would have left everyone satisfied.

Junior Boys - caught a couple of songs between Floating Points and St.Germain. They sounded great. I'd like to have seen the full set, but others were higher up my list. Would go and see them if they ever came back this way.

St.Germain - good, but I couldn't help feeling a little short-changed. He had a band with him, and they sounded great. But, given that he went to the effort of putting a band together, it seemed a bit nonsensical not to have live vocals. I watched about 2/3s of the set, then left. I'd seen enough.

Sunday;

Rusnagano Family - caught the last half of their set. A small, lively crowd turned up in the rain to see them. They were great. A real unexpected treat in how good they were. Mark Kozelek made reference to them when he came out for his set afterwards, saying he didn't know who they were, but that they were amazing. I want to check these lads out - I think they have connections to the Windings lads (I saw a couple of them floating around with the band).

Sun Kil Moon - really excellent. Hardly anyone turned up to see them, but Kozelek told each and every one of the 25 of us that he loved us all. He played songs from Univeral Themes (very much a rambling, stream-of-consciousness type album), as well as a song he'd just written about gun violence in America (he had the works written out and sellotaped to a monitor. I brought a couple of friends to this that didn't know anything by him. They loved it. It was a very captivating set. Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth was with him, playing drums.

Gold Panda - caught a few minutes of this. It was grand. There seemed to be big crowds at everything in the tent on the sunday because of the rain. It was a bit of a sweat-box because of this. GP has a good sound, and the crowd were loving it. But, really, its a lad with a laptop.

Tanya Tagaq - another real find. Prior to the set she thanked (in advance) the small crowd for coming to see 'what it is we do'. Shes a 'throat-singer'. As the blurb on the B+S website says (Tanya Tagaq - Body&Soul), shes a genre all of her own. It was her, a percussionist and a violinist, and it was utterly intriguing to watch and to listen to. Not something you'd put on headphones when out for a walk, but a performance I won't forget in a hurry.

Wolf Parade - The main act of the whole weekend for me, and they didn't disappoint. Fantastic, tight performance from them, mostly concentrating on songs from the first 2 albums. Again, this was out in the rain, so that kept the numbers watching them to a minimum. But everyone that turned up seemed to be loving it.

Ibibio Sound Machine - very enjoyable. Traditional African sounds infused with dance and electronic music. Again, a small crowd turned up to watch.

Santigold - the only time all weekend where the area around the main stage was completely packed. She came on stage late, started talking to the crowd as the roadies were still setting the equipment up. She apologised to the crowd for being late - some story about how they almost didn't make it because of a problem in Dublin Airport where they almost didn't let some of her party through. The set started about 15 minutes late, so only got to play for 40 minutes or so (due to the strict midnight curfew). I haven't a clue of her music but it seemed it was mostly songs from her last album that she played. Everyone else seemed to know every word. Not my thing, but enjoyable enough.

@scutter has apparently never fucking listened to Sleater-Kinney btw. or any other Riot Grrl band.

So wanted to see them at Primavera but it would have mean't missing LCD. I like their album a lot. There are one or duds on it but the awesomeness more than makes up for it. Would love to see them live. There is some Irish dude that is part of the band, right?
So I found out afterwards, he wasn't with them at this show. The live show was something else, the lads in the wheelchairs doing synchronized dancing and the guitarist lad just going off on one solo-ing away.

At the end the guitarist and bassist and backup singer fella all jumped on the speakers at the edge of the stage and started dancing in sync but then the guitarist fell over and his strap broke but he kept on playing. It were brill.

But you did go on the Sunday, which I feel bad about since all the bands I wanted to see were playing that day, although I defo made the right decision.

This woman seems to have gone to a completely different Body & Soul event. I wore Tesco clothing for an entire weekend at Body & Soul - here's how it went - Independent.ie

I love her day 3 photo. Days 1 and 2 have obvious festival stuff in the background. Day 3, clearly taken in her back garden.

Heres a pic I took of ground by the main stage on sunday afternoon before things really kicked off.

ClUrb2oWgAA5ukZ.jpg

Just back from Blackberry Smoke at The Academy. Just a great, fun gig. Skynrd style Country rock with hints of pink floyd, Zeppelin, good Aerosmith and even a bit of Bob Marley and my new favourite lead guitaristsin Charlie Star. Full house, enthusiastic crowd. On the down side.."ole, ole, ole ole"...

Users who are viewing this thread

• N
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back