What format should I release my new record on? (1 Viewer)

We got a couple of hundred CDs duplicated down in Cork, and gave about half them away at the launch gig. Rest are up on bandcamp. Used CDBaby to cover Spotify, Apple Music, etc - think it was around 70 dollars (including buying a barcode) but it's a once off price, so the stuff will be up there until CDBaby dies which is nice.

For promo we made a soundcloud playlist with all the tracks downloadable and used that, also sent people bandcamp download codes if they didn't wanna use soundcloud for some reason. For radio we used yangaroo

Looked into vinyl but it's very expensive. Stephen was toying with the idea of doing a kickstarter for a vinyl run, dunno how far he got with it
just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to press 100 records? or 300 maybe, that seems to be the most common run for independently released stuff, from what I can see anyway

Just having a goooooo:

Distrokid = $19.99 for a year for loads of releases
CD Baby = $69.99 for as long as CD baby lasts or $35 without the full collections options

So after about 2 or 4 years CD Baby, if it still exists, become cheaper for one album.

For two albums, CD baby takes 7 years to become cheaper.

For three albums, CD baby takes 11 years to become cheaper.

So i'd say it depends on where you are a with releases and so on.

Just thinking,Bandcamp is really the only one that'll pay for itself

I don't like the idea of a recurring payment for the privelage of having the record on the streaming services

So Bandcamp FTW

Depends on your listenership and needs. I recently put a whole band's catalouge on distrokid. 5 albums plus EPs. One yearly cost, can't remember how much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back