WHAT DO YOU WANT???? (4 Viewers)

Gibson are taking the piss with their new prices these days, and its pushing the second hand stuff up too. A standard Gibson Les Paul will run you the same as a Custom Shop Fender at the moment.

Tokai, Orville, Greco, and Epiphone are you best bet for value for a Les Paul type, but even then the good ones will run you over €500.

They've always veered a bit pricier though haven't they? I never thought I'd own a Gibson till I bought yours

They've always veered a bit pricier though haven't they? I never thought I'd own a Gibson till I bought yours

Yeah they have, but they've gone from being a bit pricier then Fenders in the 90's, to way , way more expensive. There's been consistent jumps in price the last 10 years or so. Even SG Sandards have gone up, and for a while they were the best value guitar around. I wouldn't mind, but the nerd forums will tell you their QC is woeful.

Not to mention the price of their 335s.

My da has a MIK 1997 epiphone les paul. It is a fine guitar. Has some cheap Giovanni pick ups in it and sounds great.

This is a bit mad looking--but I like it

Orange-Aid

Manson---Orange-FRONT.jpg

Orange%20guitar.jpg

i'll need to get myself a gigging amp soon and give the VC30 back. Anyone here use Blackstar amps? I see a series one 45 in Jimi's second hand section, could be long gone of course.

figures. johnny nice gear.

after a bit of reading last night i totally want one of those 45s. looks like you can drop the wattage way down for apartment level jams. however, the price of them new is eye watering. gonna get saving and hope for the second hand route.

i'll need to get myself a gigging amp soon and give the VC30 back. Anyone here use Blackstar amps? I see a series one 45 in Jimi's second hand section, could be long gone of course.

Blackstar make good amps. I had a HT5, and it's 'trick' is this ISF control which is supposed make the amp sound like a Mesa or a Marshall. It doesn't really, but it sounds pretty good.

If you looking for something they'll do good metal tones with a decent clean sound, then it'll do that. But if you want to get your tones from pedals, like I reckon you've been doing with the Laney, the Blackstar is a bit of a waste.

What are you criteria? loudness? portability? tone?

If you looking for something they'll do good metal tones with a decent clean sound, then it'll do that. But if you want to get your tones from pedals, like I reckon you've been doing with the Laney, the Blackstar is a bit of a waste.

everything I own is a bit of a waste when compared to my ability in truth.

Loudness - loud enough to be heard in a 4 piece.
Portability - as much as I'd love a head and cab it's going to have to be a combo for space in the apartment, and fitting into a fiesta.
Tone - Yes!

I'm going to need to be able to get up to metal chugs for the Middle Ages. I'd like some alt-county sounds for home use. Not too much to ask for right?

I’ve always thought Hiwatts look cool so I’m going to have a look about them later...

I’d love to try a 68 Princeton to get some ryan adams tones. Sadly I don’t see myself affording 4 of them mushed together like what he do.

Interesting Mark. I am in no immediate rush to be honest, Ive a month or two, but it's good to see there are options out there. That marshall does seem cheap. I totally know I'm going to end up spending too much on something fancy. You know what it's like.

Those hondos look very cool. I have a stock studio dot now. It's on the long finger but I have plans to upgrade the pups and pots. Looking at dimarzio air classics...sometime in the next year.

I've been concentrating on getting all my gear working this year. No trying to do it on the cheap myself anymore. By the end of the year,if I continue with this and I hope I do,I will surely have spent enough that I could have bought a really pricey guitar or amp. But the feeling of having stuff actually work and play good is nice.

So far,I've two amps done,one more to be done.
One guitar done,refret up nest on another.

Blackstar make good amps. I had a HT5, and it's 'trick' is this ISF control which is supposed make the amp sound like a Mesa or a Marshall. It doesn't really, but it sounds pretty good.

What are you criteria? loudness? portability? tone?

I bought a Blackstar 1X12 HT40 a few years ago as a smaller and lighter back up to my Marshall 2X12 JCM 800. They are very well made, but it actually wasn't much smaller or lighter ( a few pounds) than the marshall. My main problem was with the drive channel. It's very modern metal sounding. I couldn't warm to it. I later sold it and bought a secondhand Laney LC30 which I'm much happier with. It's smaller, lighter & has a much more natural classic overdrive channel on it.

I bought a Blackstar 1X12 HT40 a few years ago as a smaller and lighter back up to my Marshall 2X12 JCM 800. They are very well made, but it actually wasn't much smaller or lighter ( a few pounds) than the marshall. My main problem was with the drive channel. It's very modern metal sounding. I couldn't warm to it. I later sold it and bought a secondhand Laney LC30 which I'm much happier with. It's smaller, lighter & has a much more natural classic overdrive channel on it.

ha, that is a funny coincidence. i just ordered a ltd edition ht-40 with an upgraded speaker to the regular ones. it's got a vintage 30 in it. also, it's purple. Should be picking it up next saturday. I have some metal commitments so I won't mind a bit of that.

coincidence number 2, im currently using a 212 laney vc30. great amp, but i have to give it back some time and i wanted to try something different.

coincidence number 3! there's a jcm 800 on adverts that I also really wanted, but i went for the blackstar in the end thinking it will be more versatile.

if i had more room and more money i'd have loads of nice things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back