What do you think about Irish brewers selling 440ml cans? (1 Viewer)

What have you drank and what styles do you like beer baron?

The smaller craft (or whatever you want to call them) guys in the US were great. My cheapish go-to was Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but there were loads of excellent really hoppy IPAs.

Does Ireland have a reputation for good beer? News to me.

I've been trying the local craft stuff around here and have narrowed it down to a few that I like. I'm drinking a nice bottle with an episode of the X-Files these days. hashtag lockdownlife
Yeah. They do. Or we do. I'm growing back my Irish parts now, so I can do the "we" bit. I got this suggested a lot in the US.
There are some world class quality Irish beers on the go at the moment. Galway bay / Land & Labour, Whiplash, white Gypsy but to name a few

Nice one. I'll give them a go. The ones I've been working through have tasted like milk toast copies. I've actually gone sober for the month, seeing as I'm a rampant alco and you have to be measured and careful in this. But my purgatory is up next weekend, so I'll wreck some more liver with these babies.

Having won international awards

Hmmmmmm.
HMMMMMMMMMM.

One thing I don't believe for a second are those booze awards. I'll decide if they're any good thankyouverymuch.

Booze awards remind me of when Ken Follet wrote his own forward, for his own book, proclaiming that Ken Follet was on peak form creating this masterpiece work.

As in: they're bollocks.

Hmmmmmm.
HMMMMMMMMMM.

One thing I don't believe for a second are those booze awards. I'll decide if they're any good thankyouverymuch.

Booze awards remind me of when Ken Follet wrote his own forward, for his own book, proclaiming that Ken Follet was on peak form creating this masterpiece work.

As in: they're bollocks.

ok sure. You know they're not awarding themselves the awards right?
Apart from being able to google each awarding body, you can literally search any beer and view each beer's score

Regular Sierra Nevada used to be one of my reliable fall back options for when I just wanted to buy some beer without having to fucking think about it and I thought you couldn't go wrong but recently I've started to find it disgusting. Now I go for an unpronounceable and unwriteable Danish brand. 440ml in a can but I don't know if 500ml was ever a well established standard there so I don't care.

i like chieftain IPA, even if franciscan well have been sold to (spit) coors.

was in town a couple of years back with my wife, her turn to buy and she went up and asked the barman for a 'chieftain ale' for me.
'sure, but it's an IPA'
'yes, a chieftain ale'
'it's not an ale, it's an IPA'.

she said sure, just pour it.

i like chieftain IPA, even if franciscan well have been sold to (spit) coors.

was in town a couple of years back with my wife, her turn to buy and she went up and asked the barman for a 'chieftain ale' for me.
'sure, but it's an IPA'
'yes, a chieftain ale'
'it's not an ale, it's an IPA'.

she said sure, just pour it.

Too many cheiftans, not enough indian pale ales.

The smaller craft (or whatever you want to call them) guys in the US were great. My cheapish go-to was Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but there were loads of excellent really hoppy IPAs.

Think you can get that in Tesco. Haven't tried it so not sure what would compare. A few of my Irish faves that should be findable in off licenses or Supervalue.

Hope - Hop On (sessionable, slightly hazy IPA. Could drink it all the time.)
Hope - Handsome Jack (much stronger/more bitter than the Hop On. Moved on to this when i got used to drinking IPAs)

Best two of the Hope core beers. They also bring out specials which are always good quality, if not always my style of beer.

Rascals - Blue one (american wheat style. bit like blue moon but nicer)
Rascals - Yellow one (melony, incredibly easy to drink)
Rascals - Green one (more hops than the other two)

Those are my favourite of the Rascals core. They bring out a lot of specials which veer greatly in quality. Some amazing, some terrible.

White Hag also do lots of nice small cans in the 4 for 10e range.

Dot Brew, Larkins have great stuff, but you are getting into expensive treat cans there. Kinnegar are good bang for your buck too. I love some of the O'Brother beers, Tipping Point being a highlight.

Lidl have a good thing going with the 500ml bottles from the Crafty Co. I really like the stout, brown ale and american wheat. no nonsense boozing.

You mean To ol @hiadudiad? ? I was pronouncing it "Too ol", but someone else said "Tool" and that's probably right? Their House of Pale Ale is probably my favorite beer at the minute. Amazing consistency.

There is lots of stuff out there, some dodgy some amazing. I didn't know anything about craft beer about 18 months ago, but well into it now. NEIPAs are my favourite style FYI. Something hazy with a soft mouthfeel and tropical style hops.

Yeah, that's them. To Øl. They seem to have them everywhere too, which is cool. I usually stock up on the House of Pale and/or the Whirl Domination and then maybe a few others just to try out but they're never as nice as the To Øl ones.

tesco seem to have a weird pricing on booze. it's usually more expensive than my local spar on a lot of stuff.
e.g. my local spar used to do 330ml cans of five lamps lager (a perfectly alright lager) for €1.75 each, but it was four for a tenner in tesco.

Also a fan of the To ól stuff. Loving the Trouble Park Life Hells and multiple nice hells they have in Ranelagh. Kinnegar are pretty much all great as ever. Lough Gill from Sligo are doing some lovely beers now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back