What do I need to buy for my forthcoming child? (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
What do I need.... what's good/what's useless?

And I'm talking about the whole shebang. Pads, pumps, the lot. Need recommendations and such like.

vests, lots of them

babygrows - get ones that zip up at the front (ankle to neck), or ones that button up one inside leg and down the other

you will thank me for this

Wee cotton mits for their hands. They come out with nails on and tend cheesegrate their face, just to make sure it's there like. "ooh what a lovely JEEEESSUSS!!"

-Dozens of little towels for burping.
-Bottles with an internal plastic stem (reduces cholic).
-Carry seat, obviously. a lot of buggies have these
-A couple of thick soft blankets for wrapping them up with after feeding,They find it soothing up round their cheeks.

And what snakey said. Thats really about it. S'not as complicated as you'd expect. Just keep em warm and keep em fed. See how the missus gets on breastfeeding the first 2/3 weeks and then get the pump after.

Coffee. You'll need coffee.

baby skin always seems to be in need of attention... we used to have a big yoke of Sudocreme and that drying talc powder stuff about the place, for blotchy skin and nappy rash and all that.
And those wet wipe throw away things too. Fuck the environment on that one for the time being.
And then make up a little kit with all this in it, along with alcohol cream to clean your hands (before and after) you change the baby when you are out somewhere awkward.
Also... my mate just bought a little tiny cheap pushchair thing that he just leaves in the car, so he doesnt have to bring the big one all over the shop all the time if he is in a rush.

alcohol what now?

don't buy a high chair, argos do a booster seat for about 30 bills, strap it to your kitchen chair and *bingo* you have a high chair, it's totally sturdy and cool and all that...

Dunnes stores were always aces here for the stuff she/he is going to grow out of, I got a wicked changing bag set with loads of pockets and a mat for about 14 quid there... mothercare would've stuck a tarten pattern on it and charged me three of four times that...

Coffee. You'll need coffee.

DVDs too, a couple of series of something... you'll never get to watch a whole program on tv again so you can just bang these on and off as required at 3am or good knows what time on a sunday morning...

I was lucky that there happened to be an olymipics on telly when Eala was born... you might not be...

alcohol what now?
This sort of thing...

handwash.jpg

if ye're thinking of breastfeeding, then get this bad boy.
lansinoh-creme.gif

about 13quid in mothercare and you'll only need the one. after two weeks or so of constant feeding you wont need it.
the lady's cracked, painful bleeding nipples will thank you for it.

if i was to do it again, I wouldn't have bought babygros and vests in mothercare. You'll be buying new sizes every three weeks or so. Dunnes all the way.

if i was to do it again, I wouldn't have bought babygros and vests in mothercare. You'll be buying new sizes every three weeks or so. Dunnes all the way.

I think it's fair to say that you can get caught up in a consumer frenzy before the kiddo is born and think that 'investing' in good gear is a smart idea... then you realise you've not used the very very pricey sling you splashed out in mothercare for and anyway he/she no longer fits in it so it was just a total waste of more money

I have an amusing story about buying a buggy, that I won't tell here as no one comes off well from it, but if you ever see me in a pub make me tell it...

by the way, billy, people are going to be calling by constantly with presents - most of them useless little "cute" outfits that the nipper'll never wear

pre-empt this by sending out the message that you want practical stuff like nappies and vasogen cream and vests and shit like that

by the way, billy, people are going to be calling by constantly with presents - most of them useless little "cute" outfits that the nipper'll never wear

pre-empt this by sending out the message that you want practical stuff like nappies and vasogen cream and vests and shit like that

We're obviously going to ask people to cut down on the frankincense and myrrh, and maybe give a bit more gold.

this is a really really good idea.

• also, cellular blankets (about four)
  • about 3 packets of maternity pads (ye may need more, play the bleeding by ear.)
  • see if you an get the 100 box of breast pads in mothercare. The 'large' ones with adhesive are USELESS. do not buy them if you can avoid it. the other ones are smaller and aren't sticky.
  • don't buy a changing unit. all you need is a changing mat, i usually put a fleecey blanket under her when i'm changing her for her own comfort, sometimes i don't have to if the room is warm. (she makes a really cute panicky "UHHH!!UHHH!!!!!" noise when she's on a cold surface.)
  • have a steriliser and bottles and formula anyway just in case the breastfeeding goes higgeldy piggeldy at the beginning. you're bound to have hiccups, the most important thing is support and to not be made feel like a failure for feeling that it's too difficult. because it is fucking hard, but gets so much easier. also, don't mind all the nazi books that tell you otherwise. a bottle the odd time won't do any damage to the baby or its feeding habits.
i'll go think some more now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back