What did your Grandfather do for a living? (1 Viewer)

Paternal grandfather - A baker all his life in Bolands in Grand Canal St. My father was there for 40 years also.

Maternal Granfather - A soldier in the british army mostly posted in India and a reknowned athlete like his father before. His first job after WW II was as a trapeze artist/gymnast in the xmas spectacular in Pym's Department store on george's Street. he was then the caretaker of the Pym's house in Blackrock living in the gate lodge then a gardener and house painter for a while. He was always well looked after by the good burghers of the Dun Laoghaire area coz of his war record and proddy heritage (though he was brought up catholic). he also chauffeured Monty through Italy on the 43-45 campaign and finished the war in Vichy as a prison officer overlooking the arrested collaborateurs. Apparently he was the regiment's best boxer so he was always kept well away from the frontline. never met him though, he died when I was two, would love to have known him.

one worked in HR recruiting for facebook Ireland, the other, as far as I can remember worked for vodafone as a knowledge author i think.

one worked in HR recruiting for facebook Ireland, the other, as far as I can remember worked for vodafone as a knowledge author i think.

one answered calls for a living, the other worked in a call-centre. I think my grandmother worked in customer service

grandpa gertz was a soldier in WW2. he spent a bit of time in an Allied POW camp before going on to a fruitful career in diamond importing. grandpa dunne was a failed sign writer

My maternal grandfather was in the Irish army, then worked in Jacobs.

My paternal grandfather worked as a docker.

All my grandparents died before I was born. Both my parents lost their fathers at 14 years old. My maternal grandmother died a few months before I was born and I freaked out my mother and her family as a young kid telling them how I met her in "Holy God's" before I was born.

I was a weird kid...who grew into a weird adult.

One was a farmer all his life. Had the biggest funeral I've ever seen.
Other was a labourer of all sorts in Ireland and London, didn't know him very well.

No IRA connection with either of them, they were too young for that.

Salt of the earth, me.

One was in the army. Served in the UN force that was sent to the Congo.
Other was the manager of a firm which dealt with grain storage and other agricultural er, stuff, as well as operating a few hardware stores.

Da's da was a cop. In the special branch, I believe. I have a vague memory of him. From all accounts he was a prankster of the highest order. Some of the tales (possibly tall tales) my uncle tells about him are very funny.
Ma's da was an engineer -first in the British navy and then he worked on the railway. He died before I was born. He was drinker and my ma has nothing good to say about him. Handsome chap, though.

Da's Da had a short military career after being educated a military school in England called Stoneyhurst.

He gained the rank of Lieutenant in the service of the Connaught Rangers. He fought in the First World War. In 1922 he lost his commission in the British Army after joining a mutiny of Irish in the British Army in India. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the Irish Army.

Ma's Da was a headmaster.

In 1922 he lost his commission in the British Army after joining a mutiny of Irish in the British Army in India. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the Irish Army.

You presumably already know but there's a memorial for these guys in Glasnevin Cemetery, I hadn't heard of that particular revolt until I saw it.

Cheers, I didn't know that, I think Da mentioned to me once. I have an interview of him talking to Donncha O'Dulaing on a RTE documentary about it. Grandad caught malaria and was shipped back to Southampton with two others in their tropical clothes in the middle of winter where they were to be executed over the mutiny. They were pardoned because his uncle was Surgeon General of the Royal Navy. Big shame for the family at the time.

Anyway sure here it is:

4768805597_75ba9b1482_b.jpg

This is a great thread. Never met either of my Grandfathers.

My maternal grandfather was a farmer from North Tipp and did the IRA thing in the 1920s. Died in the early 70's I think. Seemed WAY older then my Grandmother, and she was old. Got the feeling it was a Lisdoonvarna type arrangement. In any pics I've seen he looked like Steptoe, but my mum says he was lovely.

My paternal grandfather ran a haberdashery shop in Christchurch, was in the army, and died of a brain hemorrhage after taking in a rugby game in 1962. My Nana was never able to mention his name without crying.

This is a great thread. Never met either of my Grandfathers.

My maternal grandfather was a farmer from North Tipp and did the IRA thing in the 1920s. Died in the early 70's I think. Seemed WAY older then my Grandmother, and she was old. Got the feeling it was a Lisdoonvarna type arrangement. In any pics I've seen he looked like Steptoe, but my mum says he was lovely.

My paternal grandfather ran a haberdashery shop in Christchurch, was in the army, and died of a brain hemorrhage after taking in a rugby game in 1962. My Nana was never able to mention his name without crying.

AWWWWWEEE

Lisdoonvarna - So cute
Crying anytime his name was mentioned - So sad

Wow thanks, I'd say some of them died afterwards with no food or money. My grandad said they'd no money for food cigarettes or drink the whole way home from India and they used to go round the boat scabbing all the time.

My Grandad was in India too, though I never got to meet him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back