What crop are you growing this year? (1 Viewer)

We have a polytunnel, its only about a degree warmer in there than the outside at night, it heats up big time under the sun of course. We'll see how next year goes, first years tend to go well due to lack of pre-existing stuff in the soil.

Anyway, we found the tomatoes to be absolute prima donnas early on, wilting at the slightest change to their situation, we were covering them at night and bringing up literal hot water bottles to keep them warm! Aside from that though, they don't actually like the heat (relatively speaking), they're apparently grown in the shade in very hot countries.

my order of mushroom grain spawn arrived this afternoon. just got a helpful answer from the chap who supplied them, as i mistakenly assumed the different varieties would look the same in the bags. hoping to get started on creating some woodshavings to grow them on over the next few days.

the easiest substrate to grow them on seems to be a mix of straw and used coffee grounds. there's an insomnia about 200m away where i hope to get the latter (even though i've never set foot in the place before)

i *think* my attempts at growing mushrooms on wood shavings is working. being an impatient person, i opened the bucket and while it's definitely not as far along as i'd hoped, i think i see signs of clumping. it's only 12 days in and from what i've read should take at least a month - and i didn't have as much starter spawn to begin with as i should have used.

I had nothing last year, but looks good for this year. Read up that there's loads of trimming work you can do to a tree to help the next year and it seems to have worked. Apple Crumble season is back, baby

It's looking like very few apples around here, I've been putting it down to lack of frost over winter, I believe a cold snap is needed? No experience with apples but we have a few trees so have been trying to get to grips with them.

I pruned some of them back in January so may have just messed that up but even the ones i didn't touch aren't looking up to much.

loads of apples on our two trees, i probably pruned one third of the apples off each and it wasn't enough, will have to do some more.

loads of apples on our two trees, i probably pruned one third of the apples off each and it wasn't enough, will have to do some more.
Thinking about it, i didn't even see the crab apple tree blossoming this year, i reckon the very mild winter we had here (West Kerry) is to blame, barely any frosty days

Or are apples biennial and if these were all planted the same year (I have no idea) I'm just being a thicko?

i decided to do my usual garlic peel fest this afternoon - the reason for which is to pick out the biggest cloves to plant for next year - and i think we're in rude enough health supply wise. what's in the pot is for eating, and what's on the counter is for planting (i'd usually plant about 60 cloves of 'normal' garlic but we promised a couple of people some, so there's 100 cloves of garlic plus i think 16 cloves of elephant garlic. will plant them probably sometime between october and december.

PXL_20220828_191754685.jpg

i decided to do my usual garlic peel fest this afternoon - the reason for which is to pick out the biggest cloves to plant for next year - and i think we're in rude enough health supply wise. what's in the pot is for eating, and what's on the counter is for planting (i'd usually plant about 60 cloves of 'normal' garlic but we promised a couple of people some, so there's 100 cloves of garlic plus i think 16 cloves of elephant garlic. will plant them probably sometime between october and december.
How did you get started, MB? Did you have to get special seed garlic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back