What crop are you growing this year? (2 Viewers)

Everything died in the hot weather. This was obviously all my fault somehow.
My mum said that all her plants died too, and she's a legend of a horticulturist. I thought that fact might save me from too much castigation, but no. I have killed all the crop, apparently.

Anyway, we've restarted with some more basil and coriander and mint. I'd love to grow tomatoes properly sometime. Tomatoes just hate me.

My apple tree normally delivers a massive crop, but this year a grand total of 6... No visible signs of any problem with the tree, and those 6 are perfectly good apples, but baffled why it didn't grow properly this year.

Dear Thumped, what do I do now?

My apple tree normally delivers a massive crop, but this year a grand total of 6... No visible signs of any problem with the tree, and those 6 are perfectly good apples, but baffled why it didn't grow properly this year.

Dear Thumped, what do I do now?

There was a late frost around May that fucked the apple trees my parents have. They usually get a great crop from 3 or 4 trees but the blossoms were killed around then so this year there's barely anything. Perhaps yours were similarly hit.

As to what to do, they'll probably recover for next year.

we're overloaded with apples this year, i never got round to thinning the cookers out.

Same here - saw the wasps had taken out a few and i was like 'thanks lads' - All I ever do is about two days of making Jam that gets gifted out over the winter. I probably should look at a second recipie this year, see what other preserves can be done.

Updates:

• We have had endless Tomatoes the past two months, which has been great.
  • Potatoes got blighted to fuck but still salvaged some. Learnt a lesson there.
  • Strawberries got into a bit of hassle with ants farming aphids, we got it sorted but it fucked around the yield, or at least that's my excuse.
  • Realised that having a million cucumbers is kind of pointless when we eat about half a cucumber a week. It's a totally alien looking plant though. We might try growing outdoors next year to reduce the yield
  • Raspberries happened and were good, will continue.
  • Got a few blueberries, it apparently takes about 5 years to get going properly with blueberry bushes. I didn't even know you could grow blueberries in Ireland!
  • Grew a few corncobs for fun, all went well.
  • Peppers are still growing, looking decent.
  • We let some lettuce go to seed for the laugh, mental looking plant.
  • Loads of peas and beans, all good. The plants weren't looking super healthy but it seemed to go ok.
  • The courgettes beat the earwigs but then we had to eat courgette so probably won't grow them again! Cool plant all the same. Kinda same with aubergine.
  • Various pumpkins and squashes are growing right now and looking good.
  • Have too much Kale, it seems fairly indestructible. There's only so much Kale anyone wants to eat.
  • Growing some turnips right now, the most underrated vegetable.

Over winter I want to clear away the orchard area that we haven't done anything with, apple trees are struggling with lack of care. We have some gooseberry bushes we let the caterpillars strip this year, next year we might try and do something with them.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and composting is tremendously difficult to pull off successfully. Probably should pay more attention to all the specifics of the methods.

@Lili Marlene amazing work, well done!

Pickle those cucumbers! And I’ve some nice recipes for courgette if you decide to keep going with them.
We've been doing some pickling alright, we'd have an entire house of it if we continue though! Sure, send on any recipes. I quite enjoyed growing the courgette, cool flowers.

Wow @Lili Marlene you have done really well! This was your first year? Fucking impressive in fairness
The girlfriend got a massive headstart on my earlier in the year when I was knee-deep in endless work and nursing a foot injury, i've been playing catchup. It's about 25% me, 70% her, 5% stuff that was already here so we just got it up and running again.

Oh yeah, and composting is tremendously difficult to pull off successfully. Probably should pay more attention to all the specifics of the methods.
Indeed very difficult. The only time we ever had compost that looked like the bought stuff was when we had a worm bin years ago. These days we have a hotbin for the kitchen waste that turns everything into a stinking slimy sludge that I wheelbarrow into the main compost pile in the veg area once in a while. Mrs. egg_ uses it, but it's supplemented with a few tonnes of stuff from the local recycling centre every year

I made a composter years back that was kinda tall, had an air gap at the bottom and was otherwise badly ventilated. Got good compost out of it - only tore it down because I was moving house. I just fired everything in it and stirred it with a pitchfork every few months.

we usually get through a lot of courgettes too. mainly fry them with a little oil and pepper.
would love a greenhouse or similar, we have given up trying to grow tomatoes/peppers etc. without something suitable to grow them in.
never really had an issue with composting. do you put any cut grass in the composter?

we just lifted the rest of the spuds. will probably store them in soil in the garage. they'd started to be attacked a little by those tiny millipede yokes.
carrots have done really well for us this year; beans were a washout and peas did well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back