What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

Me. I've just finished my last 3. I can only remember one of them now.

dudley said:
do none of you'se ever go for the 3 for 2 deals in waterstones?

snakybus said:
Ever read Saki?
No, should I? Funny stuff?

Luckily there's a load more Jeeves and Wooster books out. I found a few for free online the other day but I don't like reading a whole book off the computer screen so I'll wait until I can pick up actual books.
:heart: :heart: P.G. Wodehouse!!:heart: :heart:

chutneyfarmer said:
My current reading is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. Enjoying it so far but I haven't been able to read too much of it coz I've been busy this week. Didn't realise that is was basically stories within a story, which is pretty cool.

I just finished 'Diary' last night, somewhat disappointing and nowhere near as good as his other stuff, some poignant moments but overall it kind of felt like he was phoning this one in. Looking forward to reading 'Haunted' though, 'Guts' = .|..| :D

Started a book called 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michael Faber tonight. Found it in my sister's room, doesn't seem like something I would normally read but just finished the first chapter and it is pretty interesting in the way the story is told: the reader being actively placed in the story as an invisible spectator by the author; seems like it could be very addictive.

eucrid eucrow said:
I just finished 'Diary' last night, somewhat disappointing and nowhere near as good as his other stuff, some poignant moments but overall it kind of felt like he was phoning this one in. Looking forward to reading 'Haunted' though, 'Guts' = .|..| :D

I thought much the same. Haunted is a bit patchy though, nothing else in it comes anywhere close to being as good as Guts.

"the news sociology of economic behaviour"

the chapter "identity and economic behaviour" and some of "competition, growth and development"

Just finished 'The mind gym'

Now reading 'A short history of nearly everything'

My god! what have I become?

chutneyfarmer said:
Saw this in work the other day. Thinking of picking it up. Should I get some of his other books first though?
Shit, I only just saw your post. I dunno; I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas YEARS ago and I loved it at the time. The Proud Highway is a completely different book: where Fear and Loathing was semi - if not totally - fiction, Proud Highway is real letters he wrote to friends, lovers, publishing houses, newspapers etc. He still comes across as a tear-away, but a lot more of a senstive sort and not quite such a looper. Proud Highway shows how he got to be the writer he was.

Read The Secret Diary of John Major (aged 47¾) last night which was gas. The Dear Bill letters are in the post to me. I love getting Private Eye publications for 99p on Ebay. .|..|

Crazy name, crazy guy.
spiritualtramp said:
Read The Secret Diary of John Major (aged 47¾) last night which was gas. The Dear Bill letters are in the post to me. I love getting Private Eye publications for 99p on Ebay. .|..|
I love PE too, though I only read it when I'm taking flights. My Dad has every copy bar about 3 of them.

book reading at the moment: "life of pi". enjoyable.

lately read: "the medusa frequency". an absolutely delightful and entrancing work by an absolute genius.

"inferno / from an occult diary" by august strindberg. swedish playwrite, wouldbe alchemist, absinthe addict and complete nutter on living a life of endless extreme paranoia, who dwells on telepathic intercourse with his estranged unfortunate wife and gives himself brain damage in attempts to make gold from heating up lead. "last night, a fearful storm raged... i am sure each lightning bolt was aimed at me personally, and failed to hit the mark".
some very amusing and highly entertaining cartoons based on this man and his diary here:
http://www.strindbergandhelium.com/

Read Pale Fire by Nabokov there recently, an altogether astoundingly amazing book altogether. The premise and the way it's constructed are simply marvellous. Um, short of superlatives here. Anyway, :heart::heart::heart:Nabokov:heart::heart::heart:

Now nearly finished the Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. I have to confess, I *really* don't get this lad at all; I thought Swim-Two-Birds was fairly shite also. Nonsensical farce is all well and good, but not when you start to get the impression there're no rules at all and literally anything can happen...it's like, I dunno, once someone gets out of a sticky situation in a thriller by waking up, the rest of it is rendered meaningless. Or summat. I dunno, maybe I just don't get the joke. If someone would care to share their favourite O'Brien moment with me and point out the gag, I'd be eternally grateful.

Lookin forward to retreating to Nabokov, in the form of Bend Sinister, next. Once that's out of the way, I can get down to the serious business of digesting Claudia Carroll's latest offering.

claudia_carroll.gif

xxxxxxx

Finished To Kill a Mocking Bird recently and am now reading The Satanic Verses. Both are amazing in completely different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back