What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu - I went into this with no expectations and was blown away by it. This guy really does handle the "big sci fi questions" thing with aplomb, and does it in a really easy to read way too (well, apart from the physics bits, which were a bit mind-stretchy but fine, not complete gobbledegook). Really can't wait to read the next book in this series.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells - After Motherless Brooklyn, I wasn't expecting another teen confessional from this, the first in the Murderbot series, so was surprised to find that. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Really engaging, sort of like Adrian Mole crossed with Robocop, in space. Looking forward to the next in the series.

The Player of Games by Iain Banks - Working my way through the Culture series. Consider Phlebas was good, but I absolutely loved this. Who said Banks wasn't that good a writer? I thought this was fantastic, and fun, and just utterly different and original. I think Banks is becoming one of my favourite writers.
I'm just reading the second 3 Body book now, I was worried I'd need a refresher because I couldn't remember much from the first one, but it's going fine. I like it better than the first one, I think. It's an easier read for me.

I *heart* Murderbot!

I loved all the Iain Banks books, but I tried to pick up one of the sci-fi ones for a reread a few years ago and I couldn't get into it at all. I think there was torture in it and I just can't read torture at all any more. It really coloured my happy memories of the Culture stuff. :( Maybe I just got unlucky.

I'm just reading the second 3 Body book now, I was worried I'd need a refresher because I couldn't remember much from the first one, but it's going fine. I like it better than the first one, I think. It's an easier read for me.

I *heart* Murderbot!

I loved all the Iain Banks books, but I tried to pick up one of the sci-fi ones for a reread a few years ago and I couldn't get into it at all. I think there was torture in it and I just can't read torture at all any more. It really coloured my happy memories of the Culture stuff. :( Maybe I just got unlucky.
Okay, will keep an eye out for that (though I don't mind torture actually lol).

Jealous you're onto The Dark Forest. It's next on my TBR pile!

And yeah, I reckon the last scene in the first Murderbot book is one of the best ever and actually made the book for me. My only issue with reading all of them is then they'll be finished and I'll have no more Murderbot, so I'm gonna space them out. :D

I’ve read dozens of books since I last posted but I had great fun poring through this today, a collection of Nick Blinko’s art published by Zagava:
View attachment 14766

I’m not a massive Rudimentary Peni fan but love his art so this massively hit the spot. I imagine @GARYXKNIFEDX and @nuke terrorist would be into this?

View attachment 14767
View attachment 14768
cheers Cornu - looks amazing. I didn't know about that.

to be honest I only have the odd R.P. record from after the 1980's. Will fix that when the reissues surface.
some of their records I only have on CD ! if ever there was a band to buy on vinyl it's Rudimentary Peni.
Cacophony (1988) is one of my favourite albums - very unusual to see a band of Crass era doing their best album at that point. It's a concept album based on Lovecraft.

also there was an R.P. jigsaw available a couple of years ago.
now that I think of it I got their The Chances 7" a month or two back but it's in a stack of records I couldn't listen to until my stereo speaker cables arrived last week....

just gave it a few listens - it's a Wilfred Owen poem the band recorded in 2009 given release as a one sided single last year. Good stuff captures the words very well and as ever the art work alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm still waiting on my copy
Early Rudimentary Peni is amongst the greatest music ever.
I had re-listened to that one they did in the 90s after Blinko was institutionalised (as it’s the only one on streaming I think?) and I liked it a lot more than I did a few years ago. Must try the first ones again.

Fuckin hell that lad has some collection. Says in the ad these are duplicates too, what the fuck, does he just buy out all the second-hand bookshops he can find, did a bunch of libraries give away their catalogues to him?? I've only seen one sci-fi book collection that could match that – assuming the guy who had that 15 years ago has kept collecting more over that time

Finished 'The Secret History' by Donna Tart last night.

I'd read 'The Goldfinch' a few years ago and enjoyed it.

this wasn't great though. 650 pages around 1 event that happened in the lives of some schoolkids. She's a great writer but she kind of dragged the arse out of that story.

Finished 'The Secret History' by Donna Tart last night.

I'd read 'The Goldfinch' a few years ago and enjoyed it.

this wasn't great though. 650 pages around 1 event that happened in the lives of some schoolkids. She's a great writer but she kind of dragged the arse out of that story.
Wtf? That's her best book by a long shot.

Fuckin hell that lad has some collection. Says in the ad these are duplicates too, what the fuck, does he just buy out all the second-hand bookshops he can find, did a bunch of libraries give away their catalogues to him?? I've only seen one sci-fi book collection that could match that – assuming the guy who had that 15 years ago has kept collecting more over that time
I hear what you're saying. What a nerd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back