What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Read bits of it in college but never start to finish. Always meant to come back to it but it's a big bastard and somewhat outdated.
Yah, same. It's just one of those texts that is constantly referenced throughout the 20th century.

Didn't read half the stuff on the reading lists in college. Now all I want to do is read but never have the time. There's probably some poetic justice in all of that.

Unrelated question , has anyone ever read Frazer's The Golden Bough? I feel like I need a proper study guide or lecture series to help explain it to me because I never did classics and I haven't a clue what's being referenced 99% of the time. It's such a foundational text though that I feel like I should struggle through.
I read it 12 or so years ago and it was a slog. I am glad to have ticked it off the list but I didn’t have the background knowledge to really get much from it. I’ll probably read it again in the next 10 years.

Jonathan Strange is great!

I read it 12 or so years ago and it was a slog. I am glad to have ticked it off the list but I didn’t have the background knowledge to really get much from it. I’ll probably read it again in the next 10 years.
Yeah this is it, I could force myself to read every word but it just seems like a waste of my time if I don't have something guiding me.

Currently reading House Of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

mostly not enjoying this. But I'm too far into into to pack it in now. flit in and out of being into it and really not into it. Can't wait until I have the bloody thing finished.

Started the year off slow with some reading fatigue, but this tiny book totally woke me up. Beautiful, beautiful writing.

43697186.jpg

Unrelated, but after a year of some lazy ready (i read a decent amount , but nothing particularly challenging, new, or mindblowing), I'd love some out-of-the-box recommendations?

HMU.

Unrelated, but after a year of some lazy ready (i read a decent amount , but nothing particularly challenging, new, or mindblowing), I'd love some out-of-the-box recommendations?

HMU.
Read the two mega-selling Erin Morgenstern books and let me know if they're actually any good

HMU.
The other Nicholas Royle:

The other Nicholas Royle:

Why am I STILL confused about whether this is the one I know or not...

I tried to read The Gift by Nabokov for my book club. I got two chapters in and admitted defeat. Turns out Russian meta-fiction isn't for me.

I applaud you, because there are few authors out there I abhor more than Vladimir Nabokov.

Just finished Night Boat to Tangier, utterly loved it, the dialogue was astounding
Ah fantastic, someone gave me that for Christmas. Also the book club in work which I've been avoiding up until now are doing it. Hmm

Just finishing Bring Up the Bodies by Hillary Mantel. Absolutely enthralled. Last part of the trilogy is out pretty soon I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back