What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

I'm reading The Constant Gardener by John Le Carre

Not my usual fare but am enjoying it . Extremely British. Lots of Foreign Office intrigue and beautiful idealistic women getting murdered

Every year I read A Book I Should Have Read By Now, this year's is Moby Dick. I'm on page 224 or 536. It's a struggle at times, I ain't gonna lie - starts off really readable and atmospheric, then he goes off on weird tangents about the different types of whales, and the cultural significance of the colour white, and the like. It's picking up again now thank fuck. Anyone else on here made this voyage and come out the other side?

Can someone recommend a book that they got sucked into and couldn't put down? Plus, it was something that actually made them smile and/or laugh? Any genre. I need a good distraction.
The last book that totally engrossed me was My Year of Rest and Relaxation, it's also unbelievably mean-spirited which might make it funny or not, depending on the person. Fairly sure @jonah thinks i'm a bad person for liking it so much though.

Every year I read A Book I Should Have Read By Now, this year's is Moby Dick. I'm on page 224 or 536. It's a struggle at times, I ain't gonna lie - starts off really readable and atmospheric, then he goes off on weird tangents about the different types of whales, and the cultural significance of the colour white, and the like. It's picking up again now thank fuck. Anyone else on here made this voyage and come out the other side?
I've never read it but have a similar list to get through. Godspeed.
I also just noticed I've had Cod and Salt in my wishlist for over ten years now. One of these days I'll actually have to read them.

@Jill Hives I really liked Mumblin Deaf Ro's book, and one particular scene made me LOL for real (and at length)

Actually Jill if you're in need of a distraction from some unpleasantness and/or ennui this is a really good choice. Not much happening, lots of people being nice to each other and giving one another insightful advice

The last book that totally engrossed me was My Year of Rest and Relaxation, it's also unbelievably mean-spirited which might make it funny or not, depending on the person. Fairly sure @jonah thinks i'm a bad person for liking it so much though.

Au contraire, just made me wish I wasn't so led by my earnestness :) And the ending sucked COME ON.

Au contraire, just made me wish I wasn't so led by my earnestness :) And the ending sucked COME ON.
I felt the ending was earned, but only barely.

@Jill Hives I really liked Mumblin Deaf Ro's book, and one particular scene made me LOL for real (and at length)

Actually Jill if you're in need of a distraction from some unpleasantness and/or ennui this is a really good choice. Not much happening, lots of people being nice to each other and giving one another insightful advice
I recommended it to my parents and they won't stop raving about it - "Mimes! Where does he get his ideas??" ! I really enjoyed it too.

Yes, I read it about 20 years ago and have been meaning to read it again. I don’t remember it being as much of a struggle as you and my sister-in-law (who is also currently reading it) are making it out to be.

(You’re not my sister-in-law are you?)

I have to read this for work book club

from my favourite genre of books, "this one simple trick explains all of history"

My favourite thing about it so far is that when I google it I get loads of results of people summarizing and "distilling" it.

Really enjoyed Emilie Pine's Notes to Self. Challenging myself to read more non-fiction, and this kind of essay style narrative memoir seems to be my way in.

I have to read this for work book club

from my favourite genre of books, "this one simple trick explains all of history"

My favourite thing about it so far is that when I google it I get loads of results of people summarizing and "distilling" it.
Sounds fucking dreadful.

Can someone recommend a book that they got sucked into and couldn't put down? Plus, it was something that actually made them smile and/or laugh? Any genre. I need a good distraction.
Just finished Wolf Hall. Which I could hardly put down. Certainly not a comedy but made me chortle at times. Will get around to Bring Up the Bodies at some stage before the third book of the trilogy comes out early next year.

And started the Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney. Dark stuff, but funny in places as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back