What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Anyone doing the Goodreads challenge for 2019? I'm setting a lofty goal of 60. My goal last year was 40, later upped to 50, and finished on 54, so 60 seems doable.
I'm with ya bro! I think I'll go for 60 myself - I'd be shocked if I reach it though, I came in at about 42 this year. However I did have a period of not reading for a few months...Thanks depression! Lets go 2019`!

2018 was the first year in about 10 years that I've read over 50, my reading habits were terrible since college. Feels amazing to be Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.
Hahaha. I'm also going to go for 50 - If I reach 60 I'll feel very smug.

I'm reading Black House by Stephen King. Started it in December when on holidays and am plodding through it. It's grand, if not great. Then, it's meant to be a sequel to The Talisman, which I haven't read so a lot of the references are lost on me. Still, as a standalone book it's grand.

Just realised now that it's park of the Dark Tower Series too, though where it fits in, I do not know.
It is definitely best read after reading The Talisman and at least a chunk of the Dark Tower books. It provides some detail and background to the Dark Tower world(s) but not essential to the Dark Tower experience.

I've started reading this insane "how to write books" book called The Magic Words

Amazon product ASIN 039329224X

It's full of autistic advice like "Great fiction creates a deliberate emotion in the person experiencing it.... This emotion is achieved authentically through immersing us in the protagonist's real experience, not through cheap manipulation"

I'm kind of getting into it though, it's almost like reading Hobbes.

I've started reading this insane "how to write books" book called The Magic Words

Amazon product ASIN 039329224X

It's full of autistic advice like "Great fiction creates a deliberate emotion in the person experiencing it.... This emotion is achieved authentically through immersing us in the protagonist's real experience, not through cheap manipulation"

I'm kind of getting into it though, it's almost like reading Hobbes.
Those books need to be shredded, I'm sorry, why do they bloody exist.

It is definitely best read after reading The Talisman and at least a chunk of the Dark Tower books. It provides some detail and background to the Dark Tower world(s) but not essential to the Dark Tower experience.
I read the first 4 Dark Tower books but it's so long ago I barely remember. I recall the first 3 being great, then losing interest when reading Wizard and Glass.

Might do things in reverse and read The Talisman next.

Those books need to be shredded, I'm sorry, why do they bloody exist.
That'd be my normal attitude alright but I figured what harm.

Opening it on a random page:

"Your stakes need to be proportional to the size of the action that follows"

INFORMATIVE.

I read the first 4 Dark Tower books but it's so long ago I barely remember. I recall the first 3 being great, then losing interest when reading Wizard and Glass.

Might do things in reverse and read The Talisman next.
I loved Wizard and Glass but my wife loved the first three books and W&G absolutely killed any interest she had in reading on. I guess you just have to live for lengthy flashbacks set in a weird wild west world.

Read Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut. Twas grand like. It's my new and vibrant re-entry into the literary world. I intend putting down the decking phone and reading like fook for a while. Took 4 days to read, so I suppose that's a good sign. Either that or it's short and easy to read!

220px-August_1914_Bodley_Head_Cover_1972.jpg

Two-thirds of the way through this and Jaysus its become a bit of a slog. I hate not finishing novels so I'll probably stick with it but now really wishing I was reading something else.

I'll read it when she's not flavour of the month, i'll just moan about it otherwise.

Finished Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok, not very impressed by it, was fairly shite. I liked Girl in Translation, so was disappointed.

Now started The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen. So far, fairly delightful.

Also, still slogging through The House of the Spirits, Isabel Allende. I've fallen so out of the habit of reading these densely packed sweeping inter-generational epics where 6 years worth of plot passes in 20 pages. I'm slow as fuck, but I'm really enjoying it. It's difficult to get through all of the casual sexual violence you get in these books, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back