What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

I recently read I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith for the first time, which I really enjoyed. It's a lovely light read. I have just started My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki. I'm aiming to read Japanese-set or Japanese-related books for an upcoming trip to Japan in December!

I'm about a third of the way through the Vorrh (finally) and i'm iffy as fuck about it so far. We'll see how it goes. It's engaging enough to keep going anyway.

I'm about a third of the way through the Vorrh (finally) and i'm iffy as fuck about it so far. We'll see how it goes. It's engaging enough to keep going anyway.
Let me know what you think. A friend of mine who has generally similar tastes to me hated it and found it vaguely (or maybe overtly) racist.

Let me know what you think. A friend of mine who has generally similar tastes to me hated it and found it vaguely (or maybe overtly) racist.
Yeah i can see that but i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in that you can probably critique it as having racial "issues" without it being straight up ignorant about race, I'll see where it goes.

I'm reading A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. 700 page novel about 4 friends living in brooklyn, one of whom suffered horrendous abuse as a child. The second half of the book focuses mainly on that character and is told through flashback. It's extremely harrowing but also very moving.
Oh jesus.

Some of my recent reads that I loved:

bury.jpg
Really nice, I'd read another of her books and was surprised that this one was so much more serious. 4/5, enjoyed thoroughly but probably will not remember.

51JDV0m-t4L.jpg

4.5/5, I really loved this book, even though at times it was a battle of endurance. Balled crying, would recommend.

y648.jpg

4/5, another hefty, family drama with lots of feels.

I've just started this. Interesting so far.
Having now finished it I can safely say it is the fucking awful work of a stoned lad being egged on by his mates who convince him that his quarter-baked ideas are the work of a visionary and that his inability to be even slightly coherent is actually next-level poetry and not him desperately trying to hide that he hasn't a clue what he is doing.

It's a book that asks you to trust it so very much without ever giving you a reason to do so.

that and everything is it is just cocks, cocks, cocks cocks

Last edited:
Having now finished it I can safely say it is the fucking awful work of a stoned lad being egged on by his mates who convince him that his quarter-baked ideas are the work of a visionary and that his inability to be even slightly coherent is actually next-level poetry and not him desperately trying to hide that he hasn't a clue what he is doing.

It's a book that asks you to trust it so very much without ever giving you a reason to do so.

that and everything is it is just cocks, cocks, cocks cocks
I do have a weird urge to read the sequels though, just to see if he goes anywhere with the couple of good ideas in there.

This yoke

New-Dark-Age-1050-5927870a2b206657f6b87133d3f776c4.jpg

Prolly the best non fiction book i've read in recent times. Would recommend to one and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back