What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney. I enjoyed this. An easy read which goes off the rails a bit towards the end but was good enough for me to want to read the upcoming sequel.

American Pastoral; just a book I thought I should read since it seems to be part of the literary fabric of books people like to mention.

The only other Roth I've read is the Human Stain which I hated more than you hate Simply Red.

This was... eh....fine. I guess. I liked it on pure skill level as he meandered around, in and out of thoughts and events, a real mastery level there. Otherwise I suppose I just don't really care about the lives of rich Americans having a hard time of it. It's a pity Merry didn't bomb the entire fucking neighbourhood tbh

I wouldn't be against reading more by him (which I was after the Human Stain) but I won't be rushing out to do it. I suspect I have no interest in anything he wants to talk about.

Last edited:
American Pastoral; just a book I thought I should read since it seems to be part of the literary fabric of books people like to mention.

The only other Roth I've read is the Human Stain which I hated more than you hate Simply Red.

This was... eh....fine. I guess. I liked it on pure skill level as he meandered around, in and out of thoughts and events, a real mastery level there. Otherwise I suppose I just don't really care about the lives of rich Americans having a hard time of it. It's a pity Merry didn't bomb the entire fucking neighbourhood tbh

I wouldn't be against reading more by him (which I was after the Human Stain) but I won't be rushing out to do it. I suspect I have no interest in anything he wants to talk about.
The Plot Against America is good. First book of his I read and remains my favourite. Alternate history in which Charles Lindbergh becomes president of the US and starts rounding up Jews. More focused storytelling, less meandering nonsense about women being cows and such, pretty scary given the current political climate.

reading 'boomerang' by michael lewis (he who wrote 'the big short'); it's very funny; he visits the various countries in europe which suffered in the downturn to understand why, and is very amusingly cutting about each one in turn. i've read the chapters on iceland, greece and ireland so far.

reading 'boomerang' by michael lewis (he who wrote 'the big short'); it's very funny; he visits the various countries in europe which suffered in the downturn to understand why, and is very amusingly cutting about each one in turn. i've read the chapters on iceland, greece and ireland so far.

I'll check that one out. I've only read Moneyball but really enjoyed it (it helped that I was already curious about baseball, mind).

The Plot Against America is good. First book of his I read and remains my favourite. Alternate history in which Charles Lindbergh becomes president of the US and starts rounding up Jews. More focused storytelling, less meandering nonsense about women being cows and such, pretty scary given the current political climate.
yeah maybe some day.

But probably never.

I'm sure it is

The Plot Against America - Wikipedia

The novel is told from the point of view of Philip Roth as a child.

oh brilliant

Philip's aunt Evelyn marries Lionel Bengelsdorf and becomes a frequent guest of the Lindbergh White House, even being invited to a dinner party for German Foreign minister Joachim Von Ribbentrop. This causes further strain in the family.
Fantastic, more stories about the struggles of the rich and connected.

He can join the queue.

I didn't think Roth's parents in it where rich themselves but it has been a while since I read it, maybe 2007.

I thought the plot against america was very good, american pastoral was ok, indignation and nemesis too were very good but I found some others of his to be awful like portnoy's complaint, Everyman and exit ghost.

I guess I like his novels where the protagonist isn't old.

Currently reading all for nothing by Walter kempowski

I didn't think Roth's parents in it where rich themselves but it has been a while since I read it, maybe 2007.

I thought the plot against america was very good, american pastoral was ok, indignation and nemesis too were very good but I found some others of his to be awful like portnoy's complaint, Everyman and exit ghost.

I guess I like his novels where the protagonist isn't old.

Currently reading all for nothing by Walter kempowski
Indignation - that was the other one I liked, the one where the protagonist is dead

Next - Jocasta by Brian Aldiss. I'm expecting lots of juvenile bawdiness from this one.

Lots of juvenile bawdiness there was. Very good book, silly and juvenile at times but overall very dreamy and eerie. I've never read Oedipus Rex or Antigone so maybe there's no trace of originality in this book at all but I'd say there is, I love the way he tells stories and this among his better ones.

Just started Alan Moore's Jerusalem. See you in a few years.
View attachment 11482
Still reading this, I was flying through the middle section (it's divided into three books) but got bogged down again by the Lucia Joyce chapter (written in homage to Finnegans Wake, it's fairly dense and long). Really enjoying it so far but hope to finish soon so I can catch up on all the other books waiting to be read.

Speaking of other books, these have been my Luas books lately:
14572326_10154140079598386_2158135241203784328_n.jpg

15107362_10154273212948386_8119159257503048993_n.jpg

15241413_10154301644838386_7093224459913320408_n.jpg

15350729_10154343362358386_663387211297940300_n.jpg

15977448_10154451212643386_1122461096809051516_n.jpg

16388083_10154514564553386_3756907015534829981_n.jpg

16681963_10154572623648386_7073599277023882479_n.jpg

The blue hardback is Erwin Schrödinger's* What Is Life? which was the inspiration for Crick and Watson to work on the structure of DNA. The book is based on a series of lectures he gave in TCD in the 40s and this is TCD's copy of the first edition (it wasn't read on the Luas, it could only be viewed in the library). I was giving a short talk on Schrödinger and the lectures in the lecture theatre where he gave the talk, using the pointer stick that he used on the day. Was pretty cool!

*Yeah, the cat in the box guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back