What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

9781847374509.jpg

Interesting stuff so far. There's probably nothing new in it, but it's well written with the exception of the odd sentence suffering from unnecessary hyperbole. Whether or not political bias creeps into the commentary is up to you I guess.

It provides some useful context on how long the US has been meddling in (read really taking the p!ss and pr!cking about with) it's neighbour's affairs. It's also interesting to know just how far Castro was willing to push things during the missile crisis.

A free cigar with every copy would have been a nice touch....

i finished "Child Wonder" by Roy Jacobsen

51ZVUz7fP9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I found it an excellent read.

Has anyone read his other english translated novel, "The Burnt out town of miracles"?

I'm reading this

51rY4DvWXWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

It's absolutely jaw droppingly incredible what went on, and it's all true.

Everyone should read it.

just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts which was pretty epic and great...sure, it was a little bit too flowery and quaintly philosophical at times, but overall I was left very impressed by this book. The chapter dealing with his time in prison was very vividly painted.

At 940 something pages (the font size was tiny too) it took me a while, but I'm glad I persisted.

8.5/10

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33600.Shantaram

Next up : Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

Bankssurfacedetailcover.jpg

Got this in the mail today from a friend, haven't started it yet- looking forward to reading something non-academic..

n219658.jpg

just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts which was pretty epic and great...sure, it was a little bit too flowery and quaintly philosophical at times, but overall I was left very impressed by this book. The chapter dealing with his time in prison was very vividly painted.

At 940 something pages (the font size was tiny too) it took me a while, but I'm glad I persisted.

8.5/10

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33600.Shantaram

I enjoyed that too. It makes for a good read. Though its told as fact and clearly isn't. Its almost as if too much happens in it. Still +1 on the endorsements for me.

I hope its better than Revolutionary Road.

yawwwnn

Yeah, its pretty good. Haven't read Revolutionary Road, but I imagine its similar, having seen the movie. He writes really clearly and cleanly and then out of nowhere floors you (well, me) with some pretty shocking language/ observation. Not a lot happens of course, but it's more peaceful than dull.

Just bagged Game of Thrones, Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson, The Corner by David Simon and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer at a book sale in work for a tenner. A fine haul.

last week, i finished both "the tiger's wife" by téa obreht and "an evening of long goodbyes" by paul murray (which was his debut book before "skippy dies")

both were good in their own ways. i just really think "the tigers wife" is superb.

currently:

timbuktu - paul auster (this is part of volume three of his collected novels, which i had got in Chapters for €10)
Everything in the country must go - Colum McCann (which i got second hand in chapters)
moth smoke - mohsin hamed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back