What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

at this point i've only read if this is a man and its sequel the truce, but i'd imagine they're the best intro to his work. if this is a man was written immediately after his return home from auschwitz and is about his time there. the truce is about the return journey home. if this is a man is his first book on the subject and it's astonishing. i can't wait to read more

I suppose you're right - makes more sense to start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.

The first one I read was The Wrench. It's fab. No real story line, more a recounting of the experiences of a rigger on various jobs he worked on. It's really mellow.

If Not Now, When is great also, because, as already said, it's like an advenuture novel, only more misadventure.

I would recommend Drowned and Saved after If This Is A Man/The Truce as it was written after it and kinda fleshes out and tries to come to terms with the issues. Drowned and Saved is profound stuff.

Dracula is great

Dracula Unbound bt Brian Aldiss is also well worth a read, Frankenstein Unbound by Aldiss is essential.

Dracula is great. You weren't wrong there. Its gone right to the top of my best books ever read list.

Did lots of holiday reading. Got through;

- Cannery Row by Steinbeck
- East of Eden by Steinbeck
- some of Shantaram (too big to buy while travelling - will finish it when I pick up a copy here)
- half of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (superb - heartbreaking stuff)

Still reading Felix Holt: the Radical by George Eliot - I was a bit disappointed by the Mill on the Floss but this is another class altogether. I have missing Thomas Hardy since i finished his stuff, but Eliot is a worthy replacement.

Thanks for all the Levi tips. I picked up If Not Now, When the other day.

Just finished reading this last night ...

30015793.jpg

It's great in parts, a bit dull in others. But completely essential anyway if you have any interest in this music.

Dracula is great. You weren't wrong there. Its gone right to the top of my best books ever read list.

Did lots of holiday reading. Got through;

- half of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (superb - heartbreaking stuff)

its a long time since i read dracula so i forget most of it now. one deadly bit i remember was when jonathan was in the castle and looked out his window and saw dracula emerge from one window then crawl along the castle wall and go in another window, very creepy. or maybe that was in one of the movies. be sure to check out the aldiss ones.

whats up with this 'and Zombies' phenomenon thats happening at the moment? They seem to be popular. But the idea seems like a lot of shit to me. Has anyone read any of them (the one I know off hand is 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' but I know theres more than this).

whats up with this 'and Zombies' phenomenon thats happening at the moment? They seem to be popular. But the idea seems like a lot of shit to me. Has anyone read any of them (the one I know off hand is 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' but I know theres more than this).
i've not read this but heard it's actually supposed to be quite clever and enjoyable

I recently finished the Gormenghast trilogy, which I started back in the day. It's totally awesome. The prose is very rich and poetic. Book 1 is probably my favorite. Book 3 is very interesting, despite being quite sketchy due Peake's terminal illness. It has quite a few oblique references to the holocaust. The first two books more epitomise social stagnation, characterised by the semi-ruinous castle which the characters inhabit.

I recently read Blood Meridian for the first time. It's a great novel, but it's very one dimensional. The characters don't have a life outside of their depravity and the cruelty of their environment. Because there's not much light or contrast in the book, the events lose some of their impact and end up being slightly tedious. That said, it's really well paced and makes for compulsive reading.

I'm reading The Unlimited Dream Company by J. G. Ballard at the moment. It's good. Bit like a cross between the Atrocity Exhibiton and some of his early stuff. Strangely upbeat though, despite the central character being a bit of a psycho.

Currently on a Philip Roth kick. Finished up The Plot Against America and Everyman, and now moved on to American Pastoral.

Last up was EH Gombrich's A Little History of the World. Great book. Very informative, even for adults.

I recently finished the Gormenghast trilogy, which I started back in the day. It's totally awesome. The prose is very rich and poetic. Book 1 is probably my favorite. Book 3 is very interesting, despite being quite sketchy due Peake's terminal illness. It has quite a few oblique references to the holocaust. The first two books more epitomise social stagnation, characterised by the semi-ruinous castle which the characters inhabit.

i tried reading titus groan on my hols recently but abandoned it after 200 or so pages due to boredom.

imgname--niall_ferguson_the_ascent_of_money---50226711--ascent.jpg

About 50 pages into this and I'm hooked. It's a layman's history of finance/money, really well written thus far at least. I'll hold off on recommending it until I'm finished it though.

Just finished The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. It's a bit of a classic among sport books and it was indeed brilliant. I got the ol' sadness at finishing it.

I'm about to start Jospeh O'Neill's Netherland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back