What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

finally finished this last night
512TJE2JRGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

now its onto tommy smiths biography.

amazing writer. amazing guy
c11687.jpg

I reread The Wrench lately. I hadn't read him in years, but there was a time when I read his books obsessively.

Of the Auschwitz books I think The Drowned and the Saved is more interesting than If This is A Man. Though I think overall If Not Now When is my favourite of his.

It's surprising how little scholarship there is around his writing, the Auschwitz books are constantly namechecked, but there seems to be a polite disregard for his other work, which I think is a shame.

dracula.jpg

picked up a penguin classics version for 2 euro in Easons a while back. Started it yesterday. Pretty compelling. I don't know the story of Dracula (know who he is/was but not the story behind the novel) so its all new to me.

Dracula is great

Dracula Unbound bt Brian Aldiss is also well worth a read, Frankenstein Unbound by Aldiss is essential.

I've been reading Bandits by Eric Hobsbawm for the last week and a half, got as far as page 24 so far. its a history of bandits

Inside Out: a Personal History of Pink Floyd by Nick Mason

Pretty entertaining. No really juicy scandalous revelations but lots of trivia. Norman Smith comes out of it very well, i never knew that it was he played drums on Remember A Day

Out Stealing Horse by Per Peterson. A norwegian writer with a book that splits between old age and childhood memories, sprinkled with episodes that suggest a connection between the two life periods without really being able to draw a clear link. Like many modern books, reading this was a nice place to be and it did leave me with the impression that it was meaningful, but I'd be hard pressed to say what it was about or what i could take from it.

It goes in the 'worth reading once' pile.

Just started Felix Holt the Radical by George Eliot. I was a bit disappointed by the Mill on the Floss but this has started out well.

I also read the august edition of WhatCar magazine, which compared the new Polo to nine other supermini contenders - the Polo came out of top.

I reread The Wrench lately. I hadn't read him in years, but there was a time when I read his books obsessively.

Of the Auschwitz books I think The Drowned and the Saved is more interesting than If This is A Man. Though I think overall If Not Now When is my favourite of his.

It's surprising how little scholarship there is around his writing, the Auschwitz books are constantly namechecked, but there seems to be a polite disregard for his other work, which I think is a shame.

Yeah, I had an obsessive Levi phase too. My favourite one is The Periodic Table, without a doubt. The Drowned and the Saved cuts to the bone though. I underlined most of it when I was 16. Read it again a couple of years ago. Wished I hadn't ruined the book.
If Not Now, When? is a great action story besides anything else.

Yeah, I had an obsessive Levi phase too. My favourite one is The Periodic Table, without a doubt. The Drowned and the Saved cuts to the bone though. I underlined most of it when I was 16. Read it again a couple of years ago. Wished I hadn't ruined the book.
If Not Now, When? is a great action story besides anything else.

The Truce is pretty great as well. I love the Periodic Table too - the story of the lead miner is very memorable. Many of the stories are quite metaphysical, which is pretty unusual.

I've never read any Primo Levi but would like to. If one was to read one which one should it be?

I've never read any Primo Levi but would like to. If one was to read one which one should it be?

at this point i've only read if this is a man and its sequel the truce, but i'd imagine they're the best intro to his work. if this is a man was written immediately after his return home from auschwitz and is about his time there. the truce is about the return journey home. if this is a man is his first book on the subject and it's astonishing. i can't wait to read more

Hmm.
You can go straight to the pure Auschwitz stuff or the other stuff that has Auschwitz always looming in the background.
If the former, read The Drowned and the Saved and then move onto If This is a Man/The Truce (they come together in the usual edition you'll find).
If the latter, try The Periodic Table or If Not Now, When?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back