What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Well written and amusing :)

0141031824.jpg

His Illegal Self by Peter Carey

Started off ok but not great overall. Very poor by his usual standards.

im now on Memoirs of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schreber, a book written around 1903 by a guy recovering from a severe mental breakdown. he thought his doctor had tricked god into entering into a dangerous connection with his nerves which put god in danger himself and so god had no choice but to try to destoy him by whatever means possible, most interestingly by unmanning the patient and leaving his body for the sexual gratification of the hospital attendents. luckily he managed to survive all this to tell the tale which reads a bit like an unusual novel. even though he was apparently recovering while he wrote it he was still obviously completely bonkers.

im now on Memoirs of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schreber, a book written around 1903 by a guy recovering from a severe mental breakdown. he thought his doctor had tricked god into entering into a dangerous connection with his nerves which put god in danger himself and so god had no choice but to try to destoy him by whatever means possible, most interestingly by unmanning the patient and leaving his body for the sexual gratification of the hospital attendents. luckily he managed to survive all this to tell the tale which reads a bit like an unusual novel. even though he was apparently recovering while he wrote it he was still obviously completely bonkers.
this sounds really interesting. where did you pick it up?

i just finished this. it's ok. a collection of mildly diverting short stories
9780349119656.jpg

gonna go to the library and see if they have any dennis cooper today. been meaning to read something by him for ages

Read Dave Eggers's You Shall Know Our Velocity, hard to fault and really speaks to someone my age but still missing something I couldn't quite put my finger on. I loved the main character and loved how he made his own brain almost a separate character but some of his rambling got a bit much at times.

Then read the Great Gatsby at long last and I can see why it's seen as such a classic.

Now onto this, so far so good:

tree-of-smoke.jpg

lushlife-bookcover.jpg

Lower East Side police procedural, brilliantly written. He writes for The Wire (the tv show, not the magazine). Fantastic dialogue.

Just started Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins which is an autobiography cum (literally) kiss-and-tell book by Rupert Everett, which is a hoot to read and surprisingly well written. I still think he should have called it 'Mount Everett'.

I am also reading the new testament just for the crack. Matthew, Mark and luke are basically the same.

Picked up the "The Lost Revolution: The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers' Party" today after all the papers printed extracts from it over the last few days. It looks pretty decent after the first few pages.

61h7MeheI2L._SS500_.jpg

Yeah it was only released yesterday, I got it in Easons. Most newspapers have printed extracts from it or reviewed it since the weekend so it should be very easy to come by.

i've just started reading klaus kinski's autobiography, very good stuff.

the bit i'm at right now he's 14 and plotting how to fuck his sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back