What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

amazing stuff. james lee burke is the greatest american crime novelist

I enjoy his stuff but I find it kind of repetitive. The same plot happens in every novel ...

- some bad guys do something
- robicheaux doesn't get involved
- bad guys do something even worse
- robicheaux loses the head and confronts/beats up/insults bad guys
- bad guys do (or threaten to do) something unbelievably bad to robicheaux or some member of his family or some friend of his
- robicheaux falls off the wagon and goes on a bender
- robicheaux get's his shit together and sorts it out (though not completely as there are no real winners in this game)

I enjoy his stuff but I find it kind of repetitive. The same plot happens in every novel ...

- some bad guys do something
- robicheaux doesn't get involved
- bad guys do something even worse
- robicheaux loses the head and confronts/beats up/insults bad guys
- bad guys do (or threaten to do) something unbelievably bad to robicheaux or some member of his family or some friend of his
- robicheaux falls off the wagon and goes on a bender
- robicheaux get's his shit together and sorts it out (though not completely as there are no real winners in this game)
you forgot about the involvement of the seemingly perfect but deeply corrupt wealthy southern family, with the pedo/rapist patriarch. the new one isn't robicheaux though, it's hack holland who's burke's other protaganist, billy bob holland's cousin. anyway, the plots are secondary to the mesmerising beauty of hs writing, i reckons

Anyone know anything about the new Raymond Carver book?
Here's a decent Guardian article on it. If you're not aware, the theory is that his editor (Gordon Lish) stripped out a lot of material, actually being responsible for his minimalist style. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love has been restored and released as Beginners. I think there's an edition with both available, side by side. Maybe here?

finished The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein last night, good read, quite eye opening

scary reading,very good book though.
just finished this
9781845130824.jpg

who would have thought running around mountains would be such fun?well,i would but im sure people who dont even care for mountains/running would enjoy it.next up is
one-straw_cover.jpg

currently reading

papillon1.jpg

for some reason, even though it's very good it's taking me a while to get through

have Hemmingway's A Moveable Feast, J G Ballard's Crash and a re-read of Dune of lined up.
there's just never enough time

perfecting_sound_m_1457948f.jpg

Tries to cover waaaayy too much ground, but an enjoyable read. I love the way he'll spend three pages forensically analysing the kick drum sound in "When the Levee Breaks" or writing a short essay on "Wingwalker" by Shellac.

maps.jpg

it's good in a foreign novel, shortlisted for booker prize kind of way. i get one book like this for xmas every year. it's about how muslims are crap, and there's probably some message about the nature of love or something.

understanding-comics_500.jpg

Read this mostly on Christmas Day while kinda watching The Incredibles. Very interesting book. Articulated a lot of vague sentiments about art theory (for want of a better term) in an understandable non-pretentious way.

sport_conundrums_answered_123304_13.jpg

Reading this at the moment. Being a big fan of Kuper I've read many of these thoughts before in his Financial Times football bit, but its still a really interesting read and nice to see people looking at football from different angles.

039189-FC50.jpg

My bro got this for me after reading pretty much all of the Chabon ouevre. He swears by them. Looking forward to reading it, and Wonder Boys also.

I also read a little bit of the Book of Revelations from a Gideon Bible in a hotel room. What a loada tosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back